1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimtool doesen't work with dvd9 games?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by dPure, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dPure

dPure Member

I couldent make xenosaga work on my pstwo with slimtool and swapmagic 3.3. i suppose its a dvd9 game. Shouldent it be working? someone know how to make it work?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

is it original or backup? if its original, put it in the ps2 and close the lid, then turn the ps2 on.

3. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

If all else fails, then make an ISO of the game, extract all the files on both layers with Apache to your hard drive, and use the ripkit from Alucard.cc or from PS2Ownz to convert it to 3 DVDs.

Rather than try to back it up as a DVD9, I used the ripkit and got 3 DVD5s that work perfectly.

Also, it's said that Swap Magic won't read DVD9s (due to some sort of TOC problem) but I can't personally confirm this.

4. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

I think the TOC of a DVD9 disc is to big, which is why it does not load. If you by n-e chance have a dvd9 original, maybe you can refresh the TOC with that and make it work. If not, Remy said that his worked after that procedure. Do that...

5. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, it definitely works (so far as I can tell) it just takes forever. I think I spent close to two hours on my 2.2GHz Athlon PC with a LiteOn SOHW-832S DVD burner extracting the layers, running the ripkit, and re-burning.

If you have any problems, just post back here, and I can walk you step-by-step through it.

If you don't want to deal with that, then it's time to head to your local game store, and pick it up on the cheap from the used bin :p

6. dPure

dPure Member

Remy: Can u give a step by step faq on how i should do, no experienve in these things.

Also, xenosaga is original ntcs, but my console is pal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  7. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Um, sure I'll give a detailed step-by-step procedure.
    For now, I have some programming assignments to get done by tonight, so I'll only be able to give you a small guide on how to, but later I'll give a full explanation :

1.) Make an ISO using DVD Decrypter
    2.) Use Apache 2.0 (by Sonix, from alucard.cc) to rip all of the files on the first layer to a folder named XENO on your C: drive, and then rip all the files from the second layer to that same folder.
    3.) Run the ripkit from alucard.cc, and when it asks you each time in IML2ISO to choose what IML to copy, choose x1 (for DVD1) x2 (for DVD2) and x3(for DVD3)
    4.) When you're done running the kit (it takes forever) you'll have three ISOs named x1, x2, and x3.
    5.) Burn these ISOs using DVD Decrypter to three DVDs.
    6.) Run using swap magic, or your modded PS2.

I'll elaborate later.

8. RyuKazama

RyuKazama Member

I don't get how to burn them onto 3 DVD R's (can you use +RW? Cause I don't have any -R's).

Can you give a detailed guide on this please as I am, like many quite unclear on what to do and REALLY want to play the game.

Mine's a V9 PAL PS2 with SM3.3

Is there no way to get the original NTSC Xenosaga to work with SM3.3 at all?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  9. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

The easiest way is to simply use a ripkit and follow the instructions from there. Ripkits basically do all the work of relinking, rebuilding, and ISO creation.

Alucard.cc has a few ripkits for the game. Alucard.cc also has all the tools you'll need to rebuild games.

If you need to extract the files from the layers, use Apache 2.0 (available from Alucard) have it open up your DVD, dump all the files to a folder in your hard drive, and then, on the disc icon, right click, you should get an option to switch layers. Dump all the files from the second layer onto whatever folder you need to dump it to.

Seriously, the bulk of the instructions are available from the ripkits themselves.

And by the way, +-RWs seem to have problems with games when you burn on them more than once : What I'm saying is that on the second burn and after, some people report the discs not working.

I can't tell you from experience how to rip Xenosaga, as I eventually gave in, and bought a used copy, however, I'll tell you that using a ripkit is the best way to go about it, the actual self-ripping process is quite difficult, even as game ripping goes.

However, if you don't want to both with the trouble, and want to backup your game with minimal problems, then wait for Team Toxic to release their DVD9 ISO patcher that'll allow you to play backups on non-DMS4 systems. (We'll see if that allows Swap Magic users to play DVD9 games as well)

10. dPure

dPure Member

So when will the toxic team realese this patch?

11. RyuKazama

RyuKazama Member

I'm currently extracting the files.

Do I still have to split the files and use dummy files etc or do I go straight to the go.bat and let that do it?

12. RyuKazama

RyuKazama Member

By the way what discs would you reccomend?

I never burn PS2 games, but due to this being a rare case where I can't play the bloomin' original version, I have to.

13. IMM

IMM Member

bump :)

i have just got xenosaga today, and want to burn it to the 3 dvds since i have a pal ps2 and its ntsc game. i want to boot it with swap magic 3.3. ive tried the ripping guide but had no luck, cant you just run the go.bat to make it run or do you have to manually do all the chaging to files. If so where do you get sonix editor from? looked all over for it.

any advice would be appriciated as ive been at this all day :F