1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sly Soft Customer Non-Support

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wizz53405, Feb 23, 2004.

1. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

I recently tried to upgrade my CloneCd and found out that SlySoft purchased the rights from Elaborate Bytes. They are refusing to allow me to upgrade because I did not purchase the program within the last 12 months. Anyone else out there burned by them? Here's what their reply was to my querry and my reply to them:

--- SlySoft Support <support@slysoft.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We paid for CloneCD and will continue
    > developing this software. We have an
    > agreement with Elaborate Bytes that
    > users having registered within the
    > past 12 months get free upgrades.
    >
    > Thus we cannot grant you another free
    > update for CloneCD. Sorry.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > John Smith
    > Customer Support

John,

So what you are saying is that even though I bought
    this program and because you purchased the rights to
    it, you will no longer support the software I
    purchased? That's what I call true customer
    non-support. Now I know why you call yourself
    SlySoft.

This non-support needs to be shared with the whole
    internet population.

I need a new program that will back up my games and I refuse to pay SlySoft $40 for something I've already paid for once. Any suggestions?

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

then they are just a disgrace another one of a growing list to avoid with a barge pole
    DaOsT

3. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

Does anyone remember Copy II Plus/Copy II PC? I don't remember how many upgrades I purchase for a low fee because I was a registered owner of the program. What happened to that idea? Anybody out there own Alcohol 120%? Is it worth the $50 investment? They claim that minor upgrades are free and major upgrades are available for a nominal fee.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

After using the trials for both Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite 5 I bought BlindWrite5, although both worked quite well. If you own a Plextor Premium CDRW like me, BW5 is especially sweet because with the free BW5Tweaker utility it can take advantage of the Premium's varirate writing process to turn out wonderful copies of the latest SecuRom games which can be a bugger for other drives. It works well with SafeDisc too.

http://www.vso-software.fr/
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  5. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

Thank you Nephilim,

"Ask one small favor. Leave boy alone to train."

But seriously, Any suggestions for heavily populated forums to vent on this "Sly" soft business?

6. tjones.tx

tjones.tx Member

Use the free version until you can no longer do so.
    I have purchased many softwear via web, some good some not so good, visit these forums more gather all info possible then decide.

7. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

Thanks for the reply tjones.tx
    ... but what forums?

8. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

Seems like I was only eligeble for free upgrades for one year per the original agreement. All of this wasn't upfront and visable when I paid my $. My gripe now is, why should I have to pay full price for an upgrade when I already paid $ as a registered owner? Why not some nominal fee, like $10 - $12 for major upgrades.

Anyone else out there have an opinion?

9. Nephilim

I agree that a smaller upgrade fee would be more reasonable but what can you do? It's their software and their prices.

The best way to communicate your unhappiness is to take your business elsewhere and let SlySoft know why you paid for software other than their own, but be nice about it :) Let them know you would have upgraded if the price was more reasonable. BlindWrite5 and Alcohol 120% are two very capable programs and well worth the money.

10. wizz53405

wizz53405 Member

You're right about that Nephilim. But, there is something we can do (registered owners that is), we can let them know via email that we're not gonna take it (from Tommy, right)? They don't have a corner on the market so all you registered owners out there, send them some email and let them know that "We're not gonna take it". I have sent them email and given them the url of the place that I have sent most of my messages (Clone CD Forums Lounge). There are over 40 responses and over 450 views of the messages sent there. Check it out! And, Send Those EMAILS!

11. Nephilim

"We're Not Gonna Take It" was from Twisted Sister - my favorite hair band of all time :)