1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow audio reading

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MrChuff, Dec 9, 2004.

1. MrChuff

MrChuff Member

I'm at a loss with this and this problem is the only reason I signed up here coz you people seem to know what youre talking about!! lol

Both my disc drives will play both audio cds and dvds. the picture is fine on dvds but on both audio or dvd the sound is slow and "bitty". Imagine that you've got your PC doing 20 things at once? Yknow the way the sound slows sometimes? Its kinda like that. I've been told (by some tool at a call centre) to do a system restore which seems a little extreme (not to mention a pain in the ass)so if anyone has ANY idea as to what I can do then PLEASE either reply here or mail me direct and put "slow audio reading" as the subject.

Thanks to anyone who read this!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so its choppy on audio dvd and audio cds? on both drives? what programs are you using to play them? try a different one. Is this a new problem or has it always been like this? Perhaps the ide cable or audio cable connecting the drives the the MB is bad. If it does it on both drives, I would guess its something with windows, soundcard, or motherboard.

3. MrChuff

MrChuff Member

Thanks for replying.

Its on both drives. It only does it on music or video files that are on disc. Any video/audio files I have on my hard drive play fine. If I play dvds on WinDVD or Windows Media Player it does it. It only started doing this a while agao (when extactly I cant remember because I had no idea what to do so left it alone!?!) only seems to be discs that are the problem, anything actually ON my pc is fine... I'm at a loss!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I would first start with the soundcard. Maybe get a cheapo one and try that to see if there's any difference. Is it choppy with only dvds, or regular audio CDs too? When you play files off the hard drive, what type of files? Like mpg and mp3 files, or actual dvd vob files?

5. MrChuff

MrChuff Member

DVDS and audio cds are choppy. Any WAV, MPEG, MP3, AVI, WMA, VOB, IFO (DVD Shrink) etc that are ON MY HARD DRIVE play fine. It's literally anything that goes in the CD trays!! That would kinda say to me (but I'm on here so I clearly know NOTHING!!) that it aint my sound card...... right!??!? lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you're right, if it plays fine off your HD, it doesn't sound like your sound card. Thats very puzzling that it happens on both drives, cause the possibility of both drives going bad are pretty slim. Are they both on the same IDE channel? If you only have one HD, you should be able to swap them around. I would try changing the IDE configuration. For example, if you have just your HD on IDE 0, and both DVD drives on IDE 1, put one of your drives on IDE 0 with the HD. See if there's any difference. Also, how fast can your drives transfer data from the DVD to the HD?

7. MrChuff

MrChuff Member

Had to happen sometime.... Now you're losing me. My PC knowledge is finite and I think we're reaching the end! I do have another HD...

8. Hunter69

Hunter69 Member

Ok, this tells me it is a setting in your cdrom's or there are issues with that IDE channel. Why don't you try this: Download winamp, and play an audio cd through winamp. Than report back that yes it was choppy, no it was not. I will look at the settings on the cdrom.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, like I said, open up your computer, and change the IDE configuration of your drives. Since it would be much easier to explain with diagrams, check out this website I found that explains how the IDE channels work.

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/misc.asp