1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sluggish PC

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Zhi.Zed, May 20, 2015.

1. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

Hello, good people!

My PC is having some performance issues: when I turn it on in the morning, it's ridiculously slow for about an hour or so, Flash player crashing, takes forever to minimize/maximize windows, etc. Afterwards it's fine, it's just upon startup.
    I thought of malware, but scanning with both Malwarebytes and ADW cleaner comes up with nothing... Is there something else I could try or is my PC just not a "morning person" (like me) ?
    If you need any logs, let me know, I'll be happy to provide them. Also, feel free to move this topic if I have placed it in the wrong section.

Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into your msconfig\startup to see what you have running & what is your system specs as want to see ram amount? what anti-virus program are you running?

3. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So, specs:
    AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-core
    2.7 GHz
    RAM 2.00 GB
    Win 7 Professional SP1

I'm running Avast, specifically v. 2015.10.2.2218

I've attached a screenshot of msconfig.

Attached Files:

4. ddp

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

Samsung should be the printer, and gomtray is GOM player's remote support - it's recently installed and I don't use it much, but troubles started beforehand.
    I'll run task manager in the morning and get back to you, just restarting doesn't cause any problem.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Use "services.msc" to set programs to manual start ,copy paste (without quotes) into run or use command prompt
    .An example of a program that doesn't require auto start is adobe,better still replace it with nitro pdf or sumatra pdf

you can use msconfig to start windows in selective or diagnostic startup if required

7. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

Ok, I can try that too.
    Meanwhile, here's what task manager says...

Attached Files:

8. ddp

how far in on the boot process was that taken as something or somethings is using most of your ram?

9. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

It was just after startup, nothing else was running (at least nothing I'm aware of) except Avast and Malwarebytes.
    I also disabled the processes from the previous post later.

10. ddp

was the picture above for taskmanager taken before or after you disabled those processes? if taken before then take another 1 to see the ram amount used.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

hit the show running processes from all users in bottom left corner of task manager

12. Rondon1

Rondon1 Newbie

Hi mate I had the same problem I had windows 7 home premium had ccleaner / kaspersky premuim / defrag etc checked registry the lot all problems that I had where solved ! But still slow all the time now and again if I didn't have anything running in the back ground etc it went quite nippy . Anyways I didn't want to leave my laptop open to viruses so had to turn back on sluggish again !! So I called a pc engineer who teaches at a local college he came recommended new ram. ( memory) I was also 2 gb which was in one slot so I had a spare so I bought a 4gb memory put it in slot 2 now I don't have this problem it's a very fast pc .. Don't know why they use 2gb in standard windows 7 machines !! It's bare min to run win 7 so I was told . Just a thought mate I had to make sure my ram I bought runt at the same speed at the new one I bough but if ur replacing the lot then it don't matter as long as it's the same type of memory . I.e ddr3 etc etc . Ps my os was windows 7 64 x . If u have 32 bit ur pic or laptop may not use ur memory to its full extent . So I have been told of the professor . Hope it helps a bit dude

13. aldan

aldan Active member

14. ddp

I just finished loading win7 32bit on an intel celeron dualcore 1.6ghz that had 1gig of ram & xp. I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs as it also has a 512meg pcie videocard. the only time it was slow was doing the windows updates but I've had that problem even on faster computers. that is why I think something else is causing the slowdown of Zhi.Zed's computer.

15. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

Should've figured that part by myself, sorry :p
    It runs MUCH smoother now, even with Chrome open, here's another pic.
    taskmgr2.

I am running win7 64x on a pc... I have been thinking about upgrading, but there's always something more important sucking out my money ;)

Will save this one, thanks :)

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

As others have said: definitely more ram will help. Especially on a win7 x64 that has background programs eating up most of your ram....
    Another item to check is the status of your HDD.. Check just how much free space is left on your drive... if it's 20% or less then you probably don't have enough space for proper DE-fragmentation and that is one of the most often causes for slow downs....

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I just wanted to add, for those who want to see how your memory is being used, this is the way... IMHO :)

Open Task Manager to the performance Tab:
    Capture1.PNG
    Then click the "Resource Monitor" button at the bottom and open the "Memory" Tab:
    Capture2.PNG

This tells you how the memory is used and what's using it... Good Stuff, I use it often..

Rondon1 likes this.
  18. Zhi.Zed

Zhi.Zed Member

2oldGeek, thaks for the tips :) My HDD is a bit low on space, so that might be one of the causes...
    Here's a shot with all users visible, maybe there's something there?

taskmgr3a. taskmgr3b.

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sorry, Zhi.Zed, can't tell much from that.
    Do this:

check your free disk space

• Click Start > Computer
    • A window will open
    • Information for your Hard disk drive(s), including the exact amount of free space available, will be displayed in the upper portion of the window.
    like this:
    Capture.PNG

Divide your free (161) by your total (199) 161/199= .80 Mine is 80% free. Let me know what you have?

Do a cleanup then recheck your free space and let me know the before and after...

• Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
    • This will open the Disk Cleanup window
    • Select the drive you want to clean up
    • Click OK
    • Check the following entries:
      • Temporary Internet Files
      • Recycle Bin
      • Temporary Files
    • Click OK
    • When asked if you're sure you want to delete these files, click Yes.

Now, Open Task Manager to the performance Tab, click the "Resource Monitor" button at the bottom and open the "Memory" Tab.. Post a snip of that......

2oG

Rondon1 likes this.
  20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

bottom of task manager in those piks shows cpu at 9% & ram usage at 31

use service.msc to set these to manual or disable
    wpnetwk - windows media player net work sharing (disable if you don't use it)
    windows update - set to manual assuming you remember to check monthly or so
    print spooler - windows printer driver set to manual.if required you can use task manager to get it going it's under services tab
    malwarebytes - set to manual you already have avast
    windows live - if you don't use it often set to manual

that's about as much as you can do the rest is system

Last edited: May 24, 2015