1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow PC startup & poss Malware?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by markio, Apr 27, 2005.

1. markio

markio Member

Good morning all,

First of all i just want to congratulate you all on a fine forum, i'm a newbie to the DVD backingup/burning world and since fitting my DVD writter on saturday i've found searching these forums to be a massive help.

Now enough with the sucking up, i have an issue that i'm in the middle of. I'm using DVD shrink v3.2 to create an ISO image file and Nero to burn that file. The actual compression and burning process work a treat.
    My problem is this (and i'll try to start from the beginning):
    I installed DVD shrink on Sunday, created ISO image and burnt that successfully the same day (Futurama in case your interested), as i was previously downloading torrent files (W/Azureus) i restarted that app and resumed the downloads. I left the PC running for a few days whilst downloading. Now yesterday when i turned the PC back on it took around 4 minuters to boot up, the windows XP screen with the scrolling bar was very slow.
    I used Spybot to check for spyware etc and it found 8 instances on Malware. I cleaned these, rebooted but the problem remained. After a bit of playing i found a restore point that worked (Sunday before instalation of DVD shrink). After the restore PC boot up time was normal (say 1 minute). I reinstalled DVD shrink, rebooted and problem was back. Scan for malware again found 8 instances (i don't remeber if they were the same ones).
    CPU temperatures are running normal, around 50 degress whilst ripping, 40 when idle.
    This monring i returned the PC back to the Sunday restore point, rebooted and everything seem fine (and i presume with DVD shrink no longer installed). That's as far as i've got as i had to get to work.

So i suppose what i'm asking is, has anyone alse had a similar problem? I've searched the site but all of the issues seem to be with Shrink crashing the pC, locking up the app etc. Like i said, mine works a treat but seems to have tripped up the rest of the PC!

My spec is as follows:
    LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer
    Intel 2.5Ghz
    512k Ram
    Win XP SP2
    ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb
    Seagate 80GB
    Seagate 120GB

Anyway, i'm sorry for such a long and boring first post. Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
    Mark.

2. christ93

christ93 Regular member

What malware(crap ware) did you remove? I have been using shrink for about a year over 3 pc's and have had no problems with crapware being installed. Also, where did you download shrink from? I downloaded mine from the link provided here.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I too have been running Shrink for quite some time without any problems. Here's a tip I've found that avoids spyware and adware altogether: Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox. I've been using it for about a month or 2 now, and I must say it's great. There's a thread in the Safety Valve I think on how to tweak it up too.

4. markio

markio Member

@ christ93 - Sorry but i don't remember the names. I downloaded Shrink from a link here too. It's very strange as it seems no one else has had this. It must be a coincedent but that doesn't make sense either as it was too consistent with installations of shrink.

@ squizzle - Thanks for the tip but i already use Firefox (Damn good browser it is too). This is the strange thing, i can't ever remember getting a influx of spyware like that before, until i used Shrink.

Anyway, thank you to both of you for your time, i tried DVD Decrypter in conjunction with Nero Recoder last night with very successfull results. I'm a happy bunny now.

Hopefully, if i have any to give back i will contribute to this forum in the future.

Thanks again.
    Mark.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Markio,

Sorry to hear that you've encountered some issue there. I, myself, is a new user to SHRINK and Decrypter recently, however, I have no problem with them softwares. I usually scan the application or any program that I downloaded from the net with "Norton2005" in prior to install them in my computer. In addition, I use Yahoo "Anti-Spy Tool Bar" to scan my computer for another 2nd round whenever after I downloaded a file from the net just to make sure that the file didn't carried any bug with it. I think the "ware" stuff might comes from your downloading site "W/Azureus" [as you've mentioned earlier], and I doubt it's from SHRINK.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You may want to delete the old download of Shrink, then download it again from here just to make sure it isn't infected in some way. I haven't heard of Shrink having any conflicts with computer systems.

Jerry

7. calhounm

calhounm Guest

what anti spyware are you using there are several for free like microsoft antispyware beta also do tou have any p2p software on your machine those programs are full of malware (well some not all I use azerus) also markio is dead on with firfox wen browser.