1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slim PS2 shortage = Sony recall?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Geno64, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Geno64

Geno64 Member

I have been looking for a (fat) PS2 for my friend but no place ever has a (slim or fat) PS2. I know about all the slim problems and such, and I have told people not to get a slim PS2 because two of my friends had systems like those and both lasers blew out (neither had any chips, SM discs, etc.), although that task itself is tough since Sony stopped making the fat ones long ago.

Well a close friend that works in the higher ups at Blockbuster told me that the shipment of new PS2 they were suppose to be getting will not come in because Sony is recalling those units back. They also do not know when they will get any PS2 units in the future because Sony is receiving numerous complaints that their new slim lines are defective and unstable. Obviously, they are since Sony issued a recall, at least not publicly, yet.

So just to be safe, don't chip or clip that slim PS2 just yet. . .

2. Mormegil3

Mormegil3 Guest

I had a feeling that was the real cause of this "shortage". They said it was a shortage but I guess the real reason was because the slimline Ps2's were defective. I've had my slimline PS2 since Christmas and I don't have any problems yet. I've been running Dvds on it and playing various games. So far, the laser hasn't burnt out. Mine seems fine since I have the new 70012 version. I thought they fixed the problem? Man, I'm gonna be pissed off if the laser craps out.

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

all they needed to do was go into some of the overclocking forums and read arround. They would have found out really fast what happens to a computer that is exposed to high amounts of heat. Taking the cooling fan off and jamming all the components into a box that is 30 whatever percent smaller never sounded like a good idea on the best of days.

Maybe they are fitting the new ones with water cooling? That way they can keep their size and still run it at safe levels.

As a cool experiment somebody with a slim ps2 should grab one of those interior/exterior temp displays for cars and stick the probe inside the ps2. See what kind of heat it really gets to after 4 or 5 hours of gaming.

4. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Yes, I know what you mean. I played my friend's slimline at his house and after like 15 minutes of play, I touched the unit. . . I felt like I could cook breakfast on that sucker. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks later, it blew. I think that Sony made these slim lines just a little too small. . .

Also both ps2 were 70012, (the 12 meaning v12). Those are unstable.

I know this perhaps is not true for all slimlines, but I would rather wait for the v13 to come out. That's why my friends now want at least a v7 or v9. Of course, I have no choice since I can't get any versions.

5. Mormegil3

Mormegil3 Guest

Thanks for the info Geno. Gees, I hope it doesn't happen to mine but since you said it's the 70012...it probably will.

6. pretense

pretense Regular member

I think date code may possibly be a more accurate indicator than the SCPH. Supposedly, the original PStwos were the yellow-boxed, Date Code 4C's, which were then followed by the white-boxed, Date Code 4D's. The very latest shipment of PStwos is SCPH-70012a CB/97003 Date Code 5A. Now whether this particular model contains any of the rumored "laser unit improvements" by Sony is questionable, especially since the 5A has barely trickled into stores, I believe, which means no one has been able to test them much yet.

For the record, though, I haven't had any problems with my 5A yet (the left side of the console only gets pleasantly warm rather than hot after hours of play), but it's still largely untested by the passage of time. I haven't had the chance to try backups, either.

7. scorcci

scorcci Member

Is a good ideia to have a Fan straight on the PStwo, just to keep it cool, I ve seen many many people complaining about the heat and laser issues and for sure Sony have to do something, they can not just watch all of this happen with their valueble customers.
    Last week they reached the mark of 80 milion PS2/PStwo sold around the world, if each one coast about U$150 they earn U$12,000,000,000 (twelve trilion dollars), and I am counting the games and extras.
    See... they have to hear us!!!

8. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

It looks like the slim ps2 has a fan inside it, there are just no holes to vent it. Check out this pic

[​IMG]

I wonder why the people making the clear cases dont cut out holse for the fan and put some sort of screen on there. Even if they didnt put a screen and just had hole it may improve airflow a lot.

The biggest heat creator that is in the old PS2's is gone though. The power supply has been removed and now it uses a power adapter so its already 12V or whatever going into the PS2. So its just the EE and other processors that re getting hot.

9. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Yeah, well now there are a few "fixed" slimlines trickling in. Supposedly, Sony has done something to them and hopefully, they won't have anymore problems. Of course, I found a fairly new sturdy v9 (50000 series) PS2 for sale and nabbed it up. Apparently, whoever had this traded it in for the slim-line, so now, I have no need for a slim-line possiblility. However, I would like to still see if Sony fixed these units in the upcoming weeks.

