1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartripper - End of film in middle

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pgreen50, Dec 20, 2002.

1. pgreen50

pgreen50 Guest

Can anyone explain to me how to rip a film that plays the end of the film in the middle. I use smart ripper to rip the DVD's and then dvd2avi and finally TMPGEnc. I get great results but am a little stuck as to what to do with films that are in this format.

Thanx in advance

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

and the name of these films would be .......

3. pgreen50

pgreen50 Guest

Sorry X-Men

It seems to play the end of the film in the middle.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

pgreen50,

I could not find anything specific on X men, but did find these references about Minority Report, Symptoms were the same :-

They've just put a bogus vob-id 1 at the beginning that isn't referenced by the movie. Either strip out the movie by selecting the PGC (which will leave vob-id 1 behind), use Ifoedit and uncheck vob-id 1, or as I prefer copy all the files to the HD and then load vts_01_1.vob into vobrator. Make sure that vob-id 1 is not included in the output and then save as a new file. Rename the original file to something and then change the newly saved one to vts_01_1.vob. From then on treat as normal.

You'll also find exactly the same on Monsters, Inc.
    Using DVD2AVI I set the starting point for the stream after the bogus part and the ending point just before the end credits (so that final size ~133 mins) and re-encoded at 4140 Kbps VBR, without *anything* else (subtitles, DTS, menus. etc). Quality control later, showed fantastic almost indiscernible difference.
    The reason that it is 'bogus' is that it exists but is not accessable by any PGC. If you open the titleset with Ifoedit you will see the PGCs and chapters used. In this case PGC1 is the movie and PGC2 is the small video at the end - I think that the reason for the short PGC is that it stops the easy duplication of the whole disc - you'll find that the play order of the disc will call the small PGC first and if it isn't there will make the disc not play on a standalone player. Therefore, if you want a perfect copy you have to use Scenarist and totally redo the titleset so that it has the two PGCs. Anyway, that aside, if you look at the vob-ids used by the PGCs you'll see that vob-id 1 is not referenced - the movie uses vob-id 2. Therefore you can't reencode the movie until you have ripped out the PGC. It's not difficult to overcome but it may catch out people who are not too familiar with how the disc.

Hope that helps.

HomerJ

5. pgreen50

pgreen50 Guest

Thanx i have now managed to sort it, when telling Smartripper to rip only the film it looks for the largest vob files as this is usually the main film. In this case it was the main film but with the extra duplicated scenes from the film. I used the next title which was more in line with the running time of the film as per the case. It now works fine.

Thanx

6. hagan

hagan Guest

pgreen50, please please help me...Iam having the same problem with x-men getting the end of the film in the middle....how did you use smartripper to get past this?