1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smit fraud fix

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rtrg, May 15, 2017.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am trying to download smit to remove FAKE warnings. I tried to download it from HERE as well as other sites. No go. I turned off my ANTI VIRUS. The file can be saved, but will not download or install. Either an error or the RUN box simply does not appear. Should I download it in SAFE MODE as well as run it in SM? The instructions for download do not mention that> Does it really work? Or is my A/V and other protection programs good enough?

farrandante likes this.
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

what exactly is the problem you are having?or is this a question about what kind of protection to run?

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Why do you worry about fake messages? From the sound of it the file you are trying to install is infected. I figure it is a simple matter to infect a file on AD. If hackers can hack into the Whitehouse email, AD should be a much easier task.

The chances your computer is already infected are nearly 100%. The reason companies pay tens of thousands of dollars for pre-fire walls is even enterprise level fire walls are easily compromised. Home firewalls don't keep anyone out. Server Side Polymorphic Malware has been out for 20 years now. If you don't know about it Google it. That technology defeats AV scanners making them useless. When the head of MacAfee AV left for greener pastures he claimed their software could stop 10% of the attacks and Symantec claimed they could stop 50% of the attacks but that guy was still in charge of AV so he couldn't say his software was useless. In 2000 the random attacks on computer left on but just sitting connected to the internet was about 100 attacks per minute. These were just random attacks probably just going through a list of IP addresses. Today that number is probably per second. With those stats, how can you not be infected? A few years back I only accessed the internet through a virtual computer and any infections were made to a virtual machine. This was considered over kill and extreme but in fact it was useless because my hardware was infected. There is still no defense against hardware attacks today. There is no way you can protect a home computer so just get used to it.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am receiving too many FAKE MS warnings which include the tell tale phone number that identifies the warning as FAKE. SMIT is SUPPOSED to be able to fix these warnings as to remove or prevent them from entering. Issue is that I CANNOT install SMIT under ANY circumstances including SAFE MODE. The last attempt started with a clean reinstall of the OS, then SAFE MODE, the a SMIT attempt. NO GO. The warning have been reduced by another A/V and MALWARE app. I can live with this if I have to. SMIT is the ONLY app I have come across that will NOT install, although it does download, but does not run. I gave up.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have another computer or have access to 1 to connect your hd as secondary to run scans on it?

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have a second computer same model that displays the same issue regarding SMIT. I performed the same steps for other reasons, fresh install of the OS plus the same steps described. Same result. I think the issue is, a quess, that because the app is a command line base it may not be compatible with win 7, despite the statement that it is. I am running 32 bit. The app may be 64 bit. Again it is supposed to be compatible with both as well as VISTA plus. As I said I can live with this. It is annoying but workable. The HDD's are both WD 500 gig bought with win 7 pre installed for simplicity. Did not last long for other reasons. I do have todo back up installed on both but it is not easy to access the towers to install one hdd to clone or do something else with. I do not have a external enclosure. I had one once but the desktop did not recognize the external drive. So most of the suggestions I will get will not work. But I thank you for your interest.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

You are screwed!

It sounds like the same malware that is giving you the message may be preventing the software from being installed. It is likely you are not even running the OS you think you are. That is why your safe mode isn't working the way it should. That is because you don't have a safe mode because the hacker that controls your computer doesn't allow you to have a safe mode. Maybe from a real safe mode you might be able to detect the real boot drive. You likely boot from a hidden drive that you can't detect because your OS will not allow you to see it. The ONLY way you will be able to see that partition is from a bootable CD that manages partitions and was burned at least 10 years ago. That predates the dominance of the hackers for home computing. Anything downloaded today will be tainted. Just because you can see it doesn't help you. The only clean computers you can have never touched the net and have not been touched by a USB (etc) that has touched a computer that was ever connected to the internet. A quick connection will infect the computer. You must use outdated software but who cares? All the important updates are for security. Anything on any other computer is 'owned' by the hacker who controls your home network. You live in a illusory computer environment kind of like the matrix. It is so well controlled you can't tell that it isn't real.

I know I sound like a paranoid nut but I have Acronis CDs burned a decade ago that can see those partitions. They don't even have an MBR associated with them and can't be accessed by partition software I have. Any software downloaded today can't see the hidden drive. It is like science fiction!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I had no idea I was living in a dream world. Most of what you are saying is beyond me. This app is not worth the effort to install if I have to start with a "virgin" desktop. Not practical or even possible for me. I will live with this annoyance. Again not worth the effort to correct.

9. DirkMaste

DirkMaste Member

Hang on a second everybody! First off, that SMIT Fraud fix is 8 years old. It may just not install or work under your version of Windows, even on a pure/clean system. You didn't say what version of Windows you were running. Additionally, what version of what Anti-Virus are you running? You said you turned it off, but some have some hooks so deep that they block activities even when the interface is stopped. Are we sure that these fake messages aren't just browser popups? Can you post a pic of one of these fake messages?

Lets not burn down the forest until we dig a little deeper, eh?

aldan likes this.
  10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Safe mode can be reached by using/typing msconfig from run in start menu if you have unhidden it or command prompt
    Its best to find out what the infection name is then start removal from there with tools required & in the right order.The onscreen messages from the infection you get can be used to identify the infection then web search or better still use youtube (unless 2old has already helped another in this malware section with the same issue,in which case just follow instructions) to remove

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Thanks for the flowers scorp but I haven't seen a smidtfraud infection since XP days..... It was a hole in win2K and XP that was patched by MS with a patch to XP. I can't believe that could be the problem here.
    My wife is ill and I've been pretty tied up but I can recommend that @rtrg contact twinheadedeagle at:
    https://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/
    he can handle any malware problem.......

2oG :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I hope that your wife gets back to good health, 2oldGeek.

farrandante likes this.
  13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

thanks, Grandpa, me too..... I'm not very domestic, lol :confused:

2oG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  14. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Since Agent Orange took me out, almost 8 years ago, my wife has taken good care of me. She had breast cancer, 2 years ago, and I cared for her. It was just a small spot, and they got it out right away. All women should have a mammorgram every year. It saved her life.

15. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Oh, and now, I am not very domestic either.

16. aldan

aldan Active member

whats domestic?my thoughts are with you 2old.

17. ddp

other words he is not very house trained.

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I am in heavy training to run the household..... I run the washer, dryer, vacuum cleaner, dish washer, etc., etc..:eek:

2oG :(

19. ddp

I had to take care of my step-father for about a month & a half after mom died from complications from flesh eating disease. he went for a midnight walk & told everybody at the hospital where he got dropped off by a stranger that I was dead as I had committed suicide so right now you are talking to a ghost. he blames me for mom's death as he says I gave mom the flesh eating disease.

20. hansa

hansa Member

Download and run this. It cannot be blocked and will clean your computer of malware. This software is well known. Check it out yourself first with Google if worried.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/chameleon/