1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slooooowwww burning

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mafiaman, Oct 25, 2003.

1. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

I've got a Pioneer 105 updated with the latest firmware and it's still slooooowwwww at burning dvds.4x takes about 1/2 hour, 2x a hour, a 1x seeya next week.

btw I'm using Record Max Now and my PC's spec is in my sig.

2. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

wow, my computer is probably not half as good as yours - Duron 600mhz, 312ram, 19gig HD, Pioneer DVR 104...and 1x takes me just under an hour
    Hope you can find a solution:)

3. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Burning a 4.3gig compressed movie to dvd+r takes my 4x around 17 minutes. I use Nero v6. Yer software might have sumthin to do with that, as well as yer burner...altho lotsa folks love the 105's and have no complaints.

4. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

clone dvd isn't much better though. I don't use Nero due to it messing up too many DVDs on my friends PC but i'll give it ago anyway

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

@ mafiaman you got a kick butt system but if you run xp pro that itself will take 256 memory alone! need more ram!

my dvr106d does 4.36 gig in 14 mins!

just a thought? also could be software? how much stuff you got running in background? could take up system resoureces?

try closing all then burn if it works get more ram?

Thx

6. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

i shut all progs down b4 i run me burn software, also i used bero an that worked got a dvd done in 22mins which aint that bad. I'll prob upgrade me RAM by Xmas

7. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

I had the same sort of problem with the same sort of specs (3/4gb ram) and found it was the ide100 bus on my ECS motherboard not feeding the writer fast enough. use nero to to a drive speed test and see if your results match other 105 users.

8. koola

koola Guest

You can never have enough RAM or HD space lol!

9. boogle

boogle Member

How do you test if your ide100 bus on your motherboard is slow?

I am starting to think I have the same problem. I have a brand new 106 pioneer, and try burning at 4x, and the best I can get is 41 mins...

I have v6.0.0.0 of Nero!
    My first suspect is the drive itself... But unforunatly the previous CD burner i had never seamed to go at full speed either (12-16x max), which makes me think it could be the bus.

How can I test this, and how can it be fixed?
    It is still under warrenty so I can get it replaced if I can proove it is faulty!

10. koola

koola Guest

You can download the VIA utilites pack which gives great IDE monitoring tools etc.

PS, make sure that you have your IDE set as ultra DMA (Mode 2). This will make it very fast if your motherboard supports it.

Good Luck :D

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hello

i dont use the VIA 4-1 normal drivers! i use the HYPERION gaming drivers VIA4-in-1 get them here! there tweeked and tuned up via's! for speed!

Go here:

http://download.guru3d.com/via/

you are loking for the latest which is via 4in1 4.49p

also it loads this ultility which goes to start menu (nice) you click it it goes to system tray to use! (nice) to change settings! very easy to use!

NOTE! IT TAKES AWAY DEVICE MANAGER DMA settings TAB but you dont need it now anyway!

heres a pic!

[​IMG]

now the speeds i get is this pic!

[​IMG]

NOTE I USE THE REGEEDIT ON NERO TO SEE THE TRUE SPEED OF BURN! and not estimated!

and i use the latest ASPI layer to!

[​IMG]

and to check this its in NEROTOOL!

[​IMG]

thx

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  12. Horizon1

Horizon1 Member

i found out what a stupid mistake i had which fixed my 40 min burn time on my 4x burner with 4x media. i had used the 40 ribbon cable to hook up my burner instead of the one that it came with which was the 80 ribbon. the 40 ribbon cable i used to hook it up with caused the buffer to go from min to max every couple seconds..making the burner write on and off. with the 80 ribbon, it made the buffer stabilize and burner continuously writing..which went from 40 min to the actual and expected write time of 15 minutes.

13. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

F**k me thats fast

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

in the last email i forgot to mention i turn NOTHING off everything loaded/running in background!

Thx...

16. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

installed them drivers and got 18 mins on Nero which I dont mind thanks

17. boogle

boogle Member

Horizon1, once I read what you said, I knew there was a very good chance I was having the same problem.

I got my 106 pioneer OEM, so it didn't come with a cable, I used the existing one... The same one I was using for the CD-RW, which was also burning slower than it should... DA DA...

So I had a look, and the cable had only 40 little ripples in it, where the other cable that connected the 2 hard drives had 80 ripples.

Looks like we have a winner for me anyway! I never realised there was 2 different cables that could be used for HD and CD-ROMS on the same technology!

Cool, I'll get a 80 pin cable tommorow and see how I go.

Thanks

EDIT: Now is the next day... Bought a new cable(ata100), and woooosh... away it goes at great speeds. I just simulated 4.23gb burn at 13 mins, yesterday it would have simulated at taking ~38mins...

Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  18. badmanj

badmanj Member

I have the LG 4040B and I am not able to burn a DVD-R at 4x, The most I get is 2x, which takes 25-30 minutes. I am using princo dvd-r 4x discs...It's not the computer, ram or operating system, b/c I have tried it on 2 different computers, 2 different os's (win 98 and win xp), i also have enabled ultra dma 2 mode 2, and im using 80 pin cable to connect my hdd and dvdrw...anyone have any ideas or advice?

PROBLEM SOLVED, BOUGHT A BETTER PIONEER DVD BURNER, EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE...BURNING IN 10 MINUTES...NOW THAT IS SWEEEEEEEET

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  19. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

I would sugest firmwear and try other disks

20. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Excellent thread, a lot of good stuff here, and [bold]Rotary[/bold] you don't own a mazda rx-7 or 8 by any chance?? Lol dude those diagrams are fat. Nice work. I get anywhere from 10-14 minutes for an actual burn using record now dx, 4.464GB Image.

Bailey