10. limits

limits Member

just to inform some of you who dont want the slim ps2 (which included me) ebgames has been getting the old models in rapidly around here in the last few days (refurbished of course) but i wouldnt recommend anything over V9 as i have posted a reason why listed as (V11 playstations 2's) but this V7 Refurb i just purchased has been working like a charm, as for the slim-lines i have heard various things about overheating, not playing dvd-r's that well (maybe better media works.. i tried memorex @2x speed and gta:sa didnt work very well), and not being very durable.. plus i dont like the new look, not being hd capatible, and the fact that they need a separate multi-tap.. im definately stickin with my V7 :) GL ALL

11. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Yeah, I agree. . . probably v5 - v9 would be the safe range. Lower version's lasers can go out at anytime (if they haven't already) and have trouble reading +R media and perhaps dual layered media.

For me, either v7 or v9 are the ones to gun for.

12. Mormegil3

Mormegil3 Guest

I was talking to a person at the electronics section at sears. She said she called Sony one day to ask them about this little problem. They denied and everything and said there is no such problem. lol

13. sl1ck

sl1ck Member

Hi guys. I just bought a new slim PS2, on the label it says SCPH-70004, does this have the laser problem?

14. limits

limits Member

slick do u live in us/canada? cuz i've never seen a NTSC format ps"two" with that model #

15. limits

limits Member

oh and more than likely the laser on that one probably sucks as well as other pstwo's, i'd stick with ebgames or gamestop and purchase the original model and also go with V7-V9 models (SCPH 39001 - cant remember.. heh) dont get a 5000x+

16. sl1ck

sl1ck Member

Oh, no. Its a PAL version, I live in Hungary and actually purchased it in Austria :)
    Does it make much of a difference?
    Or maybe I shouldn't even post here?

17. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

no please sl1ck, post your hearts content, long as it follows the rules.

18. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

The laser problem that people run into is due to the power surges that the PS2 might go through due to modding. Anything that modifies a PS2s original function puts it at risk. This includes Swap Magic, but mostly refers to modchips.

Your model number has nothing to do with it.
    I have a model SCPH-700012 (the 12 at the end refers to the USA version. 11 Refers to general North America usage, including Canada, Mexico, and anywhere that uses American electronics. There's actually a chart listing the different regions. However, the only real difference is the region they're sold in)

There hasn't been a redesign of the PSTwos yet.
    In fact, the RUMOR (mind you, it's just speculation by people who don't really know anything about electronics) goes that the models with a date code less than 4D is more susceptible to laser burnout. The newest date codes are 5A.

However, in an essay written by a person with a decent background in electronic engineering, someone posted not only the problems with the newer PS2s (unmodified), but they also proposed a solution. Basically, it would take a major redesign of the system in order for the laser issue to finally be fixed. (And since I'm guessing most of the users here are under or around the age of 16) This means that Sony wouldn't have fixed it by now.

A major redesign is costly, and time-consuming. If the projected cost of fixing the laser issue is more than the projected cost of fixing the ones that are going to break, and have to be fixed at their expense, then Sony is obviously going to opt to take the lesser damage.

Basically, Sony isn't operating under a bunch of morons. The team who designed the PSTwo probably knew about how close they were cutting it with the laser, and probably figured it'd be okay to let it slide.

Oh, and good luck finding a PSTwo. The stores here in Las Vegas are selling them out on the same day that they receieve them. It's also the same story with XBoxs as well as with the Nintendo DS.

There's no recall, there's just an amazingly high demand for these things. Sony confirmed this a while back, and they're really not doing much to fix it. They're in the black for this ugly tactic of having a supply far less than the demand.

You know, the truth is, most people wouldn't get a PS2 if they thought they couldn't pirate on it. And it's quite a bit of a hassle to do it. I honestly suggest that you guys just buy the games you really want used. Today, I bought Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black, Final Fantasy X, GTA 3, and Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero for less than 25 dollars.

I paid less for original copies, than I would have if I would have rented them, and copied them to DVD+R.

If you really wanna go cheap on the PS2, then don't buy one right now. Eventually you'll be able to get them at a cheap-ass price, and be able to buy all your games for pennies on the dollar of the original price.

If you need to play great games NOW, and don't want to spend money : Buy a dreamcast. They're 20 dollars used, and the software for it is usually like 5 bucks. Also, pretty much every single game that came out on that system is readily available on the donkey networks and such.

Ikaruga is $40 for the Nintendo Gamecube.
    But it's a 17 meg download for the dreamcast.
    (Oh, and nothing is cut out from the DC version)

Rez, Space Channel 5, DOA2 : Limited Edition, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Sonic Adventure, these are just a few of the games that sit in one of the two full spindles of dreamcast games that's sitting on my shelf.

But hey, whatever, I'm betting most of the people on this forum are around 14, and I was just as impulsive as most of you when I was that age.

19. sl1ck

sl1ck Member

Wow! Thanks for the grat explanation :)
    BTW I'm 24:)
    Anyway I've been using it for more than a week and nothing went wrong, also If I touch it after a couple of hours its just handwarm, so I guess It should be fine.

20. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

26 here, I would be surprized if the average age here is less than 20.