1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow second downloads for bit torrent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by gruff101, Oct 10, 2004.

1. gruff101

gruff101 Member

I've been trying to leave two bit torrent files running. When I boot the second file up the download speeds for both torrent files drop. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G and Bit Tornado. I have my ports open on the router and when I have a single file running I can reach file download speeds of up to 80k. Is this related to my NAT allocation? Any ideas of how I can fix this? I have NTL 750K broadband.

Thanks.

2. carpki

carpki Guest

It all depend on the settings you may have on your BT Client, but I think you may be a little bit confused. You say you have a 750k connection, which is 750 kilobytes per second. You then say you are connecting at 80k per second, but that is 80 kilobits per second. You should find that there is 8 bytes in a bit. So if you times 80 by 8 you get 640 kilobytes per second, which is quite close to your maximum speed. There also has to be bandwidth left for the computers to acknowledge each other (not a lot) which I believe doesn't show up on your figures.
    If you are doing 2 downloads at once then the speeds will alter on them both, but should still add up to more or less the same as a 1 download speed. There are various other factors that could alter your speed,( and not neccesarily something you are doing wrong) but I don't have time to write a book..lol...

3. jorgey

jorgey Member

I'm sorry carpki, 8 kilobits is equal to 1 kilobyte.

There are 8 bits in a byte not the other way around.

Your calculations look abour right, you just have your units mixed up.

gruff101 would be using 640 kilobits out of a 750 kilobit connection.

4. carpki

carpki Guest

Lol Jorgey... Thats just typical of me to get things muddled up. Its not the first time and probably won't be the last!

5. gruff101

gruff101 Member

Oops I'm on the 750K package. I ran a few more tests and had a torrent file up at 60KB. As soon as I fired up the second torrent the combined download speed was 30KB. Is there anything that I can do to improve the speed? I also find that on my wirless connection the more I use bittorrent and edonkey the weaker the signal becomes until evenutally I lose my connection. Then upon reboot of the WRT54G a connection is found immediately.