1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small combing effect on my encoded xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by myfinger, Jun 25, 2004.

1. myfinger

myfinger Member

I just made this xvid file and it's at a pretty decent kpbs, it's like around 1600 or something. but the problem is that whenever there is a fast scene, there is a like a very visible combing effect (screen turns sort of into small lines where the fast action takes place) Is this normal? My original movie was a progressive NTSC film, so i didn't have to use decomb.dll at all. So i donno what else i could do. I still have the first-pass file, and if i need to recompress again, can i just start from the first pass again? or do i need to start a whole new process

2. happyuser

happyuser Guest

You did not mention the frame rate that you are encoding at: whether you had used "Forced Film" feature or whether your decision to use "Forced Film" was right for a particular types of NTSC materials. Please reread my guide that shows how to properly treat different type of ntsc follows:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/89591
    Remember, the indicator in DVD2AVI may show "98% Film" but when it comes to the near middle or near the end, the percentage of film drops and the indicator may or may not show this changed film percentage. I had seen many "HardCore" progressive FILM ( as DVD2AVI shows at the beginning ), but when I watch as DVD2AVI progresses during its work, the FILM percentage drops to that of below 90% of film. I even saw it drops to 50% of film. Obviously in this situation, you can not use "Forced Film", you have to check to see if the percentage of Film level to be either fit for a No-Guide IVTC or a Hybrid treatment.
    Your mention, if it is true, of your case, seems to be of mix film and NTSC pure interlace. An example would be the 16x9 Lilo and Stitch. In this case, you have to use IVTC with no-guide or sometimes a modifiedy version of a hybrid treatment. For this Lilo n Stitch, the IVTC with No-Guide is sufficient. Other people believe that you should use Smart Deinterlace together with IVTC no-guide. In the case when for example say 64% Film, what will you chose? IVTC No-Guide? or the Hybrid treatment? In this case, you can use IVTC with no-guide and together with Smart Deinterlacer, but you will have to wait for this version of Smart Deinterlacer that can work with the AviSynth. Or you can just use the Hybrid Treatment.

3. myfinger

myfinger Member

It was definitely 99% progressive Film throughout and at 29 fps. Yea so according to your guide, i used forced film, is that correct?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  4. happyuser

happyuser Guest

DoItFast4U is a great tools. When you open this software, in the middle of this software, there a button called "AutoDetectNTSC Video Type". If in doubt, you can use this DoItFast4U to auto-detect your NTSC video type: this DoItFast4U will detect automatically NTSC video type if you enable the button above. This DoItFast4U is pretty accurate in detecting and treating various type of NTSC. I am still currently using it for all mine DivX encoding. So Use it.
    When you open this software, on top, there is a menu called "Global Options", inside click the "AVS Script Editor". A new windows will appear. Remember back in my guide about how you create various type of AVS, for example DVD_prg_Film.avs, or DVD_hybrid.avs, DVD_Interlace.avs, ect.? Remember? You can copy and paste those code ( statements ) into this new window of DoItFast4U. For example, there is the hybrid treatment, and then the deinterlace treatment, and then the IVTC treatment. The Header section see it? The "Import..." statement, you can keep it, but you do not need it: this is for CCE. you can just get rid of the LoadPlugin statement also. And copy and paste the following statement into it:
    #LoadPlugin("c:\dvdtools\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3dg.dll")
    #LoadPlugin("c:\dvdtools\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\UnDot.dll")
    ---------------------
    For the footer, if you keep the import state in the Header (import("C:\Program Files\DoItFast4U\new.avs\addaudio.avs") ), you have to keep the AddAudio(). I personally just get rid of these two statement because I do not need them in VirtualDub. And add the following statements:
    #BicubicResize(640,480)

#BicubicResize(720,544)
    #Crop(0,48,720,400)

#BicubicResize(720,416)
    #Crop(0,48,720,368)
    UnDot()
    ---------------------------------

An example of my deinterlacing with SmoothDeinterlacer.dll would be:

LoadPlugin("c:\dvdtools\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    SmoothDeinterlace(lacethresh=5,edgethresh=20,staticthresh=0)
    ---------------
    Now click on the "Global Options" again, do you see the "Save Settings on Exit", do you see it? Make that "Always" is checked.
    Now click on this "Global Options" again, and then click "Other Options". A new windows appear. See the "Threshold Settings"? It is at top. The fourth one is "Don't Correct Delays less than". Do you see it? Now put a 0 inside it. Now you can just click "OK" to return to the main interface of this DoItFast4U.
    Click on this "Global Options" again, and then click "Post Processing" and then uncheck the "Create Video_TS using unused VTSes": uncheck this and you are done. Now you can just exit this software so that it will save the settings you just set. Now this is very important, from now on, every time you open this DoItFast4U, it will say "Do you want DoItFast4U to correct your AVS Scripts?"; it will always ask you this when you open it: choose NO. Remember, choose NO every time.
    When you open DoItFastr4U, on the middle right, you can uncheck any VTS set or any PGC(Program Chain) you do not want. That is pretty cool ha.
    Now you can use the AVSEdit to do the resize and crop in all the AVS.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

NTSC Progressive Film is 23.976 fps.
    DVD2AVI may show less than 100% because the opening and closing credits may be interlaced. Some films (rare) may cut interlaced segments into the body of the film ie. computer graphics/animation, but Force Film would still be appropriate. Result: 23.976fps
    If you have a true-interlaced source (ie. Trailer Park Boys) then you don't Force Film, and you get the effect you described which is interlace artifact. You need de-interlace filter during encoding. Result: 29.970fps
    Third possibility is 24fps original film that's been converted to 30fps (telecine). This is a conversion from 4 progressive frames into 5 frames consisting of 3 solid frames and 2 interlaced frames, and will display the 3:2 characteristic if you preview D2V file frame-by-frame, or even open D2V file in text editor. (You will observe 2 frames with interlace artifacts, then 3 frames OK.) Again you would not Force Film, rather you would IVTC during encoding which removes the (redundant) fifth frame. Result: 23.976fps
    Identifying these three main NTSC types is important. 95% of DVDs are Progressive (easy!) but determining whether your interlace is telecine or true-interlace can seem tricky at first.
    http://www.doom9.org/video-basics.htm
    Here is a link to supplement info avail on AD and elsewhere...

6. happyuser

happyuser Guest

To myFinger
    you did not read carefully what I wrote, especially about DoItFast4U. I will quote it again so you can see ( please allow me so that to save me some time ):
    quote start:
    DoItFast4U is a great tools.... a button called "AutoDetectNTSC Video Type". If in doubt, you can use this DoItFast4U to auto-detect your NTSC video type: this DoItFast4U will detect automatically NTSC video type if you enable the button above. This DoItFast4U is pretty accurate in detecting and treating various type of NTSC. I am still currently using it for all mine DivX encoding. So Use it
    end quote.