1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlySoft switching over to the Euro soon, prices going up

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fasfrank, Nov 30, 2007.

1. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi guys. being the old soldier that i am,i thought the more you have of a product the lesser the price. if it was the only game in town, then i figure it would cost more. saturation usually ends up w/a price decrease no?

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks like you got it wrong this time. Slysoft is jacking the rate sky high.

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I wonder if they see the writing on the wall? Do they fear a shutdown of their operations similar to LightningUK and Ripit4me?

4. expat83

expat83 Member

It's not that simple. America will get the wake up call of its life when the Arabs start pricing oil in the euro or if the Chinese start dumping the trillions of dollars they have. That may be future shock music but back to the present: any business that has its sales in a steadily declining currency while its development and support costs are largely in euro has to make a hard decision. In 2007 alone, Slysoft's "Sales" declined >25% and there was no end in sight. The decision had to be made and we still offer good price/performance, no renewals, free updates, support even after one year, etc.

5. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

well it doesn't matter whether they offer support, or anything else 4 that matter. bottom line they jacked it up excessively, and please don't tell me that being the businessmen they are that they didn't know the dollar was nothing compared 2 the euro. that would b total nonsense too even go that route. from the get go they should of had a price that in their best interest would compensate for any overhead related to the difference in value from the dollar 2 the euro. i bet anything that if it was priced higher from the get go some of us would of still bought it, and then complained a lil, but not so much after an increase after that.

as far as china, and the arabs are concerned don't get paranoid w/hypothetical situations concerning any foreign investments here from another country. the first thing they tell u when you go work as a stock broker, or investment banker on wall st. is "it's they're money until they invest, or buy from us. after that it's our money."

all investments are frozen. believe me. now oil is another issue.

back 2 slysoft and the euro. my 2 cents while not in euro i thought are worth a lil something, if anything.

6. res2cue

res2cue Guest

so, the easy way would be to switch currency and adjust the price to reflect the change to higher valued currency so that nobody gets a huge kick in the teeth. I've defended the decision (although I think slysoft has cut their own throat) but there is no other way to describe this as anything other than a money grab. Whats next, start charging for renewals or updates if sales still continue to decline? I'd expect the answer to be no, but then again I would never expect a smart business to increse the price of a product 40% and still wonder why they don't succeed. You can't seriously expect an increase in sales. This decision did not benefit a single consumer.. not one worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

it will be interesting to see if dvdfab platinum follows suit

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

dr_ml422, res2cue

Well said.

@ expat83
    As a businessman, what about international banking and foreign currencies don't you understand? Your raising the price by 40% was the complaint, not which currency you chose to trade in. Your 1:1 switch from the USD to the euro was simply the means by which you accomplished it. You could have just as easily set your price at a 0.9:1 ratio (or less). The price hike was 40 percent in all currencies. 40% is 40% in anybody's money, including the euro.

How would the Arabs trading in euros effect anyone? I suspect the EU is already paying for their oil in euros, the US will continue to use dollars, and the Mexicans will use pesos. It's when they raise the prices that it hurts the wallet. The euro isn't the new gold standard yet. There's rates of exchange. The home currency isn't dollars or euros for the Arabs. You sounded a bit nationalistic; it's an international market depending on currency exchange rates.

Like I said before, I don't blame Slysoft for using a stable currency to trade in. We realize the dollar has gradually shifted lower against the euro. Slysoft could have occasionally raised the price to compensate for inflation or deflation (according to which side of the coin you're looking at). After all, you weren't dealing in just dollars, or was the US your only customer? Rhetorical, I already know the answer (probably one of the largest, but not the only one).

It's about an over the board, all currencies inclusive, 40% price hike. Your Canadian customers won't be happy, nor the Mexicans, Spanish, Norwegians, British, French, or the rest of the EU. No one likes paying an inflated price (overly inflated in my point of view). When you raised the price by 40% that raised the cost by 40% in euros as well. Seems that's the part you appear to be overlooking. Still don't see what the Arabs selling oil to the EU has to do with you guys jacking software prices.

To me it looks like Slysoft has a one trick pony and the market is growing smaller due to past sales and the promise to keep the programs updated for free. Other companies like Ahead change versions occasionally and call it an upgrade instead of update and sell the program over again. Incorporating a system where customers pay an annual subscription fee (first year free with initial sale), makes more sense than laying the burden on the dwindling number of new customers. The AV software companies do it all the time and your's is a similar situation (constantly having to update to stay effective). Early buyers of the Slysoft program got a real deal. I feel sorry for the new customers; they're paying for all the updates since.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

@PacMan777

Very well stated and clearly to the point.

10. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

It does seem at tad overpriced at $71 but seriously, think how much AnyDVD pays for itself over time by decrypting movies. Most new-release blockbusters are still at the $20-40 dollar mark in most places.

So you copy 2-4 DVDs with it and it's pretty much paid for itself. And let's not forget it does a top-notch job at it too, rips them for you, defeats anything out there, $71 isn't asking that much if you think about it.

11. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

we could keep looking 4 five paws on a cat w/this. bottom line is it went up drastically, and while i'm sure most of us could probably get it, and even at some point do so, who doesn't like the bang 4 their bucks. that's why dvdfab is still the more reasonable choice.

ie: you have the $$$ 4 2 cars. a benz, or another nice car like a lincoln. or caddy. they're both going 2 take you 2 your destination. 1 is cheaper than the other, and the other 1 better made. but you save big $$$ on the initial buy and in the long run on maintenance and insurance. so the updates w/anydvd would b free maintenance. both cars will b insured 2 get you where you're going.

listen. it's always about the money. we hear it all the time that it's the principle not the $$$. but if there was no $$$ involved than $$$ would never b mentioned.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's supposed to be about protecting the investment. The only savings should be keeping the kids and dogs from using the original DVD as a chew toy. dr_ml422 put it well when he said it's all about the money and DVDFab is still the best bang for the buck. I wish another company would come out with a good decryption program. Seems the market is so saturated with software that it doesn't appear good economics for a software company to join in the competition. It's also limiting as to location, Big Brother and all.

13. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

downloaded dvdfab platinum last night. it's a rap. definitely b4 the trial's over it's mine. that 1 click goes a long way. i'm not going 2 abandon my shrink, and imgburn by no means. still both great guns 2 have if things get crazy as it does once in a while. i'm convinced. the verdict is in afaic. never rule out anydvd in the distant future, but 4 now i definitely am in hurry whatsoever.