1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Remarx XBOX Vs 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by NHOJ, Mar 28, 2007.

1. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

I never learned how to backup XBOX games.I only learned how to FTP and store my games.Im gonna get a modded 360 but from what i read you cant FTP into them.Ive looked through the forum and every time anyone ask a question about backing up their 360 game someone always replies with a smart remark.I got a Dual RW Drive,Alcohol 120% ,DVD Decrypter,Any DVD,NERO,Clone DVD 2. Can i backup my games i payed cash for with any of these programs ? If not what can i use.

2. theridges

theridges Guest

the only PC DVD Drives that can read xbox360 games are the
    SH-D162C and the TS-H352C, which themselves have to be flashed with Kreon's 0.81 Firmware...Ebay has them preflashed....or you can use the actual 360 drive to create back-ups...

to burn 360 games you can use imgburn or Clonecd....

3. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Thank you for the reply.I will look for that drive.Or will that drive come installed on the Modded 360?How can all that game info fit on a CD or does Clone CD burn to DVD also?you know what im say'n,you cant fit 2 gigs on a cd.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Alot of the time you'll read smart comments because people new to the scene will just jump on and start asking the same questions day in and day out instead of taking a day to actually search/read. It's nothing personal.

Daily we're asked:
    - can I play backups, if so, how?
    - can I still play on Live?
    - how do I copy a copy?

Here's a link to a good tutorial download: http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html and here's another with some good info once you've gotten some of the basics: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=513412 .

Members here are more than willing to help others who've shown that they've tried to help themselves first. It's the one's who expect to be spoon fed info which has been readily available for quite some time now who are bothersome.

5. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Thanks for the headsup.Your right.Ive been on this site for about two years and you do see alot of repeats.Ive searched through alot of the post when i got my firt moded PS2 and with out them i would have been lost.And with my XBOX if it hadnt been for searching all the post i would have never been able to FTP into the console................. The guy "THERIDGES" said ide have to have SH-D162C or TS-H352C to backup my games the question i have is "will the modded 360 already have that drive in it when it comes?"Seems like i read a post say'n that the disc drives cant be switched out, you gotta use an exturnal.

6. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

no those drives, "sh-d162c" and "ts_h354c" are only meant for use with a computer. they are actual PC(personal computer) dvd-rom drives, and you need to flash them with kreon in order for them to be able to read xbox 360 originals. and the games are burned on dual layer dvd+r(8.5GB) so there is plenty of space. and as for using your xbox 360 drive, you must first connect it to your computer via a SATA cable. and whether using hitachi drive or samsung, you must search for how to get hitachi into mode b and samsung using 0800 mode, so windows is able to see the drive and recognize it. a little heads up i know the hitachi's are not very good to ruip games from, the toshiba/samsung or pc dvd-roms come highly recommended for creating backups.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

No FTP with the 360, but there is really no need for it yet as you have nothing to FTP like the regular Xbox. The 360 can not store and play games from the hard drive like the older model could (unless of course you buy it from Xbox Live, then mysteriously it can store and play that game just fine)

Both can stream media, but the Xbox 1 has the advantag there as well. XBMC can play pretty much any video file either by streaming it or from a disc. The 360 can only play windows media format, so all the media programs for streaming 360 media have to transcode your files to that format for the 360 to play them. That and the fact that so far i have tried 2 different streaming media programs (ORB & TVersity) and neither one is really all that great or easy to use.

The drives needed to back up origianl discs above are correct, and i will just add one more, Samsung SH-D163A which is the same as the one's listed, but is the SATA version rather than the IDE.
    And the drives that theridges is talking about go into your PC, not the Xbox 360. The drive in the 360 needs to be flashed as well, which requires a computer with SATA slots and a flashing kit from Xecuter or Xeno. If you get a specific type of Hitachi drive there is one kit out there that will allow you to do it through USB. But personally i think you would rather have the Samsung M28 drive as the firmware right now it a little ahead of the Hitachi.
    you can find out if it is a hitachi or samsung without even opening it just by looking at the DVD drawers, there are plenty of sites that have pictures so you can identify it. But you will not know exaclty which model it is until you get in and see it. Personally, i know a few guys who can flash them, one of which can do it while still saving the security sticker (and your warranty). Then he send the system back with the security sticker on wax paper which you can just stick back on the system if you ever have problems during the warranty period.

8. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Thank you both for the reply.98sohc so a program like Clone DVD 2 will work as far as backing up ? Another guy said clone cd ,ive never used that one and besides i didnt think it could do dvd work.STEIMY wont the 360s drive be flashed already when i get modded.

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If money isn't a problem, the 162c is recommended because of the ease of making backups... but it's not a necessity. It's a regular pc rom drive (you'll still need a burner) and will still function as a pc drive after it's flashed with kreon... but with the added benefit of being able to read the security info from the original game disc.

CDVD2 is only for your movies. CCD also burns dvd's, not just cd's. CCD is the most recommended because it automatically sets the layer break for you. You can use Imgburn, but remember to set the layer break.

10. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Bhetrick this is alittle off subject but the only game i was never able to backup was God of War 1.It was to big a file for 4.7gb so i tried to put it on a dual layerd disc and it still wouldnt back up.Do yo think it maybe because i didnt use CCD to burn it?Ive never had to use the dual layerd disc before so im not familiar with the media.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, they will flash the drive when they mod it.
    and CloneCD is what you want, But IMGburn V2.1 is free, and i have done about 30 back ups with it and every one works. another free program to get is Xbox Backup Creator, in case you buy the samsung DVD drive for your PC to make back ups from original discs.
    Just buy some Verbatim DVD+R DL, you burn them the same way as a single layer (remembering to set the layer break) and it just takes a while longer to burn.

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

When it came out I burnt it to a +r dl with DVD Decrypter. The first backup didn't work. I read around then realized my burner's firmware needed updated. After that, the second burn played fine. So I don't think it was from not using CCD.

13. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Thanks very much for the help. I think yall got me cook'n with gas.I do most of my stuff on my laptop so i just bought an external Sony DVD DL Burner. Is there an Exteral writer that will work for 360 backups? steimy do you think i should have the Xecuter's Blaster 360 installed? Bhetrick since i dont know how to flash my Burner i will look around.Thanks again for the help.

14. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

As far as flashing your burner, the manufacturer provides firmware updates on a regular basis. You could just go to their website and just navigate until you find the latest firmware. Or, just google your model and firmware... ie. sony dru-710a firmware.

Once you do find it, flashing the burner is a piece of cake.

But don't misunderstand me... nowadays it's not as important to update the firmware. It's a good idea to keep your burners firmware up to date, but it's not a necessity. You asked about GoW 1. That was back when dl burning was still fairly new and the burner I was using needed updated. If you just bought a new burner, it should burn just fine out of the box.

As for the Blaster... I'd say save your money. It's good for 2 things,
    - constantly changing your 360's firmware
    - using the 360 to rip the original game's ss, dmi, and pfi

The 360's firmware is to the point now where you won't be changing it too often. The Blaster is about 8 months too late for that. And as for using it to rip the security info from the original disc... it is cheaper (and easier) to just buy the samsung sh-d162c pc drive.

15. steimy

steimy Active member

well, if you want to be able to flash it yourself with future updates, and not have to open the case each time then i would say that the blaster 360 would be a good investment. But so you know Xeno makes one called the TOP GEAR and it is about $30 cheaper the the Xecuter one.

16. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

I was thinking about what you both are say'n and you know my XBOX mod is about 2 years old and never had to do a firmware update on it and it will backup and play every game i put to it.I did what Steimy said i downloaded IMG Burn just to check it out before i run out and get the 360 . I burned a movie with it .But i cant figure out how its supposed to backup a game when it cant tell what protection is on the disc.Maybe Alcohol 120% can do it?

17. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You're still a little confused. Imgburn is only used to burn the backup. Not read it. Unless you're creating a backup from a backup. Then you can just do a 1:1 copy.

When starting from the original disc, a normal pc drive can make the iso, but it can not read the security info which is on the disc. This is where the samsung sh-d162c come in. When the 162c is flashed with a third party firmware (kreon) it will be able to read the security info, along with still functioning as a regular pc drive.

So, when using the 162c to create your backup, you will use 1 of 2 programs, either Xbox Backup Creator v2.5 or Schtrom v3.2. You can use either program... they both do the same thing. XBC seems to be the most prefered. Either program will create a ready-to-burn backup with just a few clicks. The backup will include the security info. Then just burn with Imgburn or CCD.

Hope this helps :)

18. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, if you want good movie back ups then get yourself the AnyDVD and CloneDVD combo from Slysoft. Those do a fantastic job.

But as far as burning ISO files for games, IMGburn is my favorite. I like the older version 2.1
    Same with Xbox Backup Creator, I still like and use V2.4 as the newer one gave me weird messages on the stealth checking screen.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  19. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

Ok i see what yall are say'n now.Like with PS2, Alcohol 120% deals with the copyright,on XBOX discs 162 C with firmware will read the copyright .I get it i get it.................I know yall two cant do it all for me but do you think that there is an external Rom that will work ?............

20. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

And there is one more thing i like to ask yall.Like i said at the top i never figured out how to put my XBOX Backups on disc so i FTP'd all my games to my pc.Im gonna sell my XBOX but how can i get those games on disc? Will XBOX Backup Creator do this? I used Craxtion to put them in my pc.