1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim PS2 Internal HDD mod

Discussion in 'PS2' started by 21Q, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Recently my v12 slim's laser died. Surprised it lasted this long. I decided I'm going to hack it and put an internal hdd so I can play all these ps2 games I still have. I wanted to post progress and such here, so I'll be updating this time to time as my parts come in the mail.

The method is to make the PS2 slim look completely stock. The Disk tray won't be able to open any longer, but will look functional at least. I'm going to use a sata-usb adapter that has a usb cable end to it. Then solder the usb wires to the onboard usb1.1 thats on the ps2. In theory I should be able to use a male-male usb cable on the ps2 usb port when it's powered off if I want to connect to the hard drive.

So far I've cut out part of the top metal casing to if the sata-usb adapter that I will be using. The previous space for the laser fits the 2.5'' hdd perfectly. I'll have to drill in holes to hold down the hdd though.
    I'll have to cut out inside the disk tray, as the dip where the disk would go is too low to allow for the hdd. After cutting it should fit snugly.

The hack will be with fmcb via a ps2 memory card, since it can no longer read disk for obvious reasons.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/21q2/Ps2 Slim internal HDD/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Finally finished it and it works great! The ps2 looks stock. Unfortunately I couldn't solder the usb wires onto the ps2 itself. When I would connect it to the computer I wouldn't get data. I thought a 2pole toggle switch would fix it but still nope. So instead of going for a 4pole toggle switch I just made a really small usb cable to connect the hdd from the usb port that I added to ps2 usb port. It's like that spot was originally meant for a usb port since it fit in there perfectly.

In any case it's all done and I'm very pleased with the end result. Playing backed up games from the hdd right now.

3. John Elbert Mamonong

John Elbert Mamonong Newbie

Can you give a detailed tutorial of this?