1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow BitTorrent downloads without a router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by kronik_fx, Jan 30, 2005.

1. kronik_fx

kronik_fx Member

I'm currently using a Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem, not connected to any routers. I'm on a 1.5Mbps cable connection and my bittorrent speeds are slow, around the 30-40kB/s range. Insufficient seeds are out of the question cos some of the torrents have 30-40 seeds. And I've also limited my upload speeds to around 5-10kB/s. I'm not behind any firewalls and I'm not using SP2, only using Norton Antivirus. My BT client is BitComet.

What could the problem be?

I'm sure there aren't any port forwarding work to do here right?

Another question, why is it whenever I start downloading from bittorrent, my http downloads immediately drops to around the 3-5kB/s range and as soon as I stop my BT dls, it speeds up almost immediately! 0.0

Your views and comments are greatly appreciated =) Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  2. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

I might be able to help...........I was having the same problem til I bought a router but I am sure no matter what internet connection you have you have to forward ports 6881 - 7000......I dont know what OS you have so I cant tell you how to do that but I know you can create a new rule for TCP and UDP for each of those ports or 6881 - 7000. These are the ports used by torrents to communicate. I turned off windows firewall and setup the port forwarding through trend micro, and my speeds went from 10Kb/s to up to 300Kb/s. I have several computers now so I use a router and I had to turn on UPnP and setup port forwarding to those ports through it as well as my firewall! Another thing that affects torrent downloads is the upload speed........(dont want uploads hogging bandwidth) set it to around 4 - 10 Kb/s if u can!

3. kronik_fx

kronik_fx Member

Thanks dude. I'm using Windows XP SP1. So how do I do port-forwarding without a router? Most of the port-forwarding threads here involve a router =(

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

http://www.qsl.net/vk2jtp/xpfirewall.htm

This website seems to have a good description of how to forward ports through windows SP1 firewall. But if you have Anti-Virus installed it usually has a built in firewall so whatever you do to windows firewall will have no affect unless you do it to the anti-virus firewall as well! I suggest (if you have anti-virus installed) turn off windows firewall because it just uses resources... I only know how to port forward through trend-micro firewall so you will need to do a google search on port fowarding through whatever anti-virus you have.....Norton......Symnatec......Trend Micro.... Etc.

5. kronik_fx

kronik_fx Member

Is this the right way to do it?

[​IMG]

6. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

U got it man.....by the way are you running any anit-virus software? Usually they have built in firewalls that are a pain in the booty! Lemme know what antivirus you have and i might be able to help with it too! I have used all the torrent programs and I found the best one to be Azureus! It has more features, It is easrier to resume downloads, and more options to mess with. It also has a configuration utility to set up and test ports on ur computer!

7. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

Kronik_fx, how did you post a pic?

8. kronik_fx

kronik_fx Member

Yea, I'm using Norton Antivirus 2005. Hmm I'm currently using BitComet... not too bad actually, except for the download speeds =P But then again, the speed doesn't relate to the BT clients right?

I uploaded the screenshot to my Photobucket account and linked the URL to the image tag. That's all =)

9. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

I think the speed depends on how many peers you are connected too. I know that if you are getting slow speeds it is because you might not be connected to many if any peers... That has something to do with ICS, UPnP and NAT
    Internet connection sharing
    Universal plug n Play
    Network Address Translation
    Do a google on these to learn a little more about them!
    there are websites you can go to, to find out if those ports are open or not....... Try this and if the ports are open then the problem lies somwhere else! Try this. http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl