1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Electrical Smoke

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wdowsing, Mar 12, 2005.

1. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

Today i turned my comp on and heard an awful noise then out the back fan lots of grey/white smoke came, so immidtaly turn the thing off and investigated it looks like the thing was the SPEAKER wire as this was bare wire for the first 4 inches and singed the rest right down to the connecter, is this ok to run without the speaker wire connected.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes but keep a close eye on system both hardware & software for future possible problems because of this incident

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

your best precaution as of right now is to by a new mobo, first of all..... and after that run tests on your memory to make sure it didnt fry your sticks as well.... but i would definitely buy a new mobo....

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

wdowsing

The question is, it your system still functioning? If it is, then by doing what ddp suggests is fine. I would also disconnect your system from any AC while not in use for a while until you feel comfortable that all is well again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

C'mon guys let's not get ahead of ourselves - nobody needs a new motherboard yet :)
    But sounds like wdowsing needs a new power supply.
    Get at least 400W. I have seen some new ones with 120mm fans & they were still less than $100.
    Power supplies are like batteries in cars; they're gonna go every 2-3 or maybe 5 years tops.
    Speaker wire? I dunno, if you say so... but not likely as it carries no voltages.
    L8R

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i have 1 in the garbage here to prove you wrong

7. clifton51

clifton51 Member

Everyone knows that all electronic equipment runs on smoke.
    Inside all those chips, capacitors, resistors diodes and wire...and in the tracks of pc boards...there is smoke, and it is this smoke that makes electronic equipment work.
    It is a proven fact that when the smoke comes out...it stops working! :)

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well if it was your speaker wire that has 'fried', then either your speaker has failed in a major way (never seen that before)

Or it was connected up to a power supply line.

Or a massive supply was injected onto the line - maybe sound card problem.

9. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

damn, well everythink works fine, i have taken the SPEAKER wire out of the case, doubt i need nethin 4 now, i was thinking looks like a bad connection on the speaker wire, i will keep an i on it and disconect from the ac supply for the next few weeks. By speaker wire Baabaa, the thing that u connect to ur mobo inside the case.

Thanks every1, i will let u no what else happens (hopefully nothing)

10. otester

otester Guest

wow never heard this be for lol. is it the wire for the speaker that beeps when your computer starts up?

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am confused now, as to what wire you are actually referring to.

Makes no sense to me, any chance of clarifying exactly what it is?

In any case if the wire has fried, then either it has been over voltaged, or what ever is connected to the other end of it has developed a severe hunger for amps..................

12. otester

otester Guest

exactly, how do we no that he didnt even connect both ends to power line, lol.

13. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

The thing that connects to ur mother board which for my has 4 spikes on the motherboard clearly named SPEAKER, and the SPEAKER which connects to it, it has nothin to do with a normal speaker, its the internal 1, i think otester is right, it is the thing that beeps.

14. otester

otester Guest

yep it is, go into your local shop and buy another one, their not exactly expensive or rip one out of another pc. i dont think their that important anyway!

15. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

good, thanks a lot for all ur help every1.

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

ahh, that makes sense.

Your internal speaker is crappy and cannot handle alot of power (just for beeping), the 'header' that you connected to, is that the 'header' that you would normally connect to external speakers?

If so then, for sure it is just the speaker that has been roached and your system should be quite intact.

The amount of power that the speaker header can produce is considerably larger than the internal speakers requirements, so the speaker would go splat BEFORE any damage to the circuitry would have occured.

You should be fine................

17. otester

otester Guest

LOL i have an idea of what probably happend,
    He plugged it into the fan socket which has a lot more power going throu it so it finally blew.

18. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

ur wrong, a fan thing has 3 SPEAKER which i put the thing into had 4 and it was definatly the speaker thing on the motherboard, i mean c'mon give me some credit.

19. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

and neway if u dont ask ur neva no, and if u dont mind stop dissing me arsehole.

20. otester

otester Guest

what? for singing ur speaker wire, suppose i should :)