1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping and stopping !!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ball22, Sep 2, 2003.

1. ball22

ball22 Guest

This seems to be a chronic problem with my burnt DVDs.The first 3/4 's of the movie work perfectly. When the movie plays the last few chapters on my stand alone DVD player the movie skips badly and quickly to the end of the film.
    I was using VSO's software to burn and now I tried NERO with the same result.
    I use DVD Shrink to rip files to my computer.
    Also, I use high quality RITEK +R media.
    What is causing me to make so many coasters.
    My computer is P4 2.4gig w/ +800megs of ram, burner is a HP 200i
    HELP !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2003
  2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

It is almost certainly the discs since the symptoms you describe are classic. Some Riteks are not all that good despite reports. If you use DVD Speed you will probably notice a dip in the graph before then end which would confirm this. Try changing the discs and use a +RW to test and check first.

3. ball22

ball22 Guest

This is ridicules, every other DVD has these problems. I burn one movie it's perfect, I burn a different title it skips and freezes thru the last few chapters. What's going on ? I find it hard to believe I am the only one this happens to. A 50 pack of DVD+R yields only 20 watchable movies. What can I do to stop this ?

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

5. Rygaar

Rygaar Member

ball22. I have a very similar (maybe the same) problem. Some DVD's experience skipping back to a previous point in the movie or stopping, or even freezing or staggering towards the end, more so on my tv/dvd combo than on my computer. I'm not sure what causes it, but I always thought that this was due to the quality of the DVD player in use (since it skips less on comp drive). I use DVDShrink to rip, Nero to encode, and Verbatim DVD+R, all of which have a pretty good reputation. Interestingly, Nero does not give me the option of changing my burning speed. Only speed available is 2.4x. Perhaps this is because my dvd burner is a laptop's internal drive, but I have no clue. Please let us know if you ever figure out how to resolve this issue!

6. ball22

ball22 Guest

Rygaar,
    I don't think I will ever figure out what the problem is . My DVD'd do play back in computer's drive just fine. Maybe it is my stand alone DVD player (toshiba) which is DVD+R compatible.
    I thought the more experinced posters on this site would know what may be causing this problem.

7. guydogg

guydogg Member

I have had this same problem, with burning certain movies over 2 1/2 hours long. ie. Minority Report, Harry Potter 2. I have tried burning at 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x. I have also tried using every program known to man. I have used several different types of media (cheap and higher end), and all had the same result.

I just said forget it to the long movies and dont bother with them. I have never had a problem backing up a movie under 2 hrs, and 20 mins long. Strange but true.

8. Rygaar

Rygaar Member

Guydogg. That's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for any relationship between movie length and skipping during playback. Thanks for the heads up. I've had the same problem with minority report. If you're right, I'm guessing one solution would be to split long movies over two DVD+R's. Also, is this problem inherent to DVD+R burners? anybody with a DVD-R has issues?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  9. adouble

adouble Member

i think the problem is that for some reason the software is trying to copy a certain number of chapters on the first disk but it's running out of room. That's why it can only record a second of each chapter since it is forced to make sure there are a certain number of chapters on the dvd. DVD X copy does not let me change the value for the number of chapters to fit before splitting the movie to two dvds. I dont know how to fix this and i am experiencing the same issues.

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Most of you seem to have missed the point I think. Freezing and skipping is mainly, but not exclusively, due to poor disc quality. I would suggest buying a sample pack of discs and trying each brand. It is well known that errors in the manufacturing of cheap DVD-R's results most often in the outer rim of the disc being of inferior quality and sometimes with the dye being smudged. This causes freezing and skipping towards the end of the movie. I would also suggest buying media from a reputable dealer who values customer service so that if you try one disc and you still get the same problems you can send them back for an exchange or refund. I have just returned a batch of 'eclipse' discs to SVP in UK without any problems. I know it's the discs at fault in causing the movie to freeze since it doesn't happen with Ritek discs for example or Pioneer, etc etc. If this happens reagrdless of disc then the burning of the files needs looking at and I would suggest updating Nero (if you use it) to the latest version (or the latest upgrade in the 5.5 series). The same goes for other burning rom programmes, and you should always check the settings. Guydogg: how did you manage to burn at 3x ?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  11. herbsman

I'm very curious as to X3 burning also !?!?

[​IMG]

12. ball22

ball22 Guest

Discmania thanks for your reply..
    I don't think It's the media that causes this problem.
    I shrunk the movie and the problem occured at the same point of the movie on a diffrent area of the disk, While I was at it I split the DVD into 2 Disks the problems occurred on a totally different area of DISK 2!! at the same scenes of the movie. I'm wasting so many disks at this point and I still can't make sense of this. If anyone knows what us going on please advise!!!

13. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Well that points to just one thing. The problem is with the original disc. This does happen sometimes. I've had a movie which refused to rip completely. No matter what ripping tool I used it always stopped at the same point with the same error message even though the movie played completely fine, so I gave up. Although the movie ripped to the end so you were able to burn the movie, the original disc is obviously damaged, atleast the top layer, to the point where you have defective vobs at the end. Try changing the original disc and I bet you will be sorted.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  14. Krumdog

Krumdog Guest

I am a newbie to DVD Burning, but I have also noticed skipping on some DVD's and not others. I have used a few different brands of media and it didn't help.

One thing that I did notice is that the skipping only lasts about 30 seconds in my case and only appears to happen at the change of chapters.

Using Pioneer A05
    DXCX

i don't know if this helps describe the problem that ball22 is having, but if you have any info I would be interrested.

Ball22,
    Are you having intermittant skipping in the DVD? See if it appears to happen around a chapter change.

15. herbsman

The outer edge error is ... either inferior media and/or burn speed !

Ritek G03 & G04 are good quality discs so I would suggest that ball22 reduces burn speed to see if indeed the problem persists after that._X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  16. Discmania

Discmania Active member

When you say you have changed the media what do you mean? There are a lot of DVD-R media out there that produces skipping. What you are describing in skipping at the change of scenes is actually at the changeover of Vobs and this mainly depends on the ripping software you are using. For example I get this sometimes from DVDXCopy Xpress but never after using DVD Shrink.

17. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Herbsman; The poor guy has just explained that the problem occurs at DIFFERENT places on different discs.

18. herbsman

Okay DISCMANIA

He has not at any point said whther he took advice & burnt at X1 (if available) though all throughout this post [as suggested a long time ago] , maybe that would be the problem !!!

19. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I'll bet you money it's the original disc! (are you listening ball22)? Personally I don't believe burn speed has much to do with skipping anyway. If it did we wouldn't have different write speed discs or burners since people would have sussed the catch by now.

20. herbsman

Burn speed can have something to do with it if forcing higher speed through f/w flash upgrade...

Also if not using DVD Decrypter to rip the original , I'd suggest to try that with 'ignore read errors' checked in the option box.