1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S Media Problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jonbest, Jan 2, 2006.

1. nashp76

nashp76 Member

hi all,
    dont know if I am being really stupid or what, but after reading about all the problems people seem to be having with their dvd drives maybe i am not! I have an Aspire 1640 bought in the uk and i live in grenada to son hope of support from Acer. I am having problems reading copied disks. My drive will read originals both cd and dvd's no problem. I have a slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s . Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Phil

2. Dasbc

Dasbc Member

I have the Acer Aspire with the slimtype sosw-833s drive as well but mine burns at 8x and my dvds work on most every DVD player

3. elyates

elyates Member

Hello !

A news for this problem ?'

i have a problem with my DVDR; can burn -R, but does not read them after; with +r no problems...

Others lectors can read this dvd´s

What happen ?

Is a Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S

Sorry my inglish is so bad.

4. neilho23

neilho23 Member

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me?
    I have an Acer Travelmate 4150LMi,512Mb DDR2, Intel Pentium M 715 1.5GHz CPU, 128Mb NVIDIA GeForce GO 6200 GFX, 60GB HDD. I have a Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S DVD Combo drive. This has worked great until a couple of weeks ago when the CD-ROM part has stopped working and the DVD part still works.

I can't find firmware anywhere, there has been no BIOS update for this laptop since 16/01/06 and i am at my wits end.

Can anyone suggest a compatible drive i can buy or a way of fixing this issue?

PS - My sister had a different Acer from the same shop the day after me and her drive has done the same!

Please help me before i throw this laptop out of the window.

Thanks

5. JackieD

JackieD Member

I know this thread is OLD but can someone offer help? I can't burn DVDs on my Acer Aspire 3500 series. It's the same fickle SOSW-833S. It's not just slow, it doesn't burn at all. Nero fails in the burn process saying there's an 'invalid field in command'. And also 'invalid track info'. When I look in My Computer it says I have a DVDRW drive installed. But when I put in my TDK DVD-R 1-16x DVD disc, the icon changes to CD drive.

The odd thing is that it can read from the same disc if I've burnt the data on my desktop pc but it can't burn on the laptop which is pretty frustrating!

I have read everything is this thread and I am left feeling very confused. I read the thread about DMA mode and PIO mode but my settings are as they should be. My firmware is VSR2.

Can someone please help? IS it the drive, the settings, thr firmware or do I simply change the type of discs I'm using?

Btw, I bought the laptop in 2005 and then stored it (for reasons I won't bore you with). I am only using it now for the first time so I didn't know I had a problem.

6. jaynieto

jaynieto Member

Hi.

I bought an Acer Travelmate 4061WLMI a year ago, here in Panama (Central America).
    It came with the SlimType SOSW-833S; VRS2 firmware.
    The OS is WinXP Pro SP2, it has a Pentium M 725 processor running at 1.6 GHz, a 60GB HDD and 1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM.
    All this time It was burning really slow, as you might already know, but it was better than nothing.
    Since last December the burner started having problems.
    It didn't read any type of cd media, but it did however, read DVD's and burn them too (this was for either plus or minus dvd types).
    That was until yesterday. Now it doesn't read or burn any type of cd/dvd media.
    Acer Tech support as you know, are "unaware" of the problem, and in most cases, the owner has better knowledge about their systems than themselves.
    My warranty has expired since last September (6 months! Is it fair?), so, it can't be returned or changed.
    I hope you can help me with this problem.
    If it has a solution other than an external burner, that is.

Greetings.

Jay

P.S.: It's funny that the serial of the burner has SOS on it... Maybe it was expected for us to seek help... LOL.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. aeqmal

aeqmal Member

Hi!! I need help!!
    My burner can burn everything but unable to read data from dvd that it burns. My desktop is able to read the dvd that my laptop burns...It works well with cd, vcd, dvd video. Please help!!

8. Dasbc

Dasbc Member

it seems that this LIteon drive is not so much a liteon from what ive been told. it may be manufactured by someone for Liteons OEM line. there is a VRS3 software available somewhere on the net but DO NOT trust it. your drive will not porperly function with this firmware. I tried it and it did nothing for me made my drives condition worse. your best bet is to buy an NEC to replace the one you have!

9. monarch78

monarch78 Member

Hey guys I just stopped fighting it and only use +R maximum 8x but I don't think I ever got it to burn 8x could be media brand. I normally use a well known brand just who ever has the cheapest price at the time and they all work well. My advice is stay away from the -R don't know why just know what works!

10. TEW999

TEW999 Member

hi guys have found a brill way to combat this problem, buy a laptop with 2 ide/sata chanels and a decent disk drive. im now using an aspire 9420 with an optiarc drive

11. LJUBE

LJUBE Member

HI GUYS I HAVE THE DVDRW SOSW WITH VRS 2 I HAVE BEEN SATISFIED TILL NOW.BUT THERE WAS A VIRYS ATACK ON MY PC .AFTER I THOUGHT I CLEANED UP MY PC FROM ALL VIRUSES I TURN OFF MY PC.ON THE NEXT REBOOT WINDOWS FOUND NEW HARDWARE IT WAS A DVDRW DRIVE WITH A DIFERENT NAME THAN ... AND WINDOWS AUTOMATICALLY INSTALED THE DRIVE .BUT INSTEAD OF A DVD DRIVE IN THE MY COMPUTER BOX THE DRIVE IS CALLED CD-drive(e)and it is not working .I TRIED WITH FORMATING THE PARTIONS AND ... BUT NOTHING . THE DRIVE IS WORKING FROM TIME TO TIME AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOWS IF THE VIRYS CAN DAMAGE MY DRIVE OR THE FIRMWARE .HAW CAN I REINSTALL THE FIRM WARE OTHERWISE WHEN THE DRIVE IS WORKING IT IS WORKING JUST FINE WITH BURNINGS AT 6X FOR DVD .I HOPE YOU ALL GUYS SOLVE YOUIR PROBLEMS