1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Download Speeds constantly

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Tes, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Tes

Tes Member

Hi, i recently started downloading things by torrents and am using the latest azureus, but my download speed keeps hanging around the 20kb/s and i see people saying they can get speeds of 300kb/s. Anyone got any advice on how to improve my download speeds. I have already tried turning all firewalls off and opened the port 34350 (the one azureus is set to listen to) but nothing happens, Ive looked and checked but cant find a NAT error and the torrents im downloading have approx 200 seeds and 2000 peers but i still cant figure out why my speed is so slow. I am behind a router but i opened the port and enabled UPnP, my router is a belkin F5D7633-4 (wireless g).
    I like in the UK and would be most grateful if someone could help me out, i have some knowledge about these things but this has stumped me.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Try enabling Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and disable UPnP. Also, ensure that the ip address you forwarded to is correct. Check at ip config/all and not one of the sites that shows your address; they may be incorrect. If the router is setting a new ip address, your forwarding will be useless and your ip address will need to be made static. Not hard and should be done anyway. What is your ISP in case anyone knows if they're blocking? And, if you can, connect your router directly and you could test things by removing it from the loop entirely and connect directly to the modem.

3. Tes

Tes Member

Thank you for the reply, and if you mean allowing the router my ip address i have, i used the ip address next to ip address in ipconfig /all and i believe my ip is static, i have never set it to dynamic and on the router it is set a PPPoA and not dynamic. Otherwise im kinda unsure what you mean, I did everything else you said and enabled Protocol Encryption and disabled UPnP. Oh, and my ISP is homecall though i believe they are now part of pipex.
    My speed has gone up to around 30-40 now, but that may be because ive been downloading for a while now. Thankyou again for the reply

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

5. Tes

Tes Member

Thank you again, i set up the static ip address as it said on the webpage and now my speed has gone to 400b/s not kb/s. I dont know what happended but now azureus is saying tracker down and also while searching fo the info for the static ip i came across my router saying UPnP was enabled. Any ideas how to turn it off?

Oh and i assume that if pipex are blocking torrents then i cant do anything about that, other than change ISP

Its gone back up to 20kb/s now and azureus is now saying tracker is ok.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The only things I know of to try are Protocol Encryption and a port like 1720 that other processes use but I doubt these will help if you're blocked. I don't think UPnP enabled in your router matters and I don't know how to disable it there anyway. Maybe in Status or Applications, no idea.

7. Tes

Tes Member

Thank you for all your help, i have been thinking of changing ISP anyway this is just another reason to do it. I asked someone i knew who signed up for pipex and they have the same problem so it is probably that. Once again thank you

8. hursty

hursty Active member

Pipex stink

For anybody else who use p2p,i hope to god you read this before you sign up to them

There unlimited plan is only unlimited if you dont download between the hours of 6-11pm,if you dont use p2p between those times you are fine.

If you do and download too much between those times however,THEY WILL move you on the heavy user server

now this is the amazing part.....

the limit you can download/upload between those times is a amazing 1GB A WEEK.....yes a week!
    you go over,and you have had it,slows speeds etc etc between 6-11pm,even just plain browsing is affected
    the "ban" lasts for a week.
    My BB speed goes from 3mb during the day,to less than 0.5 mb in the evening
    I mean,i know p2p is not sorta legal,but downloading is,and the net is used for downloading all kinds of stuff,movies,music etc,but they dont even want you to do that

SO FOR THOSE THAT USE P2P and or NEWSGROUPS.....DO NOT USE PIPEX

no amount of encryption will stop it,as you will be on a slow server

how do i know all this??....because i just joined them
    they stated there fair usage policy came into effect after you went over a 50 gb limit in any monthly period,then it reseted itself.
    How wrong was that

my situation?.....currently arguing my case as being misold product,and trying to cancel my contract without occuring any charges.
    It dont look good.
    I even wrote to watchdog god dammit

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007