1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S Acer Aspire 3000

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ashdec, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ashdec

ashdec Member

I have an acer aspire 3000 and up until today I have not tried to use the drive as a dvd writer. It always writes cd's and reads cd's, it plays dvd's perfectly too - but when i tried to write to dvd it always shows the media to be blue (my computer, properties), 0 bytes used but 0 bytes free??? I have used 3 different types of media, 8x dvd+r, 16x dvd+r and 4x dvd+rw - all brand new, all the same problem.

Is there something i can do, am i doing anything wrong? i suspect the driv (or its driver) is causing me the problem, any idea's are gratefully received.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. ashdec

ashdec Member

thanks for your help, i updated from vr2 to vr3 from codeguys with exactly the same problem, i then updated firmware to vr4 and its still the same!

ive tried -r disks +r & +rw, the + disks appear as cd's when i goto my computer (but still blue - unwritable) the -r disk appears as a dvd rom (blue again - unwritable)

could it be the media manufacturer? can anyone recommend a type of media that i can try, which manufacturer or model number, even though i suspect the dvd writer is faulty? (can this be true if the dvd reader works?)

thanks

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If you want to try other disks, go for Verbatim. If you still have troubles, then get another one. As it's a laptop, you'll need to get an external drive, which you can get a good one for about $60..

5. ashdec

ashdec Member

ok thanks for the advice, i have bought a liteon internal rw for my desktop from ebay, im just a bit miffed that the 833s wont work, i wish i had tried it when i bought the laptop.

how can i tell what media suits the drive? - or +? or should any be compatible?

thanks again for your help

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ah ok; be careful fitting your drive then. :)

And any media should be fine with a LiteOn. Just check the specs of the drive. (Mainly for speed ratings, not media type.)