1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

skipping discs

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bobgeoff, Mar 12, 2005.

1. bobgeoff

bobgeoff Member

ok....this is really pissing me off. have just burned about 50 dvds using dvd shrink then nero, and have started watching them only to discover that they keep pausing, jumping and generally not working. also only half of them will work in standalone dvd players (says invalid disc format on my alba dvd player). am burning to 8xdvd-r discs.
    please help me, i need to know if marissa screws luke....

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

well what brand of discs did you use?
    what speed did you burn them at?

3. bobgeoff

bobgeoff Member

these budget discs from novatech, burned most of them at 8x, but started having failures on the second pack so was burning them at 6x

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

if you'll try some good discs then I think your problem could be cured....
    Cheap discs(quality not price) are one of the largest causes of backup failures...

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

suggestions as per previous guys , plus do some forum searching, try things like lowering speed, etc etc, but do some searching. good luck

Rich

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Nice going zippyd,

Heres some useful help for you!!!!!

@ bobgeoff:
    theres a really good piece of info put out by scubapete on the wonders of backing up.Cant find the link but heres the long version.Enjoy the reading

andmerr

First off, we need you to change your media, Memorex is an excellent example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example., Princo, Fuji, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 RiData, Ritek, TDK, Sony or Verbatim discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Orange Pack, Princo, Fuji, Great AZO and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts varying amounts, true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

(footnote added march 05)

quote: The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.

Eliminating errors and going for the "Best burn" ~ Tips ~

When attempting to achieve the best burn, consider reducing that burn speed to the 4X area. Iffin you have a new 16X, DL burner, you'll probably do well at 6X. It is my feeling that 8X and over leads to occasional coasters, even when using top grade stuff such as Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable. As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

For the best online media stores to shop, try –

Mertline.com
    http://meritline.com/

Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

And,

Supermediastore.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

Something to watch out for, ~>
    In today's market, now more than any other time, beware of pirated fakes.

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality.
    Fake Taiyo Yuden media, and the current quality of RITEK products is discussed here. Is the quality of Verbatim affected by the fact that they are now outsourcing production to CMC, and Moser Bayer?
    http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/dvd-r_media_report.cfm

The DVD recordable media market: What's up with RITEK?
    What a convenient timing - few days after we publish articles about the quality issues on the DVD recordable media market, RiDisc promises to start delivering premium quality. They use strong words in describing their new RiDisc Xtreme products - "Grade AAA+ RITEK G05" and "zero tolerance quality control".
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/ritek_dvd-r_quality.cfm

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6090.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
  7. creaky

andmerr - i deliberately keep my replies as short as possible. I firmly believe in giving pointers, but not regurgitating war and peace, as usually the answers are there somewhere. I am all for encouraging ppl to do the groundwork themselves but not get bogged down with spoon-feeding the entire thing. If nothing else you i and the poor new posters get bogged down with info overload

Rich

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  8. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

@creaky...
    I too don't believe in spoonfeeding but really your post does nothing but pad your post count...there's really no beneficial info to be gained....

9. creaky

each to their own, but as you guys have already given loads of pointers i'd just added a gee-up. Not bothered about post counts meself; i'll meet ya halfway about benefit of my post, i did suggest lowering speed so post was vague, but as a post it put across the point i intended - ie read up on what previous posters had said, look at lowering the speed but more importantly do some searching. I get huge benefit from forums like this, i do give back but not in huge detail unless its a new protection like arccos and i can give specific help. ( I been posting re Res Evil 2 etc on Decryptor forum). I can search and find everything necessary to fix most of my problems whether hobbies like dvd burning, or work stuff ie Solaris/Veritas/etc etc - the key here is i search for myself first and foremost.

But i see why you would think what you think, hopefully the above will clarify. Remember, each to their own.

Rich

10. bobgeoff

bobgeoff Member

ok checked out that link you gave and my discs are listed as one of the fake low quality ones - the tyg02 fakes from 'budget'. i guess that's what i get for paying £15 for 100....

11. rwinegar

rwinegar Member

I don't think speed is nearly as important as the quality of the blank. I burn all my backups at 16X on Verbatim +R. I have never had a problem. Once I tried some low quality DVD+R's from Staples. The error rate was 50% and I returned them. I learned my lesson.

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

speed is different for every one ,if it works for you at the higher speeds then thats cool but in general the higher the speed the more durable the disc has to be otherwise this is where the errors start to creep in, so 4X is mostly recommended

13. creaky

yer i personally stick to 4x on even tho i now use 8x verbatim datalifeplus discs. 15mins to rip a film on my more-than-quick enough pc, a movie at 4x is only a paltry 15min burn time, haven't tried 8x on these discs as 15mins is nothing. I think as time goes on we all take things for granted, ie 4GB of data transferred in 15mins!, thats what over 10MB/second, pretty damn good.

Rich