1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Card method

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xtinction, Feb 17, 2004.

1. xtinction

xtinction Member

Has ne1 actually tried the slide card mod yet? I just wanted to know if it was as effective as the mod chips or if i am better off just getting a mod chip. And if so which chip would be the best pick? Im pretty sure i have one of the first version PS2 consoles considering i got it as soon as it came out in the US.

2. shabaz

shabaz Member

Hey, I'm wicked new here, and haven't really tried either method, but from what I've read, the slide card works just as well as a mod and is cheaper, but at the same time it is a bit of a hassle to load games this way. You might want to check out this website http://www.slide-card.com/gfx/media/slide-card_movie.mov It demonstrates how a slidecard is used, if you think it looks like too much of a hassle, then you should go with a mod I guess. good luck

3. B00tZ

B00tZ Guest

Your final decision should depend on your needs -

i.e.-

[bold]Expense[/bold]
    If you aldready have a boot disk ( swap magic - game shark (usa scex region dependant) - action replay 2 ( europe scex region dependant) there are other non mod exploits and disks to boot with but if you dont have access to one you have to take the price of one of these into consideration.

[bold]Ease of use[/bold]
    If you want hassle free no swapping to boot your PS2 dvd or cdr based backups then go for the chip - but remember that the older the ps2 is it may not have that much life left in it -- Expense versus life expectancy is another variable in your problem

[bold]Useability[/bold]
    OK so you gonna go for the swipe card method - i repair ps2s for a living and find that generally damaged ps2s have been dropped or manhandled - the swipe card method is easy once you do it 2 or three times but subtlety and gentle perseverance are a must if you are heavy handed or unsure about your ability to competantly try this method, my advice is DONT DO IT - you'll damage your ps2

[bold]Personal Needs[/bold]
    If you want to play online certain chips can be detected and disable your online functionality
    This isnt affected utilising the swipe/knife/fliptop methods. The warranty on your ps2 will be affected through chipping whereas carefully removing and replacing the cd tray cover will not - and with sxny repairing misalligned ps2s FOC in many countries this variable in the equation cant be ignored.

Whichever method you choose good luck

^_^

4. account

account Guest

man i think everyone here is starting to get tired of all these newbie questions but i'll answer anyways.

the slide card does work and there is a cheaper chip then the slide card and swap magic discs and that chip is the magic 3.1 you can buy one for $14 at a couple of sites and $20 at many sites but if you got your ps2 when it first came out then you probably should think about getting a newer ps2 cause the lasers in the originals are bad and die quickly when you use backups. but if you got the nwest model of ps2 you can only play dvd games with the slide card so if you do get a newer model go for the magic V or the dms 3. also the slide card doesn't play all games unless you use cd loaders wich from past experience can be a hastle. hope this answered your question.

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

5. hdawg87

hdawg87 Member

here is a real newb question, what is a mod chip? what does it do? and why do you want one?

6. scratch77

scratch77 Member

7. xtinction

xtinction Member

well after i posted i found out i have a version 4 ps2 so its not the newest.....although i have been having problems a lot more lately with it not reading regular ps2 games and i have to keep ejecting and putting it back in to get it to read it