1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowing my network?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Jeebiss, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

Why do Azureus, and uTorrent slow down my entire network when I run them? Can I fix this?

2. EdtheDuck

EdtheDuck Member

Howdy.

In order to properly help you, we need more information.

Azureus and uTorrent should NOT slow your entire network if configured properly.

I would really recommend you read the guides written by DVDBack23 (see here) and rav009 (see here) to help you configure your bittorrent client effectively and help you attain a degree of privacy.

Off the top of my head a couple of things which YOU may have done could lead to a slow down of your network, but you should reply with more info and maybe others can help.

a) Are you trying to download many torrents simultaneously (i.e. more than e.g. 5). Doing so is not adviseable as this can lead to increased process usage on on your computer.

b) Are you trying to use ALL of your UPLOAD speed whilst trying to also max your download speed? Generally, if your trying to download and upload at the same time, your UPLOAD speed should be restricted so as not to choke your bandwidth.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  3. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

I have read and followed both guides. This problem is happening on multiple computers with different networks and different ISP if that helps. IT seems that the internet runs around 75% slower. Something is eating my bandwidth.. I usually have 1-2 torrents downloading at a time.

4. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

I really have tryed near everything. Right now I have everything port forwarded correctly and all the speed settings are right. I am officially out of ideas.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. EdtheDuck

EdtheDuck Member

Ok.

Its good that you only download a couple of torrents at a time as this reduces the strain on your connection. But, are you trying to UPLOAD at full speed whilst also downloading at full speed. If you are, this is likely why your net is slowing down.

For example, I use utorrent. My max download speed is 2Megs a second and my max upload is 25kB/s. If I try and upload at 25kB/s, I know (through experience) that I cannot DOWNLOAD at my full speed. My connection just won't do both max speeds at the same time and trying to surf the net becomes a nightmare.

So, what I do when I want to max my DOWNLOAD speed is to limit my UPLOAD speed in utorrent to 8kB/s. This way, my connection happily downloads at full speed. Once my downloads are complete, I set my UPLOAD speed to 23kB/s (just because I don't want my connection to give up) and away she goes.

So by my example, whilst downloading you should limit your upload speed to about a third of its full potential. That way you should be able to download and surf the net at a good speed. Once your downloads are complete, set your UPLOAD speed to near its full speed and let her rip.

Also, you say that
    . I'm having a hard time understanding your setup. I'm not the best with networks, although I have a wireless network with two computers running on it and it works fine using the method I described above. If you can elaborate I maybe able to help, but as I said, I'm not the best with networks.