1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim ps2 - big questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Eraser24, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Eraser24

Eraser24 Member

I've done a lot of searching around, and have a lot of info that I wouldn't really call 'solid'. I'm hoping that I can narrow down some of this to the facts, as well as get some questions answered that I haven't found info on yet.

I'm wanting to play imports and a couple backups on my slim, SCPH-70012 PS2. I want to use a swap disk and the clip setup (not too keen on installing a whole, new flip top).
    First, what's the best swap disk? Is Swap Magic all there is?

Is the Swap Disk compatible with psone backups?

What's this about DVD and CD loaders?? I take it you have to use different boot disks for the blue discs?

What should I outright avoid? (hardware and software-wise)

What's the most trusted website to order the recommended items from? And what all should I order to get the most compatibility?

Thank you for answering my questions! It's been a little difficult trying to dig through all the hearsay, and am wanting some straight-up answers. Cheers!

2. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

i suggest swap magic 3.6 over swap magic coder because its more compatible.theres been some people who've said they broke their ps2 installing the C Tool.the flip top is way easy to install i don't see a problem in that.swap magic doesn't boot ps1 backups.breaker pro does that but the beauty of swap magic is that if you download breaker pro and put it on a cd you can boot it thru swap magic and load psone games BUT I DONT KNOW THAT FOR SURE.im guessing that would work.so you can buy breaker pro in addition to that.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Is the Swap Disk compatible with psone backups?
    Already answered above

What's this about DVD and CD loaders?? I take it you have to use different boot disks for the blue discs?
    there are two discs, one for DVD based games and one for CD based games for Ps2

What should I outright avoid? (hardware and software-wise)
    cheap DVD's, other than that it is pretty wide open

What's the most trusted website to order the recommended items from? And what all should I order to get the most compatibility?
    Swap Magic and Magic Keys. http://www.teammodders.com/store/
    I am a moderator there and that is a trusted site.

Personally, if you had the money that is, i would do this.
    Get a DMS4 Pro SE modchip installed (crystal Chip V2.0 if you are an online gamer)
    Have the V12 put into an HD Combo case with a 250-300GB hard drive
    then you are set to do about anything that a PS2 can do.

4. Eraser24

Eraser24 Member

Ooo, I like the HD combo. A hard drive makes the xbox so useful, would definitely be nice with the ps2 as well.
    Too bad PSone backups are a tricky situation. I keep the more protected games in a box after ripping them to play on my comp. It's just not the same, though.
    As of now I've got the swap magic and keys ordered- they should actually be arriving today or tomorrow. Now all that's left is to find out what format my ps2 likes the most, +R or -R. My money is on the -R, but I'm low on both so I have to go buy some more anyway.
    Thanks for answering my questions! I'll definitely be looking into the Chip/HD combo when I get my tax returns.

5. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Disc available at Best Buy and Walmart of decent quality are:

Sony, Fujifilm, Viberim, and Maxell. Don't buy anything else. Online order you can go with the more expensive Taiyo Yuden brand. Becareful of fake ones.

Anyway.. Your version 12 are not very good with playing backup. You have to apply the Laser Diode Fix or you will burn out your laser and eventually your (focus control) bios chip. Once that's happened, it is very bad. Don't use Swap Magic without that fix into your ps2.

Go to a good Modder. Buy Pre-modded pstwo and you get a warranty from them. Google is your best Buddy. Lots of people here are affiliated to someone trying to sell you stuffs.

Good luck!

6. Eraser24

Eraser24 Member

Gah! Laser diode fix??
    There's always something that requires farting around with the hardware... I have to read up more on this. The fix chips I'm seeing so far don't really clue me in on why I need it. I take it there's some sort of laser input power problem. So this is like the wonderful(ly awful) pot tweak.
    I'm sure it's something that I can live without for a couple weeks. I think I'll need to get my friend who can solder things to help me with this.

7. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Some one refers to it as "summ0ne fix"

Check this one out! I have a chip that when I bought it, it came a long with that so you can use it for version 12.

Check it out

8. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, you can see in my sig that i have the summone laser fix in mine as well. I was only told that it was needed when you install mod chips on a V12 system. But it is only about $5 so i would get one installed if you go for the chip. some places include them with a chip install in any V12 system, i know mine was.
    when you get ready just contact the people at Teammodders.com (if your in the US) and they can tell you if it is included. The HD Combo case is $50 extra when you get that with the install.
    But that is good because that is about what it would cost you just to buy it.