1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow down speeds after moving to BT Homehub

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by breaktime, Jun 7, 2007.

1. breaktime

breaktime Member

I have recently changed from using virgin broadband to BT Homehub, since then I have had very slow download speeds, admittedly I am downloading some newish films but I still dont think I am getting the results I should be...

When I was using broadband I was getting download speeds of around 100kb/s, now I'm lucky to get 10kb/s

The speeds I am getting can be found here...

http://www.100uploads.com/download.php?file=8799d96f10a5f28515888b4b624da7f9

Do these look right? should I be getting Higher speeds?

Sorry to sound thick... But Im quite new to azureus and torrents.

I am using TCP and UDP port 61303. Do I need to add this port to my router and firewall(xp), well I have done it anyway, and it dont make any difference.. I have opened up all the ports on the wireless network connection (which i thought was gonna solve it, but it didnt)

Is there any other information I can provide?

Ive just read from the bad isp's section that BT limits BitTorrent bandwidth, would this be why im getting the problem?

Please help cuz its really doin me in!

J

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The limiting of torrents by BT explains your speeds. You could try downloading overnight to see how that works or, I doubt it will help, using Protocol Encryption. You can try port 1720 which is used by other processes but I don't have much hope for it either.

3. breaktime

breaktime Member

Cheers for getting back to me mistycat..

That all makes sense..

After posting last night i was playing around and turned OFF the firewall, and I started getting DL speeds of around 50kb/s, dunno if this was just a coincidence but havent really seen these speeds since being on BT. But after switching it back on this morning with the firewall OFF I am getting DL speeds of <5kb/s again...?!

I will try those things you have suggested tho, and get back to you..

Many thanks again..

J

4. breaktime

breaktime Member

Since changing to port 1720 I have been getting DL speeds of 10-30kb/s which is better.. so thanks..

But I have noticed that the users is now 72, where before it was several thousand? And the Firewall light is red?

Any thoughts? Is there any chance of getting a lil bit higher?! :)

Thanks again.. J

5. breaktime

breaktime Member

forget that last post its changed since restarting, ill reply in a bit when its settled down

6. breaktime

breaktime Member

Hi,

Just thought I would give a quick update.. Just read the other BT threads, bit worried about what I'm hearing really... (Bring back Virgin, all is forgiven!!!)

Sorry havent been back for a while I wanted to monitor the situation as it was very up and down and didnt wanna keep saying "its doing this...., oh now its doing this...!"

Basically I have had an improvement since chaning to port 1720 so thanks to 'Mistycat' for that but its still not ideal..

I am generally getting speeds of around 10-25kb/s, but suddenly after a short amount of time, they will all go to zero! I have to restart Azureus and they start downloading again! This gets very annoying!

I have had speeds of 100kb/s ONCE since changing the port number, and managed 50kb/s today, but its not long before they return to zero. Usually its 10-25kb/s.

I have the XP firewall running, and have added the 1720 UDP & TCP ports to it. I have managed to get the 50kb/s with the firewall running, so would be quite happy with this if it didnt keep going back to zero all the time. I manage to get higher speeds with the firewall OFF but dont want to be left open.

DO you have any idea why it keeps going to zero..?

Also the Firewalled light tends to be RED whilst havng problems, but after restarting and when I am getting higher speeds I get a GREEN NAT OK light instead, without making any changes to the environment which i think is a bit weird.

Can anyone please explain this, and help?

I'm going to try the Port Encryption next, and will get back to you with the result...

its interesting to read that their friend in the other thread on BT HOMEHUB has had no problems?!?

Anyway thanks again, J

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

My guess would be that your ISP is clamping down on your downloading once they see torrents start and not when you're not downloading torrents, they can identify the incoming packets. Encryption may help. Could be the friend lives in another area where BT doesn't block at all or as badly.

8. breaktime

breaktime Member

YEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!

Its working great now!!!

Sorry feel a bit of a noob now! dint reAlise there was a firewall on the homehub!

had the correct port number set in the app sharing bit, but had to add azurues in the firewall page in the homehub web page. doNe this and it is now like lightning!! Even with both firewallls and even peer guardian!

but With Peer gaurdian, should i allow http? cuz it blocked me getting to this page with it enabled??

Thanks for alll the help on here tho, and dunno if this will help any others getting problems with BT!

Biggups!

9. breaktime

breaktime Member

Ah balls!

I thought it was going to well!

I now have a different problem I got 1 blocked and 3 bad IPs! And all downloads are at zero!

[14.06.2007 09:49:26] ***.**.***.** has been banned
    [14.06.2007 13:02:23] ###.##.###.### has sent bad data: occurrences = 1

It says at the bottom:> IPs that have sent bad data - banned if limits exceed.

Any ideas? What should I do ?

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Could be wrong but I read that HTTP should be blocked when downloading. I have bookmarked any blocked pages and they work fine from there, can't hurt to try.

11. breaktime

breaktime Member

cheers mc!