1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Card w/Magic Swap 3.2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dougied, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Dougied

Dougied Member

I am thinking of purchasing this...Slide Card w/Magic Swap 3.2 from....
    http://www.modchip.ca/products/ps2/swap_sld.php
    Has anyone useds www.modchip.ca? is this a reliable site?

This will work on my v7 correct? And this is all i will need to play my burned games... becasue some boot disks seem like they need a modchip installed also

I am unsure of what a Slide card is can someone please tell me.. Does it just open up the cd tray in the ps2???

2. imnobody

imnobody Member

DON'T BUY IT!

im not saying their not reliable, but i got mine cd and dvd disc with the slide card for 19 dollars and paid 5 dollars for shipment total: 25 dollars. i don't remember, but i don't think i paid for taxes.

http://www.the-console-corner.com/swap_magic_ps2_boot_cd.htm

thats where i bought mine and received in good condition and it's the cheapest that i have found yet.

3. imnobody

imnobody Member

i forgot to mention i also have a v7

4. Dougied

Dougied Member

to imnobody it says on the site "You just have to add a no solder modchip or Magic Case to modify your console" did you do this?? mabey this is why this one is cheaper

5. imnobody

imnobody Member

i use a slide card that came with it and i still have the receipt dated back to 01/26/2004

6. convolute

convolute Regular member

You can, but do not have to use a no-solder modchip with the swap magic disks, although I have heard they run the risk of blowing a fuse. This method allows you to use the eject button but still bypass the security check which typically runs when you use the eject button. Just put in the swap disks, let them load up, and eject the disks and put the backup game in.

Another method is to use the flip-top cover, which replaces the cover made by Sony with another that allows you to switch the disks through the top, similar to the PS1, which also bypasses a security check by not having to press the eject button at all.

The only method which does not void the warrantee is the slide card/knife trick, which basically manually opens up the drive and closes it in place. It involves removing the small plastic drive cover on your ps2, and then using this card to manually open up the drive once it has loaded the swap magic disks. You place the backup and close the drive bay manually again. This is rather cumbersome at first, but once you are used to it, it is not difficult at all. This also runs the risk of damaging your disk drive motor if done incorrectly.

I personally use the slide card as I have become accustomed to it, and it is the cheapest of the 3.

7. Dougied

Dougied Member

Can you explain to me how to take the front cover off and how do use the slide card properly

8. convolute

convolute Regular member

Unfortunately, no. It's something that I think is best shown and NOT explained through words as it took me a bit to figure it out. Once you have figured it out, it's simple, but before you do, try to be semi-gentle!...

Unfortunately, there was a video demonstrating it, but it was in such poor quality, I had no clue where and what was going on.

As for removing the front cover, that is simple. Again, be gentle... You eject your tray, and turn off the power from the back. Flip your system upside down and you'll see a screw that needs to be removed. Then you need to gentlely pop off the cover and that's it. (These instructions come with the slide-card, as does the aforementioned swap... The removal of the front cover is easily explained, the slide is not so.)