1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim PS2 V12 Laser Problems/Fixes

Discussion in 'PS2' started by wade0510, Jun 18, 2007.

1. wade0510

wade0510 Member

I have a V12 and it is modded with the Magic Tools and I use SM 3.6. All the games i have "backed up" have worked fine up until now. Even my originals have extremely slow loading times, and are "skipping". I have done some research and have myself come to the conclusion that the laser is dying.

I use Verbatim DVD-Rs and Memorex DVD+Rs for games, whichever i grab first. I burn all games at 4x, and use DVD Decrypter.

If the laser is dying, will a 'laser fix' such as this one do the trick? Or will i have to replace the laser. If replacing, how easy is it to do it?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Memorex are a real problem. You should not use those as they are low quality and can put stress on your laser.
    Also you could try cleaning or adjust the laser before you replace it.
    The laser fix will not solve the problem. It prevents the problem if installed when using a mod chip but i do not know wht effect it has when using swap discs. BUt as cheap as they are they are a good idea to have in any V12 PS2

3. wade0510

wade0510 Member

I have tried cleaning the laser with a cleaning disc as well as with alcohol. Neither have improved the recent downfall of my PSTwo.

4. wade0510

wade0510 Member

I have also tried the adjustment, or think i did. When i opened my console up, there weren't any little white dials like i keep reading about. only four silver screws that were loose by half a turn. I tightened them, and when i turned on my PS2, the disc would not spin and the laser was clicking. i turned it off and adjusted them back to normal, and it worked. Then i tried a little looser, and again it didn't spin and the laser clicked. I will mention that the whole time i was turning the screws either way, the laser did not budge, and apparently it is supposed to drop all the way down.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

6. wade0510

wade0510 Member

The link psoted is for a 360. Also this morning i plugged up my ps2 and nothing happened, the light didn't come on or anything

7. wade0510

wade0510 Member

Fixed that problem, the silver ribbon cable was loose at both ends.