1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow write speeds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adg, Nov 29, 2003.

1. adg

adg Guest

Hi people
    Ok,i have epox mobo, athlon 2600+ processor, 512mg 400ddr ram.
    I have the hdd on a raid socket and sony dru500a on ide 1 as a master, dvd rom on ide 2 as a master.
    It takes almost 30 mins to write a dvd, I read in other places that it should only be about 15 mins.
    The sony firmware is 2.0g.
    I am using the new cables.
    Any reason why write is so slow, when the rest of the system is pretty fast. Having the HDD on the raid socket certainly impoves it's performance generally.

I'm using Nero 5.5.10.54

Ady

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2003
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Firstly the basics:

What speed is your burner rated at? - make and model..
    What speed are your discs rated at?
    Are you burning to a rw or r type dvd?

3. koola

koola Guest

Its your config adg, you have your drives setup in the most horrific way!

To gain the best performance, configure like this:

IDE 1: Put your HDs on this channel in raid etc.
    IDE 2: Always put your optical drives on IDE2 because of their databus limitations.
    Make sure that you have your DVD burner set as Secondary Master amd your DVD Rom as Secondary Slave.

Once you have configured as follows, boot into the bios and set the optical drives into ultra DMA32 mode.
    Now when you get into the OS, download the latest drivers for ASPI and Firmware.

Your DVD burner/rom will now rip like shit on a stick!

Good luck :D

4. adg

adg Guest

Thanks Koola
    I have done what you said, I'll try it tomorrow, just to be sure you understand my original config...the HDD is on raid 1...the standard channel 0 was the burner as a master and channel 1 was the dvd rom... I effectively have 4 ide sockets on the mobo 2 of which are the raid. I thought that if all 3 devices were on seperate channels then they should fly... with the config you suggest I lose the ability for on the fly copying.
    Also my bios dont say anything about ultra dma but according to device manager the burner is on ultra dma mode 2 (whatever that is). The ripping was always fine, it was just the writing that was slow. Latest firmware installed for the burner.
    If you have the time could you explain why they should be better with the burner as a slave or why the 3 on different channels don't run as I thought they might.

Many thanks
    Ady

5. koola

koola Guest

You don't loss the ability to copy on-the-fly because the info will be going from your DVD Rom (Secondary Slave) to your DVD Burner (Secondary Master). With this config, there will be no bottleneck between your DVD drives.

With your drive set as DMA mode 2 is fine. It must be just my mobo that lets me set at Ultra DMA.

2x burning takes 30 mins, so you must be burning at 2x and not 4x. 4x takes 15 mins.
    Make sure that your DVD burner can write at 4x and that you are using 4x compatable media.

Good luck

6. adg

adg Guest

Thanks again koola
    The burner is a dru500a, with latest upgrade. it says it is writing at 4x and the media ..ritek brands x4 media, so I guess it should write at x4...it did on my old mobo but not managed yet on this board. I have'nt tried it yet with your config, but I did look in nero and it does say that the on fly copy is available.
    Ady

7. Garraty24

Garraty24 Member

Hello I have been having the same problems as you with slow burning it takes me almost an hour to burn at 4x so I know somethings wrong. I was going to try the IDE thing posted here but I really dont understand how to do it. Im kinda a computer noob on that sort of thing. I found the IDE in my device manager but thats about as far as I got. Is there any place that has a step by step way to show how to do what was presnted here?

8. adg

adg Guest

Hi Garrety
    It's basically looking at how the drives are connected to the mobo. From this see if the hard drive is on it's own cable.
    Your other drives nedd to be on the second cable with the burner as a slave. I'm now set up like this, but I have not managed to try it yet.
    Once you are set up look at the hardware config in device manager to see what the IDE channels are set at. Make sure the burner is at ultra dma.
    Ady

9. malum

malum Regular member

"You don't loss the ability to copy on-the-fly because the info will be going from your DVD Rom (Secondary Slave) to your DVD Burner (Secondary Master). With this config, there will be no bottleneck between your DVD drives. "

Having both optical drives on one IDE cable and both Hard drives on the other is not an optimal setup for most people.

An IDE channel can only read or write data at any given time, it cannot do both at once.
    If you are in the habit of copying information from one hard drive to the other (for back up purposes for instance)it will slow it down a lot.
    It also makes copying on the fly hard work for th computer as it will constantly be fighting buffer underruns

10. adg

adg Guest

Hi
    Back to my original post.
    Reconfigured as advise....no change.
    Any other ideas
    Thanks
    Ady

11. hectar

hectar Guest

I fail to grasp the "rip like shit on a stick" metaphor. Just as well really, come to think of it. Please don't feel the need to explain.

Ol Hectar

PS. OK, just one question is the ability of the stick to rip dependent on the temperature of the shit; or indeed are other variables involved....smellification factor, consistency,
    manner in which shit on a stick is wielded etc...oops that was three/four questions.

12. koola

koola Guest

hectar, I think you have O/D on your medication.

malum, this is the optimal setup and it work fine on my rig. I have never had a coaster and don't get buffer under runs alot (touch wood!).

13. malum

malum Regular member

It may be the optimal setup for you but it won't be for most people.
    If you have buffer under run protection on your writers then you won't get coasters but it is not ideal for copying on the fly, and as I mentioned, not good for transferring data between hard drives.

If you don't do either of these things then it's fine. If you do then it is not the optimal setup.

If you work with video recompression then it is not the optimal setup either.

14. koola

koola Guest

Well I do video/DVD editing as a hobbie and my Professor at uni told me that this is the best setup.

Do you think he is wrong, as I don't.

I have been using this setup for ages now and I am nearly getting the highest data transfer that IDE can do. Not as fast a SCSI, but fast and reliable :D

15. malum

malum Regular member

Whatever works for you dude

Your professor is wrong