1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide-Card vs. Flip-top vs. non-solder modchip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kablooie, Jun 30, 2003.

1. kablooie

kablooie Member

I'm looking into the various ways to mod PS2's. The slide-card looked simple until I realized what it could do to your cd drive, but it still looks like an option. Could someone please inform a newbie on the pros and cons of these mods? I am experienced with tinkering with the insides of PCs, but I am still a little reluctant to open my PS2 (which is what brought me to the slide card). I'd like to gather up as many opinions as possible before I go into this, as im quite the newbie right now.

2. Workshed

Workshed Guest

if you wanna go for one of those methods then personally i would go for the no solder mod, i had one until a week ago and it performed great with swap magic and doesnt make ure ps2 look a bit cack like the flip top. Though after now having had a magic 3.1 installed i would have to say to go for a soldered no swapping mod!

3. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I would go with the fliptop because it's very easy to install (even though you have to open up the cover), it's easier to use than the slide card, and it is more efficient than the no solder chip which sometimes blows fuses which damages your system (so I've heard).

4. kablooie

kablooie Member

I watched the video on how to use a slide card and it seems extremely simple to use, plus I can make my own. Is it really that hard to operate? As I said, I am very reluctant to open up my PS2 case as I hear it is very easy to damage some parts of the system.

5. Workshed

Workshed Guest

its REALLY easy to install both the no solder mod and the flip top! the only way u might blow a fuse with the no solder is coz the tray automatically closes after a couple of seconds so if u get anything jamming the tray open then it might blow a fuse.

6. kablooie

kablooie Member

I've narrowed it down to flip-top or slide-card. I've been hearing a lot of "using a slide card is really dangerous" so I'm starting to have second thoughts about that. What are the pros and cons?

7. psx245

psx245 Regular member

i would say that no solder mod is better than fliptop. It doesn't blow fuses its so easy to install. It doesn't make your ps2 look weird too and slide card can do some damage to your ps2._X_X_X_X_X_[small]right???[/small]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  8. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

<<< slide-card user (made my own) :) nothing easier than playin backups with slide-card (in no-mod category).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I would definately take the slide card or fliptop over the no solder mod because the no-solder is harder to install, is more likley to do damage to your ps2(even more than the slide card), and doesn't work as efficently as either of the other two products. Also, I would take the fliptop over the slide card because it is easier to use and it doesn't damage your ps2. The fliptop is really easy to install, all you have to do is switch your current cover with the fliptop.

10. billz

billz Active member

there all great here my ratings
    1)no-solder(very easy install and no cosmestic changes
    2)fliptop(works but i find it very cheap and unflatering looking
    3)slip card(little comestic change,but damages seems likely to me.

note anybody can do these modes and done correctly have little chance of doing damage.
    i suggest whatever you do order from a company you can trust

11. toygt4

toygt4 Member

I haven't heard of slide-card damaging any systems, however I have heard of SEVERAL ps2's completely becoming not usable after installing no solder mod.

My flip top and swap magic discs should be here within the next few days.

12. billz

billz Active member

everybody "heard" something somewhere but unless you no for sure don't post.I did not say it would damage anything, i just stated it "seems likely to me" and i also said doing thing CORRECTLY has LITTLE chance of damage.So please read the post instead of trying to pick it apart.Im glad you enjoy or about to enjoy a fliptop why don't you just talk about that.

13. kablooie

kablooie Member

Yes billz, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Hearing speculation or what some of you heard doesn't really give me any facts. Are there any of you out there who actually had damage done to your PS2 by a slide card? That is what I really want to know.

14. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

[bold]kablooie[/bold] - no.

Ok, lets straighten this whole Slide-Card thing out...

The only ways you can damage your ps2 doing this are:

*pushing the white pin too fast & applying to much force on it

*pulling the cd tray too fast

But now, since you know you're aware of these things you can't really damage your ps2... just be careful.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  15. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have only used the flip top so I can't speak for the rest, but the flip top installation is very easy and you have minimal chance of damaging your PS2. The worst thing likely to happen is to crimp a wire in the reset/eject harness putting the cover back on, and there are places that sell replacements for those.

16. toygt4

toygt4 Member

When I hear something, that means I know for sure. I've talked with several people that HAVE blown fuses with the no solder mod.

Billz - you say unless you know for sure don't post. Well then you shouldn't post about how damages with slide-card seem "likely" to you...thats speculation and a very hypocritical statement lol.

17. y2jhac88

y2jhac88 Member

These choices all come down to whther or not you want to take the risk with your PS2.

The No-solder Mods aren;t that tought to mod because you aren't going in the system to far. JUst really plug and play. However the mod is known for blowing fuses in PS2s. Ask yourself whether or not you want to risk this?

The slide-card is known to damage PS2s as well. You are using the eject tray in a way it wasn't meant to. Because of this, you should expect there being a chance for your console to be damaged. Ask youself again, do you want to risk it?

The flip top cover to me seems to be the best with the least amount of risk. All you are basically doing is changing the cover of your PS2. And if you get the right coulour, it does look good. Also, this mod has not been known for damaging the system. Another plus, is that it can be updated with new CDs that keep coming out for Swap Magic.

18. oliver123

oliver123 Guest

Can anybody tell me where did you get the best price for slide card @@@@ 2nd i now how how to fix any ps2 proplems !@#$%^& post a message !@#$%

slide card can do nothing to your ps2 exepct brake the front of the cd slide but could be pasted @@@
    no solder stinks also flip top

19. Jerrod19

Jerrod19 Guest

My name is Jerrod and I am new to the modchips so I have recently purchased a slide card from www.modchipinc.com for 29.00. All want to know do the slide card have to use GS2 or a AR2.

20. hybridsun

hybridsun Member

Jerrod19, what do you mean? Are you talking about if you have to use the GS2 to boot games or if you can still use them to cheat? the SMD should work just fine to boot the games.