1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline PS2 Online

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mark1987, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mark1987

mark1987 Member

Hi, I have asked this in lots of places but still dont know what to do.

I got a slimline ps2, wanting to play online. My broadband modem does not have an ethernet slot, so I borrowed a talktalk modem that does have ethernet. My ISP is Orange. How can I set up the talktalk modem and access the internet with that modem but with my orange username and password?

Is that possible?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

you should not need a username and password.
    What you need to set up the PS2 is all your network info.
    go to a command prompt (start->accessories) and when you get the black box type ipconfig/all and write down everything it gives you.
    enter all of that into the PS2 exactly the same except fot the IP address, you want that to be different. Like if your IP shows
    192.168.1.100, then for PS2 you can use 192.168.1.105 or something.
    Unless that new talktalk modem has security settings, or a firewall you have blocks it then it should connect. See the official Sony Playstation site for more info.

3. mark1987

mark1987 Member

Hi, im stuck prior to what you said. Forget about the ps2 for the minute.

How can I connect to the internet with this talktalk modem? I plug it all in then what?

4. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

steimy are you talking about hooking the ps2 and the computer to the broadband modem via a broadband router ? (or hub)

................................................Personal computer
    .............................................../
    phone jack-->modem-->router-->
    ...............................................\
    ................................................Playstation2 Slim

thats y u have to have a diff I.P. to the computer

either that or u bridge the connection (in windows network connection) between the 2 lan cards.

i think mark1987 is saying his original modem is usb, hence he borrowed a talk talk ethernet modem.

So i guess he wants to go phonejack-->modem-->Playstation2.

if thats the case cant u just give it any ip address ?

i have never tried playing online etc so i wouldnt know about this, but i have made quite a few lans and networks for home and a few businesses i have worked for. so i have half an idea.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  5. mark1987

mark1987 Member

Yea, the problem so far is im simply wanting to connect to the internet with the ethernet talktalk modem, but using my orange username and password. Once that is sorted I can think about connecting to ps2.

6. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

i have neva been on orange. and have neva set up a ps2 to tot he net. if ps2 needs ip address and gateway info, just copy what u got tween pc and modem and use that.

change ip address if using hub or router. ie. comp 169.128.0.10...ps2 169.128.0.20

i have never heard of having to log-on to broadband, isn't the point is that its not like dial up, its always "there"

7. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

PS@ homepage, network help

have a look here, seems to be alot of info on how to hook up ps2 to net,either straight or via router.

u can have internet connection sharing (ICS)

there r 4 options down the bottom, each a pdf document with instruction on how to hook up ps2 via the diff ways.

looks like u cant hook modem straight to ps2. got to use ICS (bridging connection as i said above) thru a LAN, or thru a router/hub/switch.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007