1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow burning speeds after copying the grugde

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by steel86, Feb 2, 2005.

1. steel86

steel86 Member

after copying the grugde,now my burning speed is half of what it was 8x is now 4x & 4x is now 2x,anybody else have this problem

2. rmania

rmania Member

hi, 2x is great....I had a similar problem...I use to read and write in 40 mins combined and then it went up to 2 hrs combined...So I then did a system defrag...It helped a little....But then i did a complete system reformatt and it went to 30 mins combined....wow...So basically your removing alot of junk that programs that say they will remove didnt....so much space now...

3. steel86

steel86 Member

hey,thanks for the tip.much appreciated

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Before you do a system reformat, I would look at your IDE controller channels in your device manager. Because of the excessive errors caused by the new encryption, the IDE channels probably reset to PIO mode instead of DMA. Reset both IDE channels to DMA if possible. If they won't stay on DMA, remove them from the manager list and reboot. Windows should then reinstall the IDE channels in DMA mode.

Jerry

5. steel86

steel86 Member

thank you,that worked.ide channels did read dma,so i removed them & rebooted,read speeds are back to normal,thanks again

6. KyGirl23

KyGirl23 Member

I just have one question. I am new to all this and I was just wandering if anyone could tell me how to do a system reformat. I know this may be a stupid question but it takes like 2 hours to do a movie and I was reading the thread and read about the system reformat and was just wandering if anyone could tell me how do it. I appreciate any help ya'll can give me thanks again.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You don't want to reformat except as a last resort. That erases everything on your HD and you have to start from scratch loading all programs. If you have never done it before I suggest trying other fixes. Maybe try what I suggested above to steel86. We would also need a little more information on your system and exactly the type problem you are having to point you in the right direction. You can also run disk cleanup, and then defrag your HD to help it work better.

Jerry

8. KyGirl23

KyGirl23 Member

Ok Jerry one more question and I promise I will try my best to leave ya alone after this. How do you know if your IDE channels from IPO to DMA or whatever I have no idea what your talking about but really wish you could tell me so I could try to speed things up I am going to try the disc clean up and defragment also. Thanks for all of your help.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Ok follow this:

Click start--then settings--control panel--system--then hardware--then IDE ATA/Atapi controllers. Then click either Primary or Secondary channel and then the advanced settings. You will then see the selection for DMA or PIO. Make sure both are set to DMA if available. If they won't stay on DMA, remove both channels from the list and reboot. Windows should reinstall them in DMA mode. Hope it helps.

Jerry

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there are way too many peepl havin probs with the dma issue (i think it only happens in the dread xp). anyway i wonder if the majority of these probs are caused by peepl usin their burner to do the ripping, as it's better to use a dvd-rom drive to rip as burners are built primarily for burning, not the constant stop/start operations tha reading (ripping) uses

Rich

11. KyGirl23

KyGirl23 Member

Well both the primary and secondary channel are set on DMA if available but still the time it takes is virtually impossible to deal with I am no looking at about an 3 and a half or 4 hour process. Someone please help I am to the end of the rope. Would someone tell me how do do a reformat of the system I have all of my software to load back on. I just really need to speed this process up and it didn't used to take this long. I appreciate your help and once again thanks.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Lighting UK mentioned that even if your channels show DMA, they might not be. Have you tried to uninstall your secondary channel from device manager, then reboot and wait till they are found again, setting them back to DMA mode?