1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping at end of movies, but using high-quality disks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LectricJ, Mar 14, 2007.

1. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

I read another thread on here that seemed to be having the same problems as I was. About halfway to three-quarters of the way through the movie, the quality will go to hell, and picture or audio will cut out every few seconds.

In the other thread it was sugested that the blank disks were the problem, but I've started using high quality ones like Verbatim and the problem is still there. I use DVD43 to break the encryption and I've tried a bunch or different burning programs, but I usually stick to DVD Shrink. Just replaced the DVD burner a few months ago, which didn't help either. Any ideas?

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

hello, thanks for searching first,

What speed r u burning at?

What burning programs did u try?

Shrink is not a burning program.

Might need a firmware update?

3. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

I thought DVD Shrink burns, it lets me set the destination as a CD instead of an ISO or a folder.

Other than that, I've tried 1 Click DVD, Nero Express, Roxio, and Clone DVD. I usually burn around 12x.

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

DVD shrink autoburns with either dvd decrypter, ImgBurn, Nero

Open Nero InfoTool and found out what the make and model and firmware is for ur burner.
    heres a pic
    [​IMG]

5. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

Alrighty, mine is D:\PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D

Firmware Version: 1.06

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Same burner as mine.

There is a firmware update, the newest is 1.29, although i am running 1.23 and have not had any problems burning with Taiyo Yuden and Verbatims.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2220

the choice is yours, pick the one u want to update to.

BTW, is that burner an OEM or did u buy it seperate?

U could also try burning them verbs ar 8x too.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What a coincidence. Both you guys have the Pioneer 111D!!!!

I believe 1 click dvd uses Copytodvd to do the burning. That program can also do the autoburning with dvd shrink.

What drive/s show those issues when you watch them? Stand alone player or PC? Probably a 95% chance it's a stand alone player.

Make sure that pioneer 111D can play them,especially the area-so take notes of the time they occur and watch that area on your pc.

2 different burners + using different quality media + tried several burn programs= same playback issues:

That sounds more like a stand alone player issue. Verify the backups using the pc. Test those backups in other stand alone players and see how they react when watching the area of disc at fault.The pioneer should play it's own backups and they should look near original in quality.

If no other drives shows those issues,and narrowed down to 1 stand alone player,try running a laser lens cleaning disc in the stand alone player that is at fault. This is a last resort,before player replacement. Those lens cleaning discs are known to ruin drives.

You've narrowed down a lot of the usual culprits of burn engine,media quality,and drives.

Ty and Verbatim media: Keep that firmware updated,burn at 8x.When using quality drives,they tend to burn better at a faster speed. Verbatim were designed to be burned fast.

Keep compression to a minimum-main movie only.

Don't use sticker labels in case you had them slapped on your backups.I can't tell you the gobs of members like you that had the exact same issues and the culprit was sticker labels.

Keep harddrive/s defragged

No multi-tasking during the dvd backup process.

You may even want to reduce the backup target-to keep the burn from reaching the outer edge. That usually takes care of issues that are on the end of your backups:

Dvd shrink/edit/preferences/click on dvd-5/set to custom/enter 4360/ok

8. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

300bowler:

I bought that drive seperatly to replace a defective one that came with the computer.

So I updated the firmware to 1.23, but now the Nero InfoTool is only letting me set the read speed as low as 40x and the write speed as low as 32x. Is there another way to change this? As I can recall DVD Shrink doesn't give you the option before burning.

saugmon:

I play them on 2 stand-alone players, both of which show the problem. They're under a year old, so I don't think they're faulty, but I haven't tried playing them on the PC. I label them with Sharpies, so that isn't it, and almost always burn the main movie only, including when it's low enough not to be compressed with the special features. Disk is defragged, I don't multi-task, and I make sure that I turn off all the programs in the task bar, including anti-virus scanners. Turned the disk capacity to custom like you suggested, I'll test it out when I get the burn speed down.

9. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'm not sure of your backup process.

Are you ripping with dvd shrink and autoburning with nero?

I encounter that problem with that same setup when using a pc with a single drive. Dual drives,and you'll have more increments of burn speed.

Example: If using +8x sony in my single drive pc with the Benq 1620,shrink will tell me I can only burn at 1x/2x/2.4x/and max. Slow burning can be bad,as well as max. That benq will burn those +8x sony discs at 16x if left at max.

What I did was when I opened up dvd shrink/open disc/allow for the quick analyzation/click backup: I'd create a folder for that movie to go into,set burn speed to anything on there/double check the rest of the backup options/and then click OK.

When shrink gets through with the encoding,it'll spit out the original disc. Instead of slapping in an empty disc,cancel the burn. The files will be on your harddrive,so remember where you sent them.

Then open up dvd shrink/Open files/Locate that movie folder on your HD/shrink will do another 30 sec analyzation/click backup/now see what burn speed options there are so you should have a lot more burn speed increment choices. You'll have to send those files into a different folder,so make a folder that says Old Dvd movies or something like that.So you'll have 2 folders on your harddrive with the same movie in case you have limited hd space. Then you can erase 1 of them in case you need extra copies or delete them both.

There's other ways of doing it,but that's the way I used to do it.

Dual drives do make it easier and sweeter. You can use a dvd-rom drive or another dvd-rw drive to do the reading. It also saves the heavy burden of ripping from your pioneer burner,making it last a lot longer.

11. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I've got 110d also I run Anydvd,Shrink and burn with Dvd Decrypter if Shrink won't work I use Ripit4me with FixVTS then it runs through Shrink and burns with Decrypter works like a charm.I've got a Sony burnner that reads the 110D burns it . That F--king Sony will not burn a movie without the Legos (updated and updated the firmware) but the Sony Sucks. It reads fine but 110D burns Great.I burn at 4x, I set that up in Decrypter.

12. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

u have to set that up before doing the encoding part if u r autoburning with shrink, here is where to change the burn speed.
    [​IMG]

or r u having the problem described by saugmon?

13. LectricJ

LectricJ Member

I've got dual drives, so 300bowler's solution worked like a charm. Just backed up a copy of the Shining and it went perfectly. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated. Cheers.

14. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

glad to see u got it all sorted out.

Happy burning