1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlySoft switching over to the Euro soon, prices going up

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fasfrank, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I would aspect a spike in sales of dvdfab platinum with this news from slysoft. bet they will watch this closely

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

ZoSoIv,
    Not DVDFAB DECRYPTER PLATINUM, either DVDFAB HD DECRYPTER (FREE RIPPER), or DVDFAB PLATINUM (FULL PROGRAM). Also, DVDFAB GOLD.

A spike in sells could very well send the price of DVDFAB PLATINUM back to $79.00. Slysoft's strategy to drive up competitor pricing? Really, not a bad idea. Might work. And by increasing price in 2008, will create a surge in DEC.07 sells.

Who's to blame for the US dollar's decline in value.
    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=2483

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Even at $79 DVDFab Platinum will be a buy compared to AnyDVD HD at $116 US (79 EUR). At bundle prices AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD 2 will be $136.60 US (93 EUR). I suspect Fengtao and his buddies over at DVDIdle will have a smile on their face watching the competition price their product off the market. I won't even say buy the Slysoft ware before it goes up. I hate to see them make any kind of profit from such gouging methods. My advice to anyone now is buy DVDFab Platinum if you want a good retail app. I couldn't see buying AnyDVD after DVDIdle started giving away DVDFab HD Decrypter for free and definitely not now.

4. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    $49 currently (as stuff gets rounded up) is 35 euro's.
    35 euro's transferred back to dollars (again rounded up) $52.
    Now because a large part of commerce trades in euro's. I believe there is a 'fee' for handling other currencies.
    Say that was roughly 3%, so $1.5.
    Added to the $52 (but of course rounded up) $54.
    A price rise of say 10% (again rounded up) would give you $60.
    A hike of $11.
    In my earlier post (& yes I have only just noticed) I had mean't to type that the above $79 didn't equate, it was more likely even with a modest rise to be $59 not $79.
    This is speculation by me. As there has been no figure stated or implied as to how much the cost of Slysoft products is to be.

Work it out for yourselves.
    http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html#

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I guess I was remembering when AnyDVD was cheaper with discounts at around $29 back in the day, not $49 like it is now. Yes, with my numbers, using those exchange rates still makes it more than $7 (more like $19), even more since its $49 now. Thats still a helluva deal for anyone not in the USA, which is most the world.
    My slight exaggeration to make a point was meant to show the USA have absolutely no reason to expect the rest of the world to cater to us given our current business model and financial situation, without being too political or starting a flame war.
    Yes Slysoft is pricing themselves out of the market, but its their decision and sometimes it sounds like the same old whiny rhetoric when it comes to complaining about other countries and their businesses making their own decisions that may not satisfy my countries needs. Lets bomb them and steal their oil, I mean steal their anti-copy protection software.
    Sorry if I did turn this political, I guess I cant understand most of the backlash from this change, thinking globally instead of locally.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm thinking strictly from a consumer point of view, irregardless of nationality. The hike by Slysoft is excessive whatever currency they use. It's not nationalistic to yell ripoff when you see one coming down the pike. They've been using sales off and on for a while, but the given price of AnyDVD HD is currently $79 US, which converts to about 54 euros. 25 euros to hike the price to 79 is about a %46.3 increase in euros. You can do the conversions for sales. http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html Fasfrank I believe was the first to mention the 1:1, dollar to euro, rate hike by Slysoft. I saw the same on a news blog. That hike from 79 to 116 USD means a %46.8 increase. So thinking US and euro, the hike for both is just about the same percentage wise, %46. As I mentioned before, irregardless of the currency, that's quite a jump for a piece of software. The US is only part of the global market, how about the currencies that trade less than the dollar? They'll be paying even more.

Speaking of economies doesn't have to be political. The situation the US is in is simple if you look at it. The US is a consumer market with good returns on international investments. The US buys the goods produced by other countries and international businesses and individuals invest capital in US businesses. When capital is being siphoned off (trade deficit) as it is in the US, the currency value is going to drop off in the international community. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens if the dollar falls too far relative to the currency of its trading partners. If the US can't buy the products and there's no other market, then the sellers' currency starts dropping as well. What it means for the US is if other countries don't help with the issues of trade deficit then the US will have to be more proactive in dealing with the situation.

But as I pointed out, a %46 hike by Slysoft is price gouging, in euros or dollars.

7. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

Does CloneDVD have life time updates like AnyDVD does

8. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    In a word........YES!!! :)

9. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

I wonder how many people will be whining after the increase, when they could have bought it for much less by buying now, before the increase. My Suggestion; If you are procrastinating about buying at least AnyDVD now, buy it. Otherwise you will pay more later.
    Buy it, backup yor key/keys. Even keep backups of the latest versions of the software. Think Ahead
    I would go ahead & buy CloneDVD2 as well, you'll get the bundle price, and the best transcoder out there.
    Edit: Typo

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Why buy 2 pieces of software from Slysoft when the job can be done with DVDFab Platinum from DVDIdle? One program does the entire job and it costs less. Plus DVDFab has done better than Slysoft the last while for getting the updates done quicker. If all you need is a program to bypass copy protection, the free DVDFab HD Decrypter does the job. Slysoft's niche in the market is that often the copy protection software runs at the same time as the transcoding software and saves a few minutes. That's getting to be quite a chunk of change for such a small convenience.

12. res2cue

res2cue Guest

it makes sense for them to switch to Euros if their expenses are paid in Euros. It's all Economy and if you any other nationality than American you feel this everyday for products that are sold in US Dollars. Being Canadian I paid close to $61 for anydvd when I bought it simply because the American dollar had a higher value than the Canadian. If I would have held off until recently the same purchase could have cost me about $44. So, now that they are switching to Euros yes the price increases for some, and more for others, but it isn't really a price increase. As the American currency raises its value the gap gets closer and closer. Now, you can see what the rest of the world goes through when trying to buy American priced items.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Frankly I could care less if Slysoft sells their software and t-shirts in yen or pesos. That's just a matter of currency conversion. The trick is that at the same time Slysoft is switching the currency, they're also jacking the price by a huge margin in all currencies. (Word has it that it's going to be a 1:1 conversion from USD to EUR.) The currency conversion is going to be whatever the global banking system dictates. Just think, when the price goes to 79 euros for AnyDVD HD, that's about $116 US and Canadian.

Res2cue
    At the current rate of exchange, 1:1, if you're paying more for US goods in Canadian dollars than US dollars, it's either the taxes your country is imposing or somebody is ripping you off.

I'd like to see the US drop the favored trading nations business and impose taxes on all products coming from outside its borders. That's what China, Japan, and a bunch of other countries have done to protect their home grown industries and prevent trade deficits. The taxation and economic models used in the UK, EU, China, and Japan might come in handy. The current economic model was why a lot of US companies went international for cheaper products and manufacturing. The new tariffs and barring international competition would spark manufacturing in the US once again. Some of the producing nations that are selling their goods to the US may not appreciate the cut to their economies. But who wants those American Dollars anyway?

With the "worthless dollar" the US should be considering itself poor. Just think, a world with the Americans out of their hair and their economies. I wonder who is going to send aid to the US. Anyone wanting to get rid of those "worthless" notes with dead presidents on them, just send them my way. ;)

Just a question or two. Whose going to buy all those goods when the US can't? With today's global market economy, what's happens when one of the largest consumers can no longer afford to consume?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  14. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

LOL Who cares what Slysoft does! If people don't like their prices, they can shop elsewhere. For those who think their products are the greatest thing since sliced bread; I say, let them buy it. Their products are very popular. Despite price increases, consumers will continue to buy their products. Nero 8, and DVDFAB Platinum, both cost less and do more.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@QuikDraw

Who made you moderator? This thread is titled "SlySoft switching over to the Euro soon, prices going up." That's what everyone has been discussing. It won't affect most of us in this thread because we have already bought it, but there will be noobs who won't simply because of the price in the future.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

QuikDraw's comment on the alternatives make a good point. We've taken the discussion on Slysoft about as far as it can go. Some people seem to think it's a statement on the weak USD and that it's just raising the price so US consumers will have to pay more like the rest of the world. Seems somebody forgot the part about international banking and currency conversion. If the US is paying more, so is everyone else.

If a company jacks its product prices out of reach, it makes good sense to buy a product that does the same job for less. That makes suggesting an alternative legitimate when Slysoft starts charging a lot more euros. It's not just Slysoft switching to the euro, but a lot more euros than it currently costs. ;)

Sadly there's enough people out there who will buy the hype and buy things at any price. Hopefully the small number of suppliers of decryption software won't lead to a monopoly type market where everyone raises their prices instead of competing. Whose going to protect your rights when you no longer get those lifetime subscriptions but have to start paying for updates on a monthly or yearly basis? I can't help but remember those guarantees made by 321 Studios, then big brother took them away.

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Sounds like a politically correct way to insult me and res2cue for not telling you how great the term paper on economics is you've been nice enough to write for us all.
    I agree everyone will ultimately pay more and as truthful and factual as your points may be, I believe you are missing OUR point.
    If the dollar and euro were equal would this change be made, or would it just be another regular price increase because they want more money?
    If they are pegging their prices to the Euro, what happens when the trade rate evens back up as it should sometime? Or swings back in our favor?
    Please show me where they say how much the cost increase is. As of now its all theoretical, maybe it'll only be an increase of 5euro. Doesnt sound bad for most the world, sounds worse for us as of now.
    I do agree that DVDFabHD is looking better and better every day for those that havent made the purchase. This just means there will be more cracked versions of AnyDVD popping up.
    Sorry if I rambled, it just started sounding a little condescending around here and I had to break it up a little.

18. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

19. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Try doing those calcs in New Zealand dollars you think the US ain't worth nowt, ours is used worldwide in the board game monopoly..lol.. at the mo the price is good for the software once it goes euro however forget it,sadly the US dollar has had it's day the euro will end up taking over then chances are asia will take over from it what a vicious cycle,i'm off to look at dvdidle that you mentioned i assume it does all what the slysoft bundle does.