1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Burning issue, draws 100% CPU

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ChrisKD, Jul 5, 2007.

1. ChrisKD

ChrisKD Guest

It's an unusual problem that only plagues my Laptop, It didnt used to do this.

I've got a Compaq V5xxx Laptop, 2.0GHZ AMD Turion 64, 1GB DDR Ram, 80GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, Phillips DVD-DL/R+/- Burner (DVDRAM SDVD8821H), Windows XP Media Center Edition. (anywhere from 25% to 50% free hard disc space)

I figured it was spyware or viruses at first, so i scanned the drive (once a week), Defragged and cleaned the drive too

I burned a few games & audio discs with it, some movies too (TYG03's & Maxell CD-R's) Same discs i use when burning with my desktop, same batch too, using the same programs as my desktop too (Dvd Decrypter & Nero).

The desktop (the laptop used to burn around the same rate too) takes about 10-17 (IIRC, i haven't used the desktop for a while) Minutes to burn a full 4 GB (8x) using the same disks. The desktop is only a 1.8GHZ AMD Compaq (Xp Media Center) with 256MB Ram, and a Lite-On DVD-DL/R+/- Burner & a Lite-On DVD-Rom/CD-R/W Burner. (i updated the firmware on the DVD Burner last year IIRC)

Nero & DVD Decrypter both burn fine during the Lead-In, Used Read Buffer & Buffer around 94-99% until it starts burning. then it plumets to 0-10% on Used Rear & 0-4% on Buffer. burns right around 840bps to 1.0X. Draws 100% CPU power, and takes about 50 Minutes to 80 Minutes to burn 2.5GB. Afterward the discs are plagued with errors and Coasters, same with the CD-Rs.

I've scanned and cleaned the drive so many times with diffrent stuff (Norton,AVG,Spybot,Adaware) that i dont think a tick fart would get by, I only burned a few discs before this started (it used to burn great) I don't run dirty discs in it, they're all kept in Cases & Spindles.

Is it possible that i need to update the firmware or the drivers? maybe there's something embedded in the computer that i cant find yet? I'd like to fix the problem, i hate hooking up the USB Hard Drive just to transfer an image over to the Desktop for burning.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Run Nero Info Tool, click 'Configuration' tab and check to see if DMA is turned on for the burner.

3. ChrisKD

ChrisKD Guest

DMA is Off, should i turn it on? and where do i find the on toggle option?

4. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest