1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slim-PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by New2PS2, Dec 30, 2004.

1. New2PS2

New2PS2 Member

I was just reading all the FAQ's (courtesy - Ender88) and being a complete newbie to the entire gaming community...I'm still confused and unsure of which version PS2 I have.. so on and so forth. I'm aware of the rage lain on those who ask repeated Q's.. but I'm going to risk it since I honestly dont know if my question has been answered... :) even after reading posts for well over 2hrs. The thing that caught my eye the most was... burning PS2 games... I just bought the new slim-PS2 today and my Q is: Is it possible for me to burn these games on my PC (I have a dual DVD/DVD-RW system on my comp with Nero)...? And if so.. what would the process be? (I dont understand all the 'lingo' Ender88 uses... although I'm sure it's great stuff...) Any insight or straight out help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

you will have to get either a modchip or swap magic to play the backups. get swap magic 3.3 pal.

get an app called dvd decryptor (hosted on this site). use it for ALL your ps2 backups.

open the app and choose file -> iso -> Read and read in the image of ur ps2 original

when done insert a blank dvd-/+r and choose file -> iso -> write

simple

always write games at lowest speed possible or they simply wont work. read in at any speed.

never use media faster than 4X ps2 dont like it much

try to use either + or - R media not RW

if recording on +R media record at 2.4X
    if recording on -R media record at 2X

your ps2 will prefer either + or - you will see the diference with gamnes like gta san andreas

Gaz

3. johnim

johnim Guest

hi
    i have a new pstwo and use swapmagic 3.3 dvdr - x8 and use nero 6.6 straight copy with no problems have done 40+ backups using the tools from techwizad.com

4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

nice one i have a v9 ps2 and im only relaying my experiences with recording games (100+).

the only certainty is that you should always burn at low speeds and with slower media.

The reason is as follows.

when you record at lower speeds there are less errors on the disc. some will say that if a disc plays ok there are no errors on the disc.

sorry but there are hundreds if not thousands. the errors are small, parts of the disc where the grooves are not exacty parrallel, and your laser has to adjust itself whilst it reads.

this does not affect your gameplay, but over time it causes your laser lens to burn out much faster.

lots of people who started playing backups on their ps2 has had to replace their laser due to backups not being perfect. a pressed dvd has ZERO errors and will not affect your laser.

another big issue is reflectivity. a pressed disc will reflect approx 90% of the laser shone on it, whereas a dvdr will only reflect about 40%. reflectivity is key to fast data transfer.

for good data transfer you require well over 70%. this causes the ps2 to pump more power into the laser to make up for the loss of reflectivity.

reflectivity is always an issue and can't be helped but the first problem is easily solved.

SLOW BURN SPEEDS AND HIGH QUALITY MEDIA.

so to say you have good results with 8X is fair enough but come back to me in 8 months when your laser is knackered and need replaced.

5. johnim

johnim Guest

thanx mate for the information as i am new to the ps2 scene i dont have any experiance in them but i was happy that i could write at 8x, i will in future write at a lower speed to conserve my ps2 lazer
    cheers

6. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

nice1!!

glad to help!!