1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky in Spain?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by GeoffR, Apr 27, 2011.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

I have a non HD box & suscribe to Sky in the UK. I also have a 1.9 mtr dish at our home in Spain but need to transport the box between countries.
    Ques:
    I would like to only travel between Spain/UK with the card and not the box & pay one subsription. I have no objection to paying for either multiroom or a new HD box but dont want to pay for two subscriptions.
    Can anyone advise me. Id prefer not to go down the "use a computer connection route".
    many thansk for reading this & for any assistance you pass on to a "not very computer literate pensioner!!"

2. sb18180

sb18180 Regular member

buy a sat box that reads the sky card like the blade bm7000s which is a true 1080p hd/3d box(£149) and has a multicrypt card reader which will take sky and other cards also dream boxes but are a bit more complicated as images are required.then just take your card with you when you go. get the dish motorised and with a dish that size there would be loads of other sats you could recieve other than astra 28.2e which have free channels to watch and the boxes above would pick them up.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. nellymcd

nellymcd Member

Apparently the box and card are paired. You can ring Sky with the other box serial number (and make of box) and transfer the pairing before you leave home, then transfer it back when you return. Messy but possible.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

Many thanks and WOW!
    I don't even watch all the channels that I have at present so a motorised dish has no attraction for me. Thanks anyway for the thought.
    A few questions & answers please
    1. I buy a "Blade Box" (whatever that might be!!)
    2. Would I still have the Sky Plus availability to record?
    3. I would like HD as my UK TV & soon to be bought, Spanish TV have that facility. Is that available on both TV's?
    3. Would I use the Sky remote?
    You appear at first reading to have answered my prayers. Please remember that I am just an ordinary Joe who just wants to open the door of both homes, sit down, and, most likely watch Sky sports!!
    Smone else has kindly suggested that I call Sky each time I leave the country with the Serial number of the box that I want Sky progs on. Is that an idea? You can see this reply on the current thread , I think.

5. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

true cards are paired. hence the idea of boxkey in cccam that allows the user to buy a £50 dreambox and share his sub to his spanish apartment. just managed to do likewise in a small island off the mainland while borrowing the necessary bit of internet off house bout 2 miles distant. techno is sweet at times!!!!

6. sb18180

sb18180 Regular member

1. proper name for the blade box is blade bm7000s take a look at them at www.blademedia.tv
    2. blade boxes do record with a usb stick or hdd plugged in.
    3. blade is full 1080p hd as well as 3d if you have a 3d tv.
    4. it comes with its own remote control.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

Thanks again.
    I Bought, and returned the next day, a Fergason TV box thingy in Spain at cost of 200 euro, which sounds very similar to what you suggest. I returned it as it was a "Faf" to use. I think that I will pay for "hold luggage" and transport the box between countries. It does appear that Sky have sown up all the gaps!! Once again, my many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
    Geoff Rhodes

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

Sounds great! Unfortunately, I am very untechnowise (if thats a word!!) Fancy a couple of days at a nice villa near Murcia to sort this out!!!!

9. sb18180

sb18180 Regular member

take me with u lol ive gotta wait till end of june for my spanish trip 9weeks and countin .bad idea takin a sky box to spain that is my perfect excuse to go sit in a bar to watch sky lol

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

Why is it a bad idea to take a Sky box to Spain............or are you just joking!!

11. sb18180

sb18180 Regular member

only joking mate but i dont think i would like the airlines to carry anything electrical in hold luggage unless it is very very well packed they smashed up 2 suitecases in my last 2 visits to spain.thank god i took my laptop as hand luggage.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

the blade would seem to be the best solution for many reasons
    1/ it has HD
    2/ it is easy to program
    you do not need sky remote or anything sky. all you need in spain is a dish pointed at 28.2 degrees, a cable from this dish that will connect to the blade and a hd connector from blade to tv. then read the manual.

while the trip to murcia would be nice i don't think it will be necessary :)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Member

Sorry for delay in responding. I have family here (two teenagers) who monopolise this pc!!
    A liitle info about me:
    I was once bought a thing called a "workmate" which is a portable workbench. It came in flatpack to be assembled. After 2hrs efforts,I had to ask my brother in law to assemble it!! So your item "2" wont work for me. The offer of a hol trip is still available!!
    Many thanks for taking the time to try to assist me.
    Regards
    Geoff

14. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i would not bring my sky box away,if it gets broken,do you pay for replacement,also as said in luggage possible damage also no hiding stuff inside,thought i read somewhere box was not to leave uk and might be detained on arrival so not sure there.