1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Download Bittorrent, download speed 0-18kb/s

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by hanrry, Oct 12, 2004.

1. hanrry

hanrry Member

i'm using bitcomet to download a movie by using adsl speed 318kb/s but the download speed is only 0-18kb/s, normaly i download no more than 3 at the same, how do I speed up my download speed. can anyone help me. i'm using twinstar DSL305EU combo bridge/router.thanks's all in advance.

2. beefman

beefman Guest

hey i have a similar problem!i have a dsl connection speed of 256k, using a motorola SB5100i and a belkin 4port gateway router. i have 2 computers using this, only on is downloading torrents, using torrent storm, occasionally i have had a green light, and very rarely i get inconsistent speeds of 20-25kbps. but most of the time less than 5kpbs!! this is really annoying, ive tried port forwarding but im not exactly sure how to do it, i did have xp sp2 but unistalled it cus it was annoying, and i'm using pc-cillin which has a built in firewall. how can i make download speeds faster!? some please help, either write back on here on email me at S6_1sw_4eva@hotmail.com. help would be much appreciated!!

3. swisstony

swisstony Guest

Screwed it up!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2004
  4. swisstony

swisstony Guest

If you look carefully at the way download speeds are worded, you will notice that your connection speed is 256 [bold]Kb[/bold] meaning Kilo Bits per second. Most download applications read as download speed 25[bold]KB[/bold] meaning kilo Bytes per second. Since there are 8 bits in a byte, 25KB/s equates to 200Kb/s.

If you look at it like this, you would be lucky to get more than 30KB/s, I tend to get a steady 50KB/s with 512Kb ADSL.

Some download clients (such as Azureus) allow you to configure your settings to show download speeds in KiloBits. This will not speed up the download, but it will mean that the figure seen when downloading is in the same standard unit as the DSL rating.

Hope this helps

Swiss

5. beefman

beefman Guest

wel i no my max download speed is around 20-25kbps, but i am usually downloading less than 5. rite now i am downloading the Bourne Supremacy and its downloaded 14% in about 24 hours, it downloading at 2.35kb at mo, this is whats annoying, i just cant seem to speed it up. ive tried port forwarding but im not sure whether its the router, since it was the same speed when i unplugged the router and went straight to the modem. so i think it has to be sumething else. any ideas?

6. swisstony

swisstony Guest

Hi,

Can't say I'm familiar with bitComet, I'm sure you've heard this loads, but have you tried Azureus? or Bit Tornado Experimental? If you post the address of the torrent, I can try it to see what speed I get.

Swiss

7. hanrry

hanrry Member

thank's for all that help, now my top of bitcomet display download speed up to 34kb/s and upload up to 6kb/s but why my file display only 0-18kb/s,even i sum up all task (4) only 19-20kb/s. which one is true. if i only download 1 file the speed also around 13kb/s, how i can fix it to be same speed with top of bitcomet.

8. Kbzon

Kbzon Member

Hi, i have a similar problem.I have a Speedtouch 330 modem, and a connection of 512 kbps... whit most files like movies, ISOS, games, etc,I get 5-18 (like 40 hours dloading 75% of silent hill 2 dvd, from like 200 peers) but when I dload Mp3 I've always get my max (60 Kbps)... even if theres onle one peer... an explanation of why this happens or help whould be really apresiated.. thanks

9. conny119

conny119 Guest

Kbzon, i have the same setup as you and i can't get nothing, im lucky if it'll get up 2kb. i think this might be this crappy modem or ISP mine is tiscali, whats yours?

10. Ollie_Joe

Ollie_Joe Guest

Kbzon, I have a similar problem to you and would really appreciate some help. Please can you let me know if you ever come up with a solution....?

Up until last week i regularly used BitTornado and was acheiving Dl speeds of 50-70Kbps on a 512k connection. I then started getting greedy and downloading large game files 1Gb plus and the speeds have been awful 0-12kbps. I switch alliance to BitComet in the hope that this would recitfy my problem but instead nothing... Dl speeds have remained poor and i am fed-up and considering moving back to Kazaa Lite.

Any help would be much appreciated - I do not connect through a router and use the XP firewall instead of Zone Alarm. My connection speed has also increased to 750k.

11. Kbzon

Kbzon Member

I can´t find a solution yet, but now, with bitcomet 0.56 my dls speed are a little higger, like 30-40 overal(50 if im really lucky), but i have to wait like 30 min./1 hour to get that. U could try that(if u haven´t yet), just be patient.

12. hearliam

hearliam Member

could be ur modem, i had the same problem, my isp tech said i had to open the ports in my modem,as it has a built in firewall, apparently!, so i had to create a NAT global rule entry, sounds difficult but it's not to hard, got to start run, type in ipconfig, and the c prompt window will come up, in there you sill see ur ip address something like 10.1.1.? you have to put that in the new NAT global rule you just made. you should be able to access your modem through Internet Explorer. hope this helps, it worked for me, i now get d/l of around 20/25 kbps, depending on seeders of course. good luck

13. sokyisurz

sokyisurz Member

my bittorent is downloading really slow.... it stays on yellow and doesn't turn green...but i have already open my router(Linksys) port...can someone help me???...

14. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Ok ok now for those here that need help with there routers im not the smartest person in the world but i do recommend tryin different port ranges 49152 -65535 is good or anything over 50500, and trigger these ports just play around in ur router config im sure ya'll will find sumthin that works just go with those figures i gave ya. and for winxp sp2 u may havta patch it too allow more tcp connections i think by default the max amount is 50 i changed this too 150 and the dl's took right off! also configure ur upload speeds try sumthin low at first to get ur dl and then raise the upload speed when seeding this is really easy to in azereus , but make sure to raise upl speeds if have them set really low thats all bt needs right now is a bunch of leechers. well hope this helps out some of u guys here. and a happy new year!

15. sokyisurz

sokyisurz Member

thanx...im going to give it a shot and see what happens...o yea happy New Years!!!!!!!

16. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Also make some changes to the advanced options in azureus if that is the client u are usin. uncheck settings like slowly connect new peers that is if u dont have any dissconnect issues. also as i mentioned before about patchin sp2 u should dl xp-antispy this allow you too make several changes too windows xp home or pro.

17. sokyisurz

sokyisurz Member

i open the port for my router but still it doesn't work...i dont know what else to do....it's still yellow....i had this problem before but then i open my port for the router and it was fine....but now i still have the problem with the router port after its open....is there anything i can do to make it green?

18. FartDude

FartDude Guest

what port did u open just one or the whole range?? try this it worked for me 50550-50559 set that range make sure too trigger it if ur router has that option sometimes it takes a while for the smiley faces too turn green , they may even stay yellow if there isn't enough peers to connect too, and by the way which tracker site are u using this also has a huge impact on ur dl speeds and connection, another reason for yellow smiley faces is a poor share ratio trust me had this happen to myself, also be sure too disable the xp built in fire wall if u are using xp, try this and see if this helps. P.S make sure u have peer guardian installed and updated!

19. talia777

talia777 Guest

Try limiting your upload speed.

If you are using Azureus, go to Tools > options> Transfers and set it there. I'm on DSL 512kpbs, and was getting around 15KB/s. I limited the upload speed to 9KB/s (it's usually uploading at around 11.5KB/s) and now I'm getting speeds of over 40KB/s.

That's because if you're upload is being fully used, then your download speed is choked.

20. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Upload speeds dont have an effect on the connection just the dl speeds. sokyisurz is having issues connecting too peers and seeds but yea it is a good idea too limit uploads but not too much.. unless ya wanna be a leecher.