1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart ripper ripped but cant use dvdshrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by m4dd0g, Mar 10, 2004.

1. m4dd0g

m4dd0g Member

OK so before I went and procured by DVD burner I was making a few DivX's but after a few issues I stopped processing them and just set about filling my 240Gb raid set with ripped movies. Now I want them to go to DVD-R instead. But when I follow the dvshrink guide and get to choosing these files it tells me "failed to open video file etc. VIDEO_TS.IFO of course it cant cos it doenst exist Smartripper didnt make them that name. So what the f*ck do I do now? I basically got a 'couple' of these movies that I'd like to 'backup' but its seems there is a syntax problem that I need to get over... I searched for smartripper and only found one thread relating to what I was doing but not this problem. Please help!!

2. JPearson

JPearson Member

Seems like you could get round this by using Daemon Tools, which gives you "virtual" DVD-ROM drive on your computer. Mount the movies you've got on your hard drive on one of these "virtual" drives and then when you select "open disc" in DVD Shrink choose that as the souce. DVD Shrink should then do the rest, encoding the movie and burning it onto a DVD-R for you.

3. JPearson

JPearson Member

I think you need to mount each movie onto the virtual drive in ISO mode

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Or you could probably use IfoEdit to create the IFO file required.

For future endeavours DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink would be better options to rip the files to your HDD.

5. m4dd0g

m4dd0g Member

Thanks for the heads up guys, the DAEMON thing wont work as I dont have images its acutal VOB, INF files etc just the naming is incorect, so I'll grab the Ifoedit thing and look for a guide on it...

6. RIAABLOWS

RIAABLOWS Member

Its halarious how these guys have given you the shittyest help I've ever seen...

To copy practically any disc to your HD get CloneCD
    www.slysoft.com

DAEMON is good for running games but I wouldnt suggest using it for anything but...

For ripping DVD's I use bolth DVD Decrypter (which is the best software ever for creating .VOB files of your DVD) and Super DVD Ripper (which rips dvd's ok but is burning them where it shines) bolth of these programs can be found on www.snapfiles.com just click freeware and dvd ripping... the only main problem with these 2 programs is that they are pretty bad at fitting a full lenghth DVD on regular CD media... so I'd suggest a third party program to compress it as much as possible (Im looking for 1 myself) but if you have a DVD burner... What the Hell are you doin with CD media anyways :p just go pick up DVD X-Copy! I have it and i dont even have a DVD burner... Note I do not endorce the use of suprnova.org to anyone as Bit Torrent is Illegal in the US... *Cough*

7. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Thanks for the useful comments RIAABLOWS, but how does CloneCD help with DVDs? We are talking about copying movies ripped using SmartRipper and writing them to a DVD-R. Right m4dd0g?? (I hope)

You say you used SmartRipper, so I assume you just have a collection of VOBs? If thats the case, then IFOEdit will create a VIDEO_TS.IFO file for you OR try dragging the VOBS into DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

Maybe send us the actual file names you have for a movie...that'll help clear this up.

8. m4dd0g

m4dd0g Member

"Thanks for the useful comments RIAABLOWS, but how does CloneCD help with DVDs? We are talking about copying movies ripped using SmartRipper and writing them to a DVD-R. Right m4dd0g?? (I hope)"

You are correct I got a lot of directories full of VOB files, vts_01.lst, vts_01.idx, vts_01_0.ifo. so theres no sense mounting them as they are not images, and it looks like ifoedit is the go - but I am now curious about drag and drop as it looks lile the systemic error is the naming of the IFO file not being VIDEO_TS.IFO rather its VTS_01_0.IFO as created by smartripper.

9. m4dd0g

m4dd0g Member

Actually thats a no in re-author mode also as it just says naming file error. So I'll recreate the IFO with IFO edit and see whats cookin there

10. ReaSer

ReaSer Guest

this is how i would do it,

i would convert the video_ts dir into an iso using clone dvd,

then i would mount the iso

and use dvd shrink

note: mounting the iso will allow dvd shrink to run alot faster than just placing the dvd in a dvd rom drive

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

And recommending DVDXCopy over superior freeware isn't?

12. m4dd0g

m4dd0g Member

Thanks guys for all your help - I have followed another thread regarding the use of IFOEDIT and it would seem this is the easiest for now. Once I have cleared my backlog that were due for DivX I will do the ripping to DVD in a more streamlined manor. The result now is I have very good quality picture/sound DVD 'backups' with a removable subtitle and no menu (due to them originally being distined for CD-R. Its a good outcome and I'm plugging through it.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes IFOEDIT just like to crash near the end of the VOB extras bit... still unsure on that one.

13. Packfan

Packfan Member

If Smartripper didn't store the *.vob files in a folder called "video_ts", create one and move the *.vob files there. Then launch DVDShrink, from the drop down menu, select file, open, and browse to the video_ts folder. Shrink won't have any issues (just tried it on my machine).

If you ripped and stored an image file to your hard drive, use file, open image... DVDShrink will take care of those files in whatever directory they're stored.

Good luck