1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smit fraud fix

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rtrg, May 15, 2017.

1. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I just saw this post. That sucks, ddp. I am sorry to hear that.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I don't have to worry about him anymore as he is currently sitting on top of my mother on the entertainment unit

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Oh, my.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

she got an urn & he got a cardboard box.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've successfully cleaned many a smitfraud infected computer and it always involved considerable work, because a smitfraud infection works like a worm by replicating itself in several different files and locations. You will have to locate and delete many of them manually and you will also have to edit Windows registry. As others have stated you will probably need access to a second computer because smitfraud viruses tend to prevent you from downloading fixes, and you will also need a thumb drive to transfer files from one computer to the other. You can start by identifying the version of smitfraud infecting your computer so that you know what you're fighting, and then rebooting your computer into safe mode. You do not want to choose Safe Mode with Networking, because for now the network is you enemy.

Go to your second computer and do as hansa suggested and download an updated copy of Malwarebytes, and then do a search for "smitfraud fix," and get a list of all registry files that might need to be reviewed and edited if needed. If you can copy Malwarebytes from your thumb drive to your desktop, install it and then run it while in safe mode. Then copy and run smitfraud fix, and you will be prompted to reboot. Reboot to Windows normal, update Malwarebytes and run it again and if all is well then you're good to go.

6. hansa

hansa Member