1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Downloads, after forwarding Ports

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by freedmind, Apr 12, 2004.

1. freedmind

freedmind Member

I am not really sure what is going on, however I do know something. I went ahead and followed all the instructions that camdog had in his post about slow bit torrent download speeds, which I am definatley expreiencing, (i.e. 3kb/s, 4kb/s, etc.) and forwarded all my ports, (at least I think I did). Could someone please tell me what is going on? I mean I know movies are supposed to take a longer time to download, but not 3774 hours! haha. I've heard everybody else saying that as soon as they forwarded their ports, they were getting like 250 kb/s. I'll occasionally get that with Kazaa lite, however I'll never get it with Bittorrent. It really stinks. I tried forwarding my ports (on the computer that was connected to the router btw), but it didn't seem to work. I also forwarded my ports from the computer on the router. I don't know what to do!!! Can someone PLEASE help me because it is really starting to bug me.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks alot!

2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

first make sure you are uploading, the more u upload the faster you download. second u might not be able to get those high of speeds, u can only go as fast as your internet is
    what type of router are u using?

3. freedmind

freedmind Member

I have on my computer downstairs (the one that has the wireless router connected to it) a dell truemobile 2300 wireless router. I also didn't know whether or not i needed to forward the ports on my upstairs computer (the one that has the slow download speeds using bit torrent), or the ports on the downstairs computer.
    Also, i have roadrunner, and with kazaa lite, i def. got more than the usual 5 kb/s (sometimes not even that). So i definatley know that it could go higher than what I'm getting.
    Please help me fix this problem! I'm desperate!

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

wait how many routers to u have? 1 or 2....

cuz if u have and it connects into another one, it will be harder to forward the ports because u have to do it on both,
    explain how your internet is all setup

5. freedmind

freedmind Member

Ok here's how it's set up:

A computer downstairs has the cable modem that's hooked up to it to give it internet access. Also the computer has a wireless router so that when we plug in a network card into out laptop my family has, we can go anywhere in the house and still have wireless internet from that router. I just recently built a computer and put it upstairs, and (through the walls i assume) it was wired so that I could have roadrunner also. I just go ahead and plug a CAT-5 into my ethernet port on my computer upstairs and I have internet. Now, i'm not sure whether or not that CAT-5 is connected to the router, my guess is it would have to be. We have only one router, and that is downstairs.
    I tried following the steps for the thread called like "Slow Downloads from bit torrent" to forward my ports, and just kindof guessed at what I should do when I got to the advance settings from my router's page. (So I guess that answers the question of whether or not this computer upstairs is connected to the router. It must be yes, since I can access the page). All I did was try to forward my ports using the IP address given by the command prompt and command ipconfig /all, which should be correct. After I forwarded my ports, my downloads from Bittorrent were still going increadibly slow, like right now as i'm downloading two movies one is at 15 kb/s (but randomly drops to like 1 and 2), and the other one is at like 3 kb/s or 4 (it's been like that for a steady couple of hours). I'm assuming since the download speed isn't jumping up like everyone else said their's did, I did something wrong. I just don't know what?!

Get some more people on this problem please, because I don't know what is going on!

*Get's on his knees* - I'm begging! :)
    O.k...that's basically it.

6. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

which bit torrent client do u have??

try going throught it again, make sure u have the right ports (6881-6889) make sure u have "Protocol
    TCP" checked and this might ound stupid but make sure u pressed enable and apply

7. freedmind

freedmind Member

I downloaded the Bittorrent Client v 3.4.1, and i'll double check...does it have to be 6881-6889? Why so? And iight i'll check to make sure I hit apply.

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

yes! it has to be 6881-6889, and it does because those are the ports it uses. make sure u have the name of program as "BT"......your using the REAL bit torrent client right?