1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKIPPING

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jeesh, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jeesh

jeesh Guest

I've been using Shrink to backup DVD's. I have then been watching them on my PS2 and they play fine though on my friends DVD player they tend to skip a bit. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening. Also is it possible in Shrink to select a different burning program other than Nero?

2. colw

colw Active member

This question has been asked and answered many hundred of times - try the search button at top of page for some answers.

Problem invariably due to:
    1. Poor quality media - Ritek, Verbatim or TY's suggested.
    2. Burning too fast (max 4X suggested).
    3. The use of labels on burnt DVD's.
    4. Media incompatible with standalone player.

You can use any burning program you like if you untick the burn with Nero option in Shrink and save yours files to a folder.

3. jeesh

jeesh Guest

Really? Can labels have an effect on how DVD's play? Cause I've been backing up PS2 games and movies and have been having problems with freezing and skipping. I've just got into labels cause they look so much better. I've been using Ritek G04 burning at 2x by the way.

4. flabob

flabob Regular member

i had the same proble jeesh

what i did was get a firmware update and made sure the writeing speed on the media was correct....also..i found that dvd+rw's skpped alot...but when i bought a new dvd player..that played all formats of discs...like dvd +r -r's..+rw's etc.... i had no problems after that....the dvdplayer cost me 45 bucks at wal-mart....it will play a rubber tire..lol...well worth it...saves a lot of aggravation....hope this helps

bob

5. Geezerrob

Geezerrob Member

I also had the same problem and fixed it by replacing my dvd player after trying everything else I read here. I have no more skipping since getting the new player.

Geez

6. colw

colw Active member

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The two most common causes I've noticed that can give you a skipping problem are bad media batches and disruptions while backing up(screen savers, internet, background programs, malware) I'f your afraid of screen burn in, you can go to power options in the display properties and set your monitor to shut off rather than go to screen saver mode. Most importantly make sure your firmware is up to date.

8. jeesh

jeesh Guest

what is firmware? is that the DVD Rom drivers?

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Basically it's a set of instructions for your drive to be able to recognize discs and handle them properly.

10. jeesh

jeesh Guest

where can i get a firmware update for Sony DW-U18A?

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

My recomendation?
    From Sony of course. They should have a section of their site dedicated to it. Try google using your drive model and adding firmware in the search text.

There are other "hacked" firmwares available but I don't have the spare change to buy a new drive if I fry it using someone's hack. Installing the wrong firmware can render your drive useless and quite possibly (worst case scenario) fry it.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

also, it's always worth backing off the size of the rip, in case your media is a bit crap. have tried the 4300MB size, sometimes still skips on my media so for now am sizing all burns to 4GB or so.

13. J_man

J_man Regular member

Make sure the player you are trying to use has a clean lens,spiders to to envade once in a while and cake it up good.