1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Cards with Swap Magic

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Franko23, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

I've been looking into the swap magic discs and either the slide card or flip top.
    the flip top is simple to understand how it works, but how does the slide card work, is it easy?

2. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

sorry, i just realized i posted this in the wrong part of the PS2 forum
    but since it's here, if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated

my bad

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

4. hursty

hursty Active member

it can be fiddly.
    basically where the tray comes out,you have to remove the front panel of the disc holder,this will enable you to use the slide card.
    the trick in using slide cards is to fool the ps2 in order for it not to realise the tray is open,because as soon as you hit the eject button,its game over...
    this is where the slide card comes into play..
    you insert the little gadget you get with the swapmagic/slide card,into the ps2(where the front panel has been removed)slide it along,and use it to pull open the disc tray.
    you place the swapmagic cd/dvd in,then push the tray back in.at no point do you press eject or reset.
    once the swapmagic disc has booted up,you have to go through the same procedure again to load up your copied game...all the time keeping away from the eject/reset button.
    i have not got one myself,but have used one,its quite easy when you get the hang of it,
    with regards hursty

5. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

i went there and checked out the site, but it doesn't tell you how the slide card works...what does it do?

6. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

oops, didnt notice the other post

7. hursty

hursty Active member

this is a good uk based site
    www.techwizad.com

8. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Go with the fliptop, it's painless and takes about 15 minutes to replace. The slide card can damage your PS2 after time by burning out the motor in the DVD drive. With fliptop you never have to eject the drive. Plus it is easier than fooling with that damn gadget (which by the way you can find blueprints for it on the internet and make it out of an old credit card). But if you are paying 20 bucks for the Swap Magic, you might as well pay another twenty for the fliptop and save yourself all the hassle.

9. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

what are the odds of really screwing up my playstation if i installed the flip top. is it easy to do?
    basically, what i'm saying is, me, being a pretty smart kid, should i have much of a problem getting it done?

10. Quake-69

Quake-69 Member

11. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

I woudl think that the chances are pretty slim. I ordered mine and when I got it, it never even came with instructions! So I had to find those on the internet. There's really only two trick parts. One is if you are changing out the bottom (like if you wanted a completely new color for your PS2 - I made mine white) as well, then there are two wires connectinf to the fan, that look, well pretty easy to undo, so be careful with that. But like I said that's only if you want change the bottom part of the case as well. As far as just the fliptop, really the only thing you have to be careful of is not crimping the ribbon for the power and eject buttons while placing the new top on. Which can be handled pretty easily with using a small piece of tape to keep it out of the way. Other than that, not too much to worry about. JUST DON'T TOUCH YOU LENS!

12. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

thanks a lot for the tips