1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim Line power supply

Discussion in 'PS2' started by themick07, Mar 17, 2007.

1. themick07

themick07 Member

Hello,

The power supply for my ps2 no longer works, I know that I can go out and buy a new one, but I have an ac power converter. It will convert to either 7.5v or 9v dc. The ps2 requires 8.5v. I dont know too much about electricty, but what would happen if I added to little or too much power to the ps2. thanks for the help.

2. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

most likely damage to the ps2.

Voltage (V) is the PUSH behind the electrons that flow making electricity.

imagine pouring a glass of water through a thin plastic tube, the water will flow thru and come out the other end.

now imagine if u hooked that THIN plastic tube to a fire hydrant? water would stil come out the end (for a milli-second) then blow the f**k out the the thin plastic tube.

moral of the story is, try it if u want, but i dont kno the rating of the capacitors nor the resistors (2 things that blow easily) inside the ps2 so they will probably blow is too much voltage is applied.

also if the voltage is upped, the amperage may be also in which case u'd melt parts as the heat would b too much.

i only kno very little about electronics (fom a course i did 7 yrs ago) so i have forgotten quite a bit, so anybody feel free to correct me.

3. themick07

themick07 Member

Thanks for the help, but does anyone else know any more information. I figured it would overheat if i applied to much voltage but what would happen if I applied to little. Thanks again for all the help.