1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipstream sp2

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mjkiefer, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mjkiefer

mjkiefer Member

I'm trying to slipstream sp2 w/my xp home edition. All the files extract from the folder on my hard drive w/sp2 to another folder in C: (Said folder has a long name w/various letters and numbers). Once all files are extracted, I get a message stating that some or all of the files were not installed. Here is a copy of part of the setupapi log: What does all this mean? What's up w/all these inf files?

#E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.inf" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 1168: Element not found.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\accessor.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\atiixpaa.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\atiixpag.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\atiradn1.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\atixpwdm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\au.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\bda.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\cpu.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\defltwk.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\devxprop.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\drm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\drvindex.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\dwup.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\fp40ext.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\fxsocm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\hiddigi.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\hidserv.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xnt5.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwfp0.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwfp1.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwfp2.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwfp3.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwfp4.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwtv0.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwtv1.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwtv2.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwtv3.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\i81xwtv4.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ie.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ieaccess.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ims.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\input.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\intl.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\keyboard.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ks.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\kscaptur.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ksfilter.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\layout.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mchgr.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mdac.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mdmirmdm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\moviemk.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mpe.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mplayer2.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mshdc.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\msmsgs.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\msnetmtg.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\msoe50.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mstape.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\multimed.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\mymusic.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nabtsfec.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ndisip.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netac300.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netbeac.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netip6.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netmscli.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netoc.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netrass.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netrtsnt.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nettcpip.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nettun.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netupnph.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\netwzc.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ntprint.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nv4_disp.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nvct.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nvdm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nvts.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\oeaccess.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\oobe.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\pchealth.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\pnpscsi.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\qmgr.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\ramdisk.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\s3nb.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\sceregvl.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\scsi.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\secrecs.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\shell.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\shl_img.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\skins.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\slip.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\smartcrd.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\streamip.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\swflash.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\syssetup.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\tape.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\tsoc.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbport.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmaccess.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmdm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmfsdk.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmp.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmpocm.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wordpad.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wstcodec.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
    #E099 Writing of "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wuau.adm" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" can cause problems.
    [2006/03/30 13:56:31 4028.5]
    #-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /x /y /i:sysoc.inf
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_common_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_inetmgr_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_pwmgr_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_www_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_doc_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_ftp_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_doc_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_www_install] when calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
    #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_pwmgr_install] when calculating disk space in

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi mjkiefer,
    There is much info on this here & there on the net. I tried to do it last year (from a guide on Tom's Hardware) but it messed up.
    I will give you a very good guide to this process:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
    Follow directions precisely and it's a no-brainer :^)
    Dunno what you're doing but, you're not doing it right...
    Regards

3. mjkiefer

mjkiefer Member

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

4. mjkiefer

mjkiefer Member

I tried the site you provided. Super easy to follow but unfortunately it still did not work. At the final command (when the integration should take place) I get an error message stating that "c:\xp-sp2\i836\update is a file that is unavailable. It may be on your hard drive or on a CD" Well, duh.......I know it's on my hard drive. I downloaded it there. I unchecked the box to Hide protected OS systems and checked the circle to Show hidden files and folders in the folder options. I am logged on w/administrative rights. Any ideas out there. I'm still getting all the error messages with the inf files.

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

You could always try nlite. http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

It makes the whole thing pretty automatic and it has a lot more options aswell, little things like putting your cd-key in so you don't have to enter it on install and things like driver pre-install.

It has a nice little guide here too. http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Hope it helps and you get sorted.

EDIT: you NEED dotnet framework version 2 also, about 23MB.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Here's how I've always done it. Worked with Home, Pro, and Server 2003.

Rule number 1, is keep the files and folder names simple.

Now, create two folders. Preferrably they exist on different drives, or partitions from each other.

I created, C:\temp1 and D:\temp1. (in the command lines below, exchange what I used as the example, for the real drive letter)

Rename the SP2 file to sp2.exe. Put it in C:\temp1.

Now, go to Start, run and type in:

C:\temp1\sp2.exe /u /x:d:\temp1\sp2

You will see the extraction window popup.

Once that's done, you can delete sp2.exe from the folder C:\temp1.

Now, copy the contents of your XP CD to C:\temp1.

Then, when that's done, go to Start, run and type in:

D:\temp1\sp2\update\update.exe /s:c:\temp1

It should run the update process window. That's it.

Then, after words, you can use NLite to remove unwanted programs and create an ISO to burn to CD.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  7. mjkiefer

mjkiefer Member

@DMW:

Thanks for the nlite sight. It appears as though everything went off w/out a problem. When I go to microsoft update it still tells me I need sp2. Is this b/c I slipstreamed rather than downloaded it as is?

8. DMW

DMW Regular member

Possibly.
    If you right-click on the my computer icon and click properties, does it say you have SP2 there?

If so, let the update do it's thing, it will probably do a very small download, realise it doesnt need to do anythjing and mark it as installed.

Other possibility is it didn't work. But it probably just needs marking as installed.