1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlySoft switching over to the Euro soon, prices going up

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fasfrank, Nov 30, 2007.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

By Jove, I think he's got it.

At today's rates the price increase is 44.1 percent.

@dr_ml422

I was just commenting on DVD9 and DVD5, that's the two common formats we have now. The DVD9 is dual layer, DL for short. The single layers are noticably cheaper and we have plenty of good software to fit DVD9 sized videos down to DVD5. As for the hd formats, I was simply pointing to cost.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

@pacman

DVD9 didn't do well as far as pricing, burning, etc.. as compared to the DVD5, or just cost wise? really just curious because i never used DL'S.

i was going to suggest that slysoft, or anyone else 4 that matter come up w/software that can convert hd's n blurays 2 regular format, but that wouldn't make too much sense except 4 short term. when conversion kicks in they'll stop producing the regular formats sooner, or later.

hey maybe if just until conversion it wouldn't be such a bad idea. it could b included in an all in 1 package, so when conversion kicks in any1 who purchased it would b ok. then mab i'd consider that jacked up new price. would have to make it so that it would b able to play on regular burner while being converted. that would really b something.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The situation with the recordable DL is mostly cost. Recording is a bit trickier due to the layer break, but with good software that isn't a problem.

One thing I can say for Slysoft is that they've kept up the support and not charged extra to update AnyDVD. HD being a new feature, I can see charging extra for it. However, DVDFab added new features and didn't raise the cost. They started giving away DVDFab HD Decrypter. As a come on or whatever, it's still free and hopefully will remain so. As for the price hike, I still don't see the higher Slysoft prices when there are good freeware and lower cost retail available. As noted before a problem is that the best freeware is from a retail entity. The horror story happens if the top suppliers of recording software create a monopolistic price scale instead of competing.

I've already got my software. So, I'm only going to worry if/when they start requiring new upgrades we have to pay for. I feel sorry for those who don't know what's available and will end up paying the exorbitant price for the expensive Slysoft programs. To each his own... caveat emptor.

4. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

Buy it before it goes up. AnyDVD + CloneDVD is NOW $55.20. That's $69.00 for the 2, minus 20% At Slysoft's Christmas Discount before January 1st.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html#products
    If you want the Best, you should be able to buy it before the price goes up. Let's see, $55.20 is what? about the same as buying 3 New release DVDs?
    No-One can say Slysoft did not give everyone ample time to buy at the lower prices! Besides, I say this: "It is worth every penny I paid for it, and: You only but it once!"

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That doesn't include the $30 US for the HD option. I'm not sure if that's considered an upgrade or not. Upgrades don't get the "Christmas" discount. $49 US for DVDFab Platinum at the current discount. It's been going on for a long time. DVDFab Platinum is an all in one program.

DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink or Rebuilder, all for free. I gave jdobbs a donation for the DVD Rebuilder. At the price, RB is more a gift than a retail version of the free RB. With that I use RipIt4Me, DVD Decrypter (alone), and DVDFab HD Decrypter much more than AnyDVD. My point is that you can turn out better movies with freeware than retail. Granted, it does take a little more time, but encoding delivers a better output, especially when compression is an issue. For those who like doing things in a hurry with a low learning curve, and cost isn't a factor, then Slysoft is the trick.

You can't say buy Slysoft while it's cheap, just buy it before the price gets jacked through the roof. ;) That is if you don't like the free options and lower cost programs.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i guess "Less Expensive" would be the correct term huh lol

7. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

Posted by Pacman777:
    That statement is going to step on some toes here. To each His/Her own I say. Whatever you want to use. I don't have a Lot of time to spare, so I like AnyDVD which decrypts on the fly while I encode & burn with CloneDVD2.
    Please don't imply that Slysoft Lovers have a low learning curve.
    By the way, I also have DVDFab Decrypter too, and use it sometimes. Works very good.
    Happy Holidays Everyone!

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Uh-huh.

I have no idea why anything would step on anybody's toes. I guess if a person was paranoid, they might think the "low learning curve" was directed toward them. I have the utmost respect for my fellow AD members' intelligence and would never challenge it. I was simply saying the Slysoft software has a low learning curve, it's easy software to use.

It's a given fact that encoders outperform transcoders, especially where higher compression is involved. The free RB with the free Hank's Encoder is free and meets the expectations of its users. It's nothing meant to put down anyone's software, that goes for all transcoders, not just CloneDVD 2. Like I mentioned, encoders take more time. However, for those wanting quality and don't mind spending a little more time getting it, RB and Hank's Encoder are there for free.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

true BUT for me the main reason i use it is a time issue. working 50 plus a week i have less time to use the freeware than some people

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ZoSo
    RB has a batch mode. Most users set up a batch and let the computer do it's thing while they're working, sleeping, or otherwise away from the PC. Users with dual core (or better) systems can multitask, if they are set up with enough system resources. As you can see, the time needed from the user can be minimal when planned.

11. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

For someone who does not own the program, want to own the program or even likes the program you sure protest too much. I'm sure no one at SlySoft or anywhere else will ever force you to buy the program(s).

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you are referring to me, you have the wrong take. I own both AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. I got them back when they were still reasonably priced. I just don't use them as much as other software. I've never become completely reliant on any one set of programs to do a backup. I have to say I favor using Rebuilder for encoding and DVDCopy for transcoding. As for decryption, I like a good ripper. DVD Decrypter, RipIt4Me, and DVDFab Decrypter fit the bill as well as AnyDVD's ripper, those 3 are all freeware.

The only thing I'm really protesting is the price gouging soon to go into effect. But as everyone says, Slysoft has the right to rip customers off if they want and if the consumers will go for it. My point with the other posts was to point out there's as good or better software to be had at lower prices and free.

As has been said, each to his own preferences. There's no one right set of programs for doing a backup, though some programs give better results than others. I'd just like to see the new consumers of backup software proceed in an informed manner before buying ridiculously high priced software. If anyone has looked over the situation and wants Slysoft, then now is the time to buy the expensive programing before it goes ballistic.

13. expat83

expat83 Member

Just two comments:

1. The HD upgrade is $30 and is eligible now for the 20% discount. Just ask for it and send SlySoft support your order number. $6.00 isn't much but who would turn it down?

2. Keep in mind that SlySoft only asks for money ONCE when you buy a license. Ther is NEVER a renewal charge for ANYTHING. Americans have been requesting to cancel their newsletter mails and have even uninstalled their products thinking that SlySoft would ask for money after the Euro implementation.

I work there so you can believe it.

14. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I'll just be glad to see the new year come so this is all finalized and the end can come to this thread. It is purely personal, some feel slysoft is the best out there, others know that the free alternatives can do the job just as well at no cost. All said, I don't think anyone feels the price increase is justified, only future consumers can truly answer that question.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I just talked a nephew into getting AnyDVD, CloneDVD, and cloneDVD mobile before the price increase.

16. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

How many consumers have ever felt that a price increase for a product is justified?

How many employees have ever felt that a wage increase for their work product is justified?

Interesting paradox, I think......

17. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

That should not stop you Creaky, you can use
    The Paysafe Card in the UK, they have outlets all over Europe.
    http://www.paysafecard.com/uk/

18. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Cheers Alan, ps i can't add you as an AD buddy as you haven't setup a profile page, doh! :)

20. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I will do that now creaky, thanks.