1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow ripping and slow burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by manny2, Jun 23, 2004.

1. manny2

manny2 Guest

I am very,very newbie: I am ripping with dvd Shrink and burning with Easy CD ver. 5, media Memorex dvd-R 4x.My PC:cpu: Celeron 1.2 Gb,ram 512 mb,HD 70 gb.When I burn I choose 4x and the actual speed is 1x. The whole thing takes a long time.What can I do to improve ?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

When getting abnormally slow burn times, the first thing I'd suggest checking would be the DMA setting for your burner. DMA/PIO are the transfer modes for your drive and this link should help:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

If your drive is stuck in PIO and the above link doesn't help, you may need to uninstall the drive through Device Manager, reboot, then let Windows detect and install the drive. Hopefully that will kick the drive up to DMA :)

3. manny2

manny2 Guest

Thank you Nephilim. I tried your suggestion and I the dvd writer is now on dna mode, but still I can't burn at 4x, just 1x. if you have any other suggestion, please let me know.
    mammy2

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there manny2, Welcome to our little Club -

You've told us about your media and PC but I don't see anything about your burner -

What are you using ?

Pete

5. manny2

manny2 Guest

Hi Pete: I have a Dual DVD - + RW IDE 1004( I-O Magic)x4 and my cpu is an Athlon 1.2 gb (not Celeron as I stated before) with a ram of 256 mb.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Are you trying to say it's a BTC DRW 1004IM ??

When asked a question it's nice to say Excatly what it is - If I'm guessing wrong try to give me a complete answer - (Mind reading was my minor in college but I failed it)

Anyway, here's a link for the up-to-date firmware for that drive - If this is not your burner DO NOT USE THIS FIRMWARE, IT WILL RUIN YOUR DRIVE IF IT'S NOT CORRECT !

If we're on the same page, flash your drive with this - it should help -

cheers,

Sea Yaaaaaaa,

Pete

7. manny2

manny2 Guest

Thank you Pete: Your instructions worked 100%. I upgraded the firmware and now I get full 4X burning.
    Manny2

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Congrats there manny2, you be da man !!

BUT, you and me, we're not done - Ya see it’s people like you who make this site work too - You've seen how we work and you see we have fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - they'll appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can “Welcome” them into the Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us over there, by the water cooler, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Sea Yaaaaaaaa,

Pete

9. manny2

manny2 Guest

Thank you Pete. I'll be here to help anyone like you did (if I can) By the way Pete, I burned already 3 movies using DVD Shrink and the updated firmware of my dvd buener and I have been able to do it at 2X, so my speed doubled.' I guess 4x is not possible so far. Thank you again Pete and you and the Forum can count on me.

Manny2