1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping Movies using DVDclone and DVD-Copy

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Flaming, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Flaming

Flaming Member

I have been experiencing a lot of skipping/freezing when burning backup movies. I think my AMD 2600 w/256ram was cheaply made. I have added a pioneer A04 DVD burner. Should seek to replace the cheap RAM chips with more reliable Kingston quality? I have notice that many other programs getting errors, too. I may increase RAM to 1GB. Are there any suggestions as to running benchmarking programs to determine system efficiency?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Out of all the information you've provided, you've left out the most important when it comes to skipping and freezing .....

What brand of media are you using? And, what speed are you burning at?

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

flip has hit it right on the head. This is a prime example of bad media. Try Ritek G04 4x-R or Ridata 4x +R. You can get them at meritline or newegg for under .50 each w/free shipping.

As flip said fast burns can also cause more errors, I never burn over 4x, sometimes 2.4x if having a problem, not to mention 8x or more is much higher in cost...:>)

4. hbobbitt

hbobbitt Member

I have been having similar problems, and been trying various media. I was unable to find the Ritek media at my local computer stores, and after looking at NewEgg, I find at least 10 different Ritek DVD media of the +R and -R formats (my drive supports both) with varying prices. I was looking for a "G04" or "G05" tag in the description, but did not see one. If anyone has a moment to look, could you suggest one by Model or Item number? My drive is a LiteOn 411 (supports +/-R and RW up to 4x).

Thanks a million in advance!
    Hunter

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hbobbitt,
    Look here. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-325&depa=0
    I think you will find that lite-ons perform better with dvd+r media. These are probably ricohjpnr01 and are hard to beat for the price. They're all I use with my litey and will even burn at 8x and play back perfectly on my set top dvd player. You can even get them for less if you buy a 100 pk.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hbobbit, Here is the link for BRANDED ridata 4x +R at meritline:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-plus-blank-media.html

Here is the link for all BRANDED Riteks including G04 and G05 4x -R at meritline:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

I would remind you to ALWAYS get "branded" media :>)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  7. hbobbitt

hbobbitt Member

Thanks for the quick response! I will try the RiData blanks with my next purchase.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No problem, good luck. btw, meritline ships to me immediately and I get them in 2-3 days(that's w/free shipping!) :>)

9. epis0de

epis0de Member

Also, with this skipping of dvds I have found out that it maybe the media that you use but also the quality of the recording. I use dvdclone, and when the quality of the dvd is lower that is 40% or lower I get a DVD that skips. I have had 3 dvds out of 40 or so that I have burned that were that low that skip.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Here are some "Tips" to help you through the "Cheap media" phase -

1. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

2. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program.

Cheers,

Pete