1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Bittorrent Upload Speeds

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by akechijin, Jul 23, 2007.

1. akechijin

akechijin Member

I am having trouble seeding torrents at anything more than a fraction of my line speed. My ISP is comcast and various speed tests tell me i get ~ 3Mb down/1.5Mb up, however i can only achieve a consistent up speed of about 40kB. This doesn't really affect my ability to download (i can easily get around 250 kB/s down on a healthy torrent), but it takes a long time to seed back to a 1 ratio. I know i am capable of seeding at a much faster rate because when i first start Azureus(ver 2.5.0.4) my up speed climbs up to around 160 kB/s and stays there for a minute, then drops down to 40kB/s and stays there for the duration of the session.

I have no idea why this happens. At first i thought that comcast might be throttling me, but enabling the lazy bit field option, changing ports, and using encryption have no effect.

After a bit of browsing the forums i have been unable to find anyone talking about a similar uploading issue (although i did find about a million whining about slow downloads) and i would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have to help fix the problem.

thanks

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Comcast has been installing Sandvine to block P2P across their system.

I had this problem with them and enabled lazy bitfield and encryption and it worked. However, I have run across several people who this has not worked for.

The usual situation of Comcast blocking is that torrents will seed properly while the file is downloading, but stop after the download is complete and the torrent moves to the seeding section. Is this so for you?

How are you connected? (Router etc)
    What is your OS?
    What version of Java are you using?

Just to make sure, (you neeed to be in Tools/Options/Mode=Advanced)
    Are you getting a green NAT circle?
    are you using a port in the 49152-65534 range?
    Is UPnP disabled? (Tools/Options/Plugins (expand)/UPnP)
    Is autospeed disabled? (Tools/Options/Transfer (expand)/Auto Speed)

Have you run the Java Plugin Speed Test (US) and used Good Settings?

Have you tried another bittorrent client to see if it is Azureus or the system?

BTW your situation is not the worst I have seen. In fact you can still upload at a better rate than I ever could with Comcast(my speedtest upload is 44-Azureus cap is 35). However, I do get download speeds in the 400-550 range on good torrents and my overall download speed is 850 kBs on the speed test.

That is all I can think of right now. Let me know.

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

On the encryption did you set level to RC4?
    Did you allow incoming/outgoing non-encrypted? (best to try & use)
    Is the cryptoport option not chosen? (should not be used)

4. akechijin

akechijin Member

Thanks for the response.

jeffw224:
    I am on a wireless connection through a router - Microsoft MN-500 802.11b, and am running XP Professional with java version 1.6.0.1
    I always get green circles with no nat problem, and am using ports in the 50000 range, with auto-speed disabled. I do have UPNP enabled and will try manual port forwarding to see if that helps with the problem.
    I also use good settings (according to AzBot) and my speed report using the plugin you linked to gives me an average (over several servers) result of about 2500kbps down and 1400kbps up.
    When i used encryption i used RC4 and tried it both with the incoming/outgoing non-encrypted enabled and without(cryptoport was not enabled either time). Neither setting helped.
    I have not tried a different bittorrent client and am downloading utorrent now. I will post back after i get that up and running and see if it or disabling upnp helps.

thanks again

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

For the router setup, if you don't have link already Portforward.com MN-500 Azureus.

Your router is not on the Bad Routers page, but all routers can have trouble with too many open connections. I think the Azbot would have you set those pretty high with that speed, so keep an eye on that.