1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sloburn73, Apr 17, 2005.

1. sloburn73

sloburn73 Guest

i noticed that my computer started to burn movies at a slower rate. i thought it was due to my rom and writer being used too much. so i went out and purchased new ones. it didn't solve the problem. when i investigated further i noticed that the problem is only with my writer. it reads the disc as fast as it always has but when i comes time to write it it writes very slow or not at all. i have gone from 15 minutes to 40 minutes on a copy to copy burn. can anyone help me i'm tired of pulling my hair out. oh yeah, i don't know too much when it comes to computer lingo so take it easy on me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Try the following:

Check your devices are setup for DMA operation and not PIO

Right click on My computer
    Click on Properties
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device manager
    Click on IDE AT/ATA ATAPI controllers
    Click on Primary IDE controller
    Click on Advanced
    ***check for 2 things here***
    1.Transfer mode says DMA if available
    2.Current transfer mode says Ultra DMA - and not PIO.
    Click on the Secondary IDE controller and do the same.

If PIO mode is displayed alter it, if you cannot alter it then uninstall the IDE controller applicable and reboot.
    Windows will reinstall the controller and set it as DMA then.

Let us know how you get on..............................

3. sloburn73

sloburn73 Guest

on primary device 0 is dma for transfer mode and current transfer mode. device 1 is dma for transfer and unapplicable for current transfer mode. on secondary device 0 is same as primary. but device 1 has dma on transfer mode and pio for current. i tried uninstalling and it didn't help.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What is connected to your secondary IDE, you have 2 devices connected to it - master and slave.

If your burner is connected to the secondary as slave, alter it to master and change your other device to salve and see if this makes a difference.
    You will probably have to reinstall the secondary IDE controller as described.

If that doesn't work, just connect your burner to the secondary IDE as master and disconnect the other device, and see if this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW:Always unplug your PC before removing/altering any devices............

5. sloburn73

sloburn73 Guest

still no luck. i think the writer is just a little faster than using both. if i got another hard drive and only used that one for the movies, do you think it would configure the drives in dma like it is supposed to do? could this be a virus that is causing my problem? -still clueless

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Ah, something I forgot to mention, what speed rating and brand is your source disc (the one you are trying to copy from) because if this is a slow rated disc/crap brand then that maybe the issue.

Another possibility is that your reader (dvdrom) may not 'enjoy' your source disc, and may require a firmware update to overcome this.
    Firmware updates are always risky, because they can damage your drive permanently but the firmware updates solve several reading issues.

It maybe worthwhile connecting your dvdrom as Primary slave, and burner to Secondary master

Also what specs have you got:
    CPU
    Ram
    Operating system
    Make/model of your burner
    Burning program used

7. sloburn73

sloburn73 Guest

i am using samsung for my rom and writer. i don't know if that's a good thing or not. the discs i use are 8x hp. for some reason they have rw in a square but they aren't rw. but my writer did drop the time down to twenty minutes. not the speed i once enjoyed but i can live with it. thanks for all your help. oh yeah, know anyone who wants a samsung rom?