1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping at ends of chapters

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by saint4c, Dec 19, 2004.

1. saint4c

saint4c Member

I have been using shrink for a very long time now and have had no problems until recently. Every 2 out of five discs now skip at about 2/3rds of the way through the film. And on discs that have small chapters that play indenpently of one another, the ones in the middle skip. I have read that this could be a problem with media, but I have been using Ritek G04's for about 6 months with no problems. Could by Burner be getting tired? We burn about two to three a day. If so is there any wat to check?

Please, any help would be appreciated.

AMD Athalon XP +2600
    Nvidia GeForce 4
    400+ GB ROM
    1.25 GB RAM
    Lite On DVD-R/-RW 811s

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. colw

colw Active member

Are you using labels on your burnt DVD's??

If so, these will deteriorate over time and cause playback/skipping/freezing problems.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello saint4c, Sound like a media problem. I been reading a lot of issues on the ritek g04's. It may need a firmware update.This may help you get started. Are the G04's you using now from a different lot? Later

4. saint4c

saint4c Member

Hello,

I am using printable G04 Ritek -R all from the same lot. I ordered 100 DVDs and it was only now that I am burning the last 10 or so DVDs that I am having a skipping problem. This is why I think it is not the media. I ordered new DVDs and the same problem arises.

Thanks

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How do those g4 backups look when you play them on your pc?That new batch you got, were they from the same place as your last batch?

6. saint4c

saint4c Member

The new batch is from a different source. The playback on the PC is the same result as on the stand alone player. I am running out ideas except for buying a new burner. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

7. JiN.x

JiN.x Member

I know that I always expect at least a few of my DVD's to not work when I get them in bulk like 100s. I've read also on this forum somewhere, sometime ago...that others have the same problem with their last few DVDs.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I couldn't locate the specs for lite 411L,I did find the 411s. That 411s said it was dual format. Can you try some maxell +/-4x? You also may have to flash your firmware.You might want to clean the laser in your burner,try compressed air. I have been hearing a lot of people using the cleaning discs are ruining their lasers.. Just a few more things to try as a last resort.Some members have 500 + burns and no problems. The flashing should be the last resort.Is this an external burner?Good luck

9. saint4c

saint4c Member

I just realized that the model of the burner is 811s not 411 It is an internal drive and I am going to try the compressed air to see if that helps. I am glad you said not to use cleaning discs' b/c I was about to try that too. Again I thank you all for your help.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey saint, did you try a small pack of maxell's yet?

11. saint4c

saint4c Member

I will try a new brand. But I am convinced that using the same brand with the same burner and the same version of Shrink with about 100 discs with no problems that the media is not at fault. I have a new package of G04's and the same problem arises. I am still curious if my burner could be at fault. I would like any advice about the possibility of the burner not working properly. And yes, I have updated the firmware a long time ago. Is there a need to do it again if it has been a while? I am very grateful to all who are helping. Thank